Returning to Work

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

almost_hectic

Okay, I'm only two weeks post-op and all this time on my hands has got me wondering about returning to work. I know right, this should be the last thing I'm thinking about while recovering. Anyway I plan on putting 100% into my recovery and cardiac rehab and best I could guesstimate that would mean a full 12 weeks out of work from surgery date to return to work date. Wasn't easy but I prepared my employer for this.

What I'm wondering though is this. My job is very fast paced and high stress. I'm an advertising agency Creative Director. My days are fast paced, frustrating, often long hours and even weekends sometimes. Very deadline driven with constantly changing parameters. Prior to surgery it would literally wipe me out. Getting off work on Fridays the stress release was so big it would often mean I'd go home straight from work and just go right to sleep.

Now after surgery, I'm assuming I'll be much better able to tolerate the stress, but is it even a good idea? Is it something I should just expect to tolerate? Stress supposedly does such horrible things to your health. Is this something I really need to consider carefully after Everything I've been through with surgery and recovery? Or will I be better than new and able to tackle stress in leaps and bounds?

What have others found in returning to work and an active life?

First thing.. Good Luck whatever you do. I would say after 8 weeks or so of rehab you might be ready to return, even on a shortened weekly schedule. Each person is different depending on the severity of your heart damage before and after heart surgery. In my case the doc's recommended me to retire so thats what I did. But my profession was fast paced and very physical and my heart is damaged still after surgery. I live alone and all my kids are grown so i'm set for the rest of my life. Every situation is different. Hope everything works for the best!

I too have a desk job. At 34 yo, I returned to work 6 weeks after surgery and at 46 yo at 4 weeks after surgery. For both, I was able to take naps at work through the 8 week point.

I believe the best way to recover is to be back in a normal routine. Yes, Cardiac Rehab is important, but that can be done before or after work. It is not an all day thing.

I went back at 4 weeks because I needed a pay check. I took it easy, only being in the office for 8 hours (which includes the time for a nap). My boss was happier with me in the office working short hours than with me at home and having to cover for me.

As you might have figured out, I think that being out for 12 weeks is a little crazy. I bet your doctor will sign a release to work way before that. At two weeks out, I bet it is not even possible to see that. Seeing that the agency will most likely still be in business when you get back, I bet you can see that you may not be replaceable, but they can cover and get things done in your absence. Delegate more, work less. Not that I am good at that.

Well i have the added bonus of an Aflac policy the should pay me to stay home for as long as 6 months so long as it's doctors orders. So not worried about it financially really. The thing is when I first told my boss about my health prior to surgery I stressed to her how critical it was that I was told to TAKE IT EASY, well that lasted about 2 days before it was business as usual and my work load ballooned again! I get it, it's got to get done and were a small agency that relies on me. But it's more than workload, it's the pace and the stress of it all. I really don't see how I could go back to the office in any kind of limited capacity or reduced schedule. And there's definitely no way I could nap at the office, no place for that and it's too noisy. I'm more concerned about the long term scenario and wondering if it's a healthy environment for me unless things could change. But I don't know what to expect for stress tolerance when I'm all healed... Have to discuss with my cardio.
Oh and I'm 44, so far too young to retire unfortunately unless I hit the lottery!

When I returned to work I was laid off from a stressful job so I can't comment about returning to it, but I certainly didn't miss it. In general stress is bad for people but some people thrive on it. Stress is really an internal reaction to external events. Your job doesn't cause stress, how you deal with it does. In my job, my company was cutting back people and piling the work onto those of us that were left. I got tired of it and decided to start leaving at a reasonable hour unless it was truly urgent. That meant some things didn't get done. I explained to my manager how I was prioritizing work and that I didn't have time to get to everything. I was basically told that everything is a priority but it didn't change how I approached the job. I'm sure this was a factor in my being laid off but frankly I was happy to go. Everything is NOT a priority. The job was much less stressful when I accepted the fact that I didn't have to do everything that was asked of me.

I suggest you think about what you really want to do. Maybe this job the way you were doing it. Maybe doing this job differently. Maybe something else entirely.

