Returning To Scuba Diving After Open Heart Surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skeptic49

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Philadelphia, PA and Cherry Grove, Fire Is. NY
Returning to scuba diving after open heart surgery is controversial. Certain post-surgical conditions militate against diving, as does taking anti-coagulants (blood thinners.) Prior to surgery I specifically asked my surgeon about diving after my recovery. He assured me that there were “no restrictions,” those were his very words, to the chagrin of my poor husband Dan. Of course, had I not fully recovered, or if I found myself with one of the many conditions that are a contraindication to scuba diving, then I would not be diving today. However, thanks to a skilled surgeon, some good luck, and determination on my part, yesterday I returned to the sport that I have enjoyed for 36 years. Here are two photos from my diving yesterday in St. Barth, my first time down under since before my surgery last year. The Mooray eel is a baby whose head is no more than a couple of inches in size. The dive site was the North side of Le Pan de Sucre, a small island outside of the harbor near Gustavia, St. Barthelemy.

More photos are here.

jlkdiver16.jpg

eel16.jpg

skeptic49;n863404 said:
Returning to scuba diving after open heart surgery is controversial. Certain post-surgical conditions militate against diving, as does taking anti-coagulants (blood thinners.)

More photos are here.

jlkdiver16.jpg

eel16.jpg

Where can I find information on the health criteria that prohibits scuba diving. I've wanted to learn since moving to a coastal community of Southwest Florida a few years ago. I was actually preparing to go for lessons and certification last summer but that's when I had my surgery instead. I've been wondering now if I'll actually even be permitted to dive or not? It was my understanding that others on here have dived on blood thinners, with medical release from a doctor. But that there may be a depth limitation... Anyhow, not sure how the process of getting a release would work. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

almost_hectic;n863409 said:
Where can I find information on the health criteria that prohibits scuba diving. I've wanted to learn since moving to a coastal community of Southwest Florida a few years ago. I was actually preparing to go for lessons and certification last summer but that's when I had my surgery instead. I've been wondering now if I'll actually even be permitted to dive or not? It was my understanding that others on here have dived on blood thinners, with medical release from a doctor. But that there may be a depth limitation... Anyhow, not sure how the process of getting a release would work. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

You can get a lot of information about health criteria for diving at the DAN (Diver's Alert Network) web site. I'm not sure if they have information specifically targeted to those on anti-coagulants but you should have a look. I would be of the attitude that diving is something that you can do as long as there is no strong contraindication. I doubt that there is any depth limitation other than the standard limits for recreational diving. Good luck.

Very Cool! Congratulations to you for living your life the way you want. I do have one question. Do you plan on diving the same max-depth you were comfortable at pre-surgery, or have you imposed any depth limitations on your post-OHS self? I'm still looking for my first post-OHS dive.

Back