Return to Gym

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CMAC

Hi everyone. First time post, long time obserever of this bulletin board. It is truly a great resource for information and inspiration. On 2/28/07 I had my bicuspid aortic valve replaced with a St. Jude Regent valve and a 5cm aneursym replaced with a Dacron graft. This was my 2nd open heart surgery. I had my aortic valve repaired in August of 1975 by Dr. John Kirkland at UAB, a true pioneer in the field of heart surgery. I must say that considering the magnitude of my recent surgery, my recovery has been speedy and uneventful. As a child, my pediatric cardiologist told me to avoid any isometric excercise (i.e. weightlifting). Of course, I did not listen to him and I became an avid weightlifter over the past 25 years. I never restricted myself from any physical activity and I played baseball and football throughout high school. My cardiologist for the past 20 years never restricted me from weightlifting and he was well aware of the poundages I was pushing (365lbs bench, 495 squat). I can honestly say that despite my valve deterioration in recent years, I have never once experienced a symptom. I have lost 30 lbs (all muscle) since my surgery in February. While I have continued my cardio regimen of running on a treadmill for 30 minutes every other day, I have not touched a weight since my surgery. While running I try to keep my heart rate between 150bpm and 160bpm. My surgeon advised me to refrain from serious lifting for 6 months. His concern being that the sternum needs to heal. He did not place a weight restriction on lifting after 6 months, rather he suggested that I refrain from lifting max poundage. Recent echo revealed that everything is working as designed. No leaks. INR has been holding steady between 2.7 and 3.2. Is there anybody out there that has returned to weightlifting after avr surgery? I would be interested in discussing your experience. I must say it is psychologically difficult not going to the gym after doing so for 25 years, not to mention the transformation in my physical appearance over the last 4 months. 25 years to build the muscle and 4 months to lose it! I must say that I am truly lucky that the aneurysm was discovered during a TEE in February. That was a silent time bomb sitting above my heart just waiting to explode given the amount of physical exertion I was placing it under with my workout routine.

Welcome to the VR community. Glad you found us.

I can't comment on weightlifting after AVR, as I'm not a weightlifter. I am sure others will come by with some insights.

However, I do recall many threads discussing weightlifting so I suggest trying the search tool to find threads on the forums. I did a quick search using "weightlifting" and quite a few threads showed up.

Hi,

Here are two links to threads that dealt specifically with this question. In the first one, look for Robthatsme's post (#6) to see what he's doing these days following a dissection. It's an old thread, but you might contact him via PM.
http://www.valvereplacement.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5348

Here's another one that quotes MarkU; I don't believe he had his aorta repaired, but he does have a mechanical valve. Better yet, he still frequents the Active Lifestyle forum on occasion. Once again, you might try sending him a PM.
http://www.valvereplacement.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6026

Glad you joined us!

welcome to VR. Can't answer that question for you, but wanted to welcome you.

After reading your history, I understand why you needed more characters!;) :)

After my AVR, my cardiologist advised me to give up my five-days-a-week heavy lifting and switch to moderate weights/high reps. At the same time, he was familiar with my lifting background (320 lb bench) and knew that 'moderate' weights for me meant something different for me than for an 'average' patient. A 200 lb bench was 'moderate' for me, whereas he might limit most of his other patients to 50 lbs max.
A contributing factor for me was age (I was 49 at the time of my AVR). My old joints & bones were starting to give me some problems, so giving up heavy weights wasn't that big of an issue or sacrifice.
Now at 54, I still lift about once a week, but most of my exercise now is aerobic. I discovered triathlon training as a great way to cross-train and minimize the wear & tear on my body. Plus, I just really enjoy swimming, biking and running (even though I'm a pathetically slow runner).
After years of trying to get bigger through lifting, my goals now are to get lighter & leaner.
I'm still playing with the idea of attempting a (very slow) half-marathon one of these days.
At 5'7" with a 46" chest and very broad shoulders, people still look at me and think 'weightlifter', not 'triathlete'.
Mark

Thank you for your replies. I just got off the phone with my cardiologist and he told me that given my really good echo results he has no problem with me returning to the gym at this point. He basically told me that I have no restrictions and I could resume my regular workout schedule although he cautioned me to start off slow and listen to my body. This advice seems to contradict what I have read in other members threads regarding lifting weights post avr. I've noticed that many people spoke of a 50lbs weight lifting restriction. I mentioned this to my cardio and he told me that would not apply to me and he stated further that since my ascending aorta was replaced, I have no further risk of deveolping an aneurysm. All my other valves are normal and they are working as designed with no signs of leaks. I have no history of heart disease or aneurysms in my family. In fact, after reading this bulletin board, I took my 2 sons to a pediatric cardiologist for an evaluation and echocadiogram. Both were perfect with no signs of any valvular problems. Aortic valves were tricuspid. Thank God! :) Could anyone articulate the rationale behind the weight restrictions given by some cardiologist? :confused:

It is my understanding that mainly it is because of the risk of aneurysm. So, since you have already had your ascending aorta replaced that would take away some of the risk. You do still have an aortic arch and descending aorta. Also, depending on your valve's design it may not be optimal to put that much pressure on it. If it were me or my son, I would continue to lift moderate amounts. I don't know what your routine is, but if you max out, I would consider giving that up. I don't think that you will see a big decrease in size or strength, but that may depend on your definition of big. I would also be sure to have my arch and descending aorta checked on an annual basis. Also, I don't know how old your kids are, but some of this stuff doesn't show up until puberty or later, so they should continue to be monitored.
I am glad you joined us and that your recovery is going well.

CMAC,

I was a competive powerlifter, bodybuilder, climber and kayaker before my first AVR at 34. It's pure hell, I know, to be told "you can't do this, you can't do that, you can't lift heavy, take up aerobics, bla, bla, bla". I knew more about the dynamics of lifting and my body than they did so I listened to my body and trusted myself. 6 weeks after the first surgery I was back in the gym. Actually, I was back in a week or so just to sit there and be in the one place that was "normal" to me.

At 6 weeks I couldn't even push my body off the floor and in order to do leg extensions I had someone, the local sports anchor, lol, lift the pads for me. Basically I just went through the motions and then at 12 weeks I was back to starting over again, which I hated but thrived on the challenge.

When that valve failed 3 years later I knew what to expect, recovered emotionally and physically faster and was back in the gym in 3 weeks, pushing through the weakness, pain and discomfort. Yeah, I had to start over again but after what we heart surgery patients have been through, it wasn't that bad.

It's true what they say that it takes about a year to be fully normal again, so to speak. Yet you know your body and what you're capable of. You're lucky in that you have a doc who "gets" you. Mine never did and even now they don't. But to this day I continue to lift heavy. I competed in my last show 3 years ago, or two, can't remember now. Ha! The mitral valve is stopping me now but I will deal with it when the time comes.

If you're like me, the thought of giving up what means so much to you is beyond comprehension. It's very hard to deal with, I know. But it sounds like you're good to go!

If you like, send me your email address and I'll send you a picture to show what is possible after 2 valve jobs and going to hell and back.

Sincerely,

Peggy

One thing I forgot to mention in my previous post was that prior to my AVR, I had developed left ventricular hypertrophy (LVH), enlargement of the left ventrical wall, as my valve calcified and started leaking more. The LVH was picked up on my pre-op echos and was a major concern on the part of my cardiologist and surgeon. Fortunately it didn't do any permanent damage and completely reversed itself in about a year.

I also should mention that while my doc wants me to avoid spiking my blood pressure too much by heavy lifting, he also asks me to stay away from approaching my max heart rate during my aerobic triathlon training. I went through some supervised lactic threshold testing a couple of years ago to determine my lactic threshold heart rate (the point where you go from aerobic to anaerobic during exercise). I now wear a heart rate monitor for all my training in order to stay in my target aerobic HR zone, normally about 75% to 85% of my lactic threshold.

Mark

Back to calisthentics / (light) weights about a month post-op

Back to calisthentics / (light) weights about a month post-op

Hello -

I'm 5 weeks post op and just had my follow-up visit with my surgeon. I had my MV replaced with a bovine valve. I've been walking a lot and doing easy stretches and lower body calisthentics not involving the sternum - toe raises, body-weight squats, and body-weight lunges.

At the post op visit, my doctor basically told me to listen to my body and not hurt myself. Hold off on sternum stress (full pushups, full pullups, etc.) for another month or so and hold of on risk of sternum impact (outdoor biking, rock-climbing) until I'm off coumadin and am 3 months post op.

I lost 25# - mostly upper body muscle - and am starting now to do easy stuff to build strength for triathlon and rock-climbing.

I don't do bench presses since they jack up BP so much and I don't do neck bridges any more because of risk of injury but I'll do most other things just starting off light and moving up slowly.

John

Peggy, I enjoyed reading your story. Very inspirational! Somewhat disturbing regarding your valves failing. I'm not sure how to send you my email address. Please assist. Why did your aortic valve fail? Was it mechanical? Now you are having problems with the mitral valve?
Mark, I too was beginning to experience LVH prior to my surgery. Now at 4 months my echo has shown that the left ventricle has regressed in size to almost normal dimensions. The heart certainly is an amazing muscle!
One question regarding coumadin and weightlifting.When you lift weights, your muscles expand to meet the increasing demand placed upon them. This expansion process results in slight tears in the muscle fibers to accomodate growth. Could these slight tears result in problematic internal bleeding?? Or will it just result in black and blue tones under the skin? I have experienced black and blues from heavy lifting in the past when I was not on coumadin.

CMAC said:
Peggy, I enjoyed reading your story. Very inspirational! Somewhat disturbing regarding your valves failing. I'm not sure how to send you my email address. Please assist. Why did your aortic valve fail? Was it mechanical? Now you are having problems with the mitral valve?
Mark, I too was beginning to experience LVH prior to my surgery. Now at 4 months my echo has shown that the left ventricle has regressed in size to almost normal dimensions. The heart certainly is an amazing muscle!
One question regarding coumadin and weightlifting.When you lift weights, your muscles expand to meet the increasing demand placed upon them. This expansion process results in slight tears in the muscle fibers to accomodate growth. Could these slight tears result in problematic internal bleeding?? Or will it just result in black and blue tones under the skin? I have experienced black and blues from heavy lifting in the past when I was not on coumadin.

A word of caution concerning Peggy's post. From rereading her thread, I don't believe that her original aortic valve failed due to issues of being bicuspid. She writes that she developed vegetation on it.
You have had a bicuspid aortic valve replaced along with a portion of the aorta. That is classic BAVD, and BAVD is a connective tissue disorder. If you haven't looked at the BAVD site, you should. Some cardiologists are more up to date on BAVD than others.

Mary, I believe he was asking general questions about experiences of other heart surgery patients who train in the gym and went back into it. You know, positive stories and all. While everyone's surgeries and stories are unique, I love to inspire people with the same interests as me. It makes it all worthwhile.

CMAC, I sent you a PM.

PeggyM said:
Mary, I believe he was asking general questions about experiences of other heart surgery patients who train in the gym and went back into it. You know, positive stories and all. While everyone's surgeries and stories are unique, I love to inspire people with the same interests as me. It makes it all worthwhile.

CMAC, I sent you a PM.

Peggy,
I believe CMAC was inspired by your positive experience. I think we all have been.
However, it's always prudent to point out differences in not only the type of valve being referred to, but also the condition that made the specific valve fail.
But I'm sure you knew that.:)

Latest posts

Back