Another thought is to try meditation. I haven't practiced as much as I want to yet but I find the practice of mindful meditation to be helpful in dealing with stressful situations.

The good news is you don't need to make any decisions today ... See how you feel in another two or three weeks .. Every week makes a big difference ... There has been a lot of good advice provided on this thread ... We are all different .. I am 6 weeks post op and intend going back in two weeks to a job that involves a lot of travel .. However I only have one life and will change some of the things I was doing ... No more getting up at 4am or 4 30 3 days a week and doing 15 hour days ... Something has to give at times and good health is a bigger priority for me now ...

I am the Chief Financial Officer of a manufacturing company that supplies the auto industry. When I had my surgery, we were just emerging from the "nap" the industry was forced to take in 2008-09. (Think of what having your two largest customers going bankrupt does to your company's finances. . . ) I was 63 years old at the time of my surgery. I was off work completely for only about 5 1/2 weeks. I went back part-time until 8 weeks, then went back to my customary 50-hour weeks, with deadlines, bank issues, supplier issues, customer issues, etc. I am now 4 1/2 years out. Business has settled down, but I do not feel that the early return to a stressful job had any lasting impact on my recovery or long-term health. Just try it out in your own situation. If you are comfortable when you go back, just do it and live your life. After healing from valve surgery, I was told that my life and life expectancy was the same as that of any individual my age and in my state of general health who had not had heart surgery. In other words, my surgeon and cardio feel that once we heal from surgery, we are as likely as the next person to have a full and uneventful life.

So, again, as the shoe company says. . . "Just do it!"

Are you only wondering about if the stress will be okay for your heart long term, or is this really a wake-up call scenario about how you're living your life?

Are there things you love about your job? Does part of you love the fast pace? Or is it a millstone around your neck? Are the pay and benefits worth it compared to something else? Is it furthering a lifelong work dream or goal? Do you love the creative or team aspects? Your co-workers? The location?

That said perhaps 2 weeks after surgery is a crazy time to think too hard. Who knows where your brain chemistry is and you probably feel physically terrible still. Steve sounds right, you had surgery to get back to normal, you don't have to treat yourself with kid gloves once recovered. But whether this job is right for you still overall is another question.

I was off for 9 weeks. My job is not as stressful as yours, but it's not stress free. The stress didn't bother me, but my lack of endurance did. The first week, it was all I could do to make it to the car to go home. I was shocked at how exhausted I was.

I'm in no hurry to return to work before I'm 100% ready. That being said, yes I'm wondering about the ability to handle stress after OHS. But yes I'm also questioning if it's time to reconsider my work/lifestyle and if it's really good for me in the big picture scenario. I like my work, I just don't like my working conditions, and can't see them eve changing unless I make the change. Meaning something sorta drastic. But maybe that's just trading one stress for another considering it's more than just a job, it's my livelihood. I put a lot of myself into my work so it makes it difficult sometimes

Hi

almost_hectic;n857979 said:
I'm in no hurry to return to work before I'm 100% ready. That being said, yes I'm wondering about the ability to handle stress after OHS.

speaking for myself I had no physical problem handling stress on returning to work, however due to other life changing events I am now disinclined to put myself in that environment anymore.

But yes I'm also questioning if it's time to reconsider my work/lifestyle and if it's really good for me in the big picture scenario.

exactly. I once worked in Tokyo for one of the biggest financial companies on the planet. I simply don't want to do that anymore, because I want to cut back and enjoy life. Instead of having tons of money and pressure all the time I now have 'just enough' money and live a better happier life.

Next year I'm hoping to backpack about Ireland and Scotland (and blog about taking my INR in all manner of places). As long as one is not a debt serf then the world is your oyster.

almost_hectic;n857984 said:
Congratulation pellicle! So happy for you and the choice you've made
(Just hosing the sarcasm off the concrete from that response)

I get the feeling either I misunderstood what sort of encouragement you needed or you mistook what I was trying to say. I was trying to encourage you that you can do it. Clearly you don't need any assistance.

See ya round, and hope it all works out well for ya

Bye

pellicle;n857985 said:
(Just hosing the sarcasm off the concrete from that response)

Bye

No sarcasm whatsoever. I'm genuinely happy for you and the choice you've made. I can only assume it was a difficult choice to make to walk away from your job, I respect the maturity you've exercised for gaining the greater good, that must be an amazing feeling of liberation. I honestly appreciate your encouragement.

I find it interesting that so many heart patients question their return to work after surgery. Some question their motive, others question their drive, still others consider changing careers completely. This would make a really REALLY interesting psychology study. Since my surgery, I've reconsidered being "just a driver" for my school. I've returned to college, and re-examined my career goals. It's a common dilemma, thank goodness you have plenty of time to ponder while recuperating!

Hi

MrsBray;n857988 said:
I find it interesting that so many heart patients question their return to work after surgery. Some question their motive, others question their drive, still others consider changing careers completely. !

I term it "getting the wake up call to live your life and get out of autopilot".

I can send you an ebook to read if you are interested on the nature or modern work, life and job satisfaction.

"Shop as Soul craft" by Matthew Crawford.
http://www.amazon.com/Shop-Class-Soulcraft-Inquiry-Value/dp/0143117467

I'm a business owner and out of necessity, was doing a little bit of work pretty much right after I got out of ICU. Mental and physical stamina was low however. 5 or 6 months out, working full days, sometimes 7 days a week, plus an hour on the treadmill everyday. I'm not going out at night to the same degree as I was prior to surgery, but that may very well change as I continue to recover.

pellicle;n857994 said:
Hi

I term it "getting the wake up call to live your life and get out of autopilot".

I can send you an ebook to read if you are interested on the nature or modern work, life and job satisfaction.

"Shop as Soul craft" by Matthew Crawford.
http://www.amazon.com/Shop-Class-Sou.../dp/0143117467

I really enjoyed that book also. There is a satisfaction to be had from accomplishing something using your hands AND your brain. I just finished a job, finally, involving my fireplace and a brick wall in the living room. It's been a lot of work but at the end of the day the shower feels great and the beer taste even better. I was going to go with stacked stone but once I stripped the paint off the brick I realized it was that nice old full of character brick so I kept it and did something different. The pictures don'tlook that great because my phone takes blurry shots ever since I dropped it but hey what are you going to do.

Attachments

• 0827152112.jpg
    0827152112.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 117
  • 1440974259594-304542346.jpg
    1440974259594-304542346.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 108
Hi Chris

cldlhd;n857996 said:
I really enjoyed that book also. There is a satisfaction to be had from accomplishing something using your hands AND your brain.

with ya there ...

I just finished a job, finally, involving my fireplace and a brick wall in the living room.

nice job ... looks great! I like how the bricks are then used as thermal mass on the other side of the wall to radiate heat into other rooms. Does the chimney have a shutoff valve?

I just sheeted the ceiling of the bathroom reno last weekend and may just end up attacking the concreting myself too. Considering I'm an academic / IT kinda guy at heart, I really love getting into doing work that I can be proud of.

Hope you're recovery is going as good as it sounds like

pellicle;n858000 said:
Hi Chris

with ya there ...

nice job ... looks great! I like how the bricks are then used as thermal mass on the other side of the wall to radiate heat into other rooms. Does the chimney have a shutoff valve?

I just sheeted the ceiling of the bathroom reno last weekend and may just end up attacking the concreting myself too. Considering I'm an academic / IT kinda guy at heart, I really love getting into doing work that I can be proud of.

Hope you're recovery is going as good as it sounds like
Thanks, I'm doing well and hope all is well on your end also. The chimney is wood burning and has a damper shutoff built into it and I recently added one up on the roof that's controlled by a braided stainless wire that runs down the flue. The job was mostly elbow grease ( stripping paint) and "cipherin " as my dad would say, the only expensive part was the brushed nickel led track lights and the touch dimmer but I guess that's one of those things where you get what yo pay for, 980 lumens out of 14 watts isn't bad. For some reason the pictures came up small, maybe because i posted them from my phone.

Latest posts

Back