Restriction on inimally invasive surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clement

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Hello all,

I am 43, very active (ski, running...) and learned 3 weeks ago that need valve replacement in 2 months due to bicuspid birth defect.

My surgeon has told me that a non-invasive surgery (without breaking the breast bone) is not possible because also need to fix the aorta.

He seems very experienced but still I would like to get confirmation somehow somewhere.

Any good info that you might have?

Thanks,
Clement

Clement, I hope you can provide more information about your situation. You say the surgeon seems very experienced. How many valve replacements has he performed? His office should be able to provide you the numbers. Do you have a copy of your test results? What tests have been run and do you have a copy of the results? There should be some mention of the aorta.
I hope these questions provide a starting point for evaluating the surgeon and the surgery.

Why not consult with another Cardiothoracic surgeon for a second opinion.

Well, yes, always a good plan, but since I'm from the same town as Clement ..... here's the blurb on Dr. Swanson... "Dr. Swanson has been performing heart and lung surgery at St. Vