Retirement?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's pretty much how it's done.

Some people feel they have to bypass the mod and go only to the owner.

Provide proof of these PM's or emails sent through the forum and not personal email and yes, if sufficient evidence is presented, banning will occur. I cannot ban on someones word alone, I need proof.

That's fine, but what I really meant was you banning people who write abusive emails or private mails to you Ross - complaining and directly abusing YOU.

This job is not a popularity contest. The abuse comes with the territory, but if something is really way over the line, yes, I'll ban someone. Hanks done the samething.

This job is not a popularity contest. The abuse comes with the territory, but if something is really way over the line, yes, I'll ban someone. Hanks done the samething.

It only comes with the territory because people know who you are and they feel that it is acceptable on this particular forum. It has worked for so many people in the past to throw temper tantrums. For instance, the War Room and the topic of health care reform were approved by Hank, but as people kept complaining, it was removed.

If it works as in my friend's forum where the moderators are anonymous and you can only put 100 characters in the reason for reporting a post, it limits the abuse. And nothing says the moderator has to read it. I certainly didn't. As I said, I've been a substitute moderator on her forum and it was pretty easy. As soon as it became obvious that the comment wasn't constructive, I hit delete. Since the poster didn't know who I was, I didn't take anything personally. On that forum, as long as people don't attack each other, the language is clean, and it fits the topic of the thread, the post is allowed. If the post is rejected, there is a canned response that goes to the poster, like "Your post was rejected for inappropriate language. You are welcome to rewrite the post and try again." If someone wants to libel themselves by saying things about the school board members or other politicians, that is allowed. The top of her forum has a clear statements that says something like, "These are opinions. These opinions do not necessarily represent those of the owner."

Ross, you know how I work it. You tick me off, I don;t give a warning, I ban you. Now if the member comes back for an explanation and presents a good case, or reconciliation, I give them a second chance and let them back in on probation. I find it works almost 98% of the time.

I know, it sounds tough, but it's tough love. Most people are good at heart. Give them the boot, and they know you are serious and there is no second chance. I know that all too well.

+1 Why didn't I think of this long ago?
Because you are incorruptible...atleast where $$ is concerned:D
Orwell's message must have sunk in after reading Animal Farm in high school.

Last edited:
bring back the War Room. I think it gave us heart patients a reason to feel like we're alive.

I've owned and operated two forums in my internet career and I have to say. Some of the best days of life were when I managed to install the phpBB board software and forum ...and when I deleted the phpBB and forum forever!

I don't envy your job Ross, but thanks for doing it in a stellar manner!

I've owned and operated two forums in my internet career and I have to say. Some of the best days of life were when I managed to install the phpBB board software and forum ...and when I deleted the phpBB and forum forever!

I don't envy your job Ross, but thanks for doing it in a stellar manner!

Shhhh, we don't want wise people to tell those that aren't (no, I'm not calling people ignorant), differently. :D

One thing I notice, this thread is void of some specific people. Hmmm.

No one in their right mind would allow me to moderate anything. But if I was warped to a world where I was a forum moderator I would put a huge wooden sign up on my wall over my computer inscribed with:

WWRD​

I would let the sign be my guide to being a succesful moderator.

In my mind, it's WWHD. Even more so, WWBD. This guy has the most terrific head on his shoulders that even disputing him makes you look stupid.

I subscribe to several cat-related lists and sometimes people get too catty. I went from individual posts to daily digests on some, and on a few went to just looking at them at yahoogroups.

Most of those lists have an admin du jour -- basically a moderator -- and quite frequently someone asks for the admin du jour to please reply privately. You can bet something's out of bounds.
And on these lists, the admins get to voice their opinions. Not sure if it's when they're "off duty" or just anytime.

I couldn't and wouldn't want to be a moderator. I want to keep my hair!

I looked at the War Room a couple of times and that was about it.

One suggestion: Do newbies get a welcome message via e-mail with information about how to use the website that they can print out and keep by their computer -- a list of the forums, how to do searches for certain topics they're interested in, what "Community" means, how to check for new posts, to respond back to threads they start so we know they've read our suggestions, etc.?
Just a thought.

One suggestion: Do newbies get a welcome message via e-mail with information about how to use the website that they can print out and keep by their computer -- a list of the forums, how to do searches for certain topics they're interested in, what "Community" means, how to check for new posts, to respond back to threads they start so we know they've read our suggestions, etc.?
Just a thought.

They get a welcome message, if they enter a valid email address. Most try to enter something that is not theirs, fictitious or plain misleading hoping to avoid spam, which puts them in my face. We do not spam and we do protect your accounts from web bots. ;) Welcome to my scrutiny.

As for forum usage, that's what the tag at the top is about entitled FAQ.

People must learn to READ. It's a basic concept taught early in childhood. If someone can play XBOX, Nintendo, Play station, own a computer, etc, they should be able to READ. Sorry, it's a peeve of mine. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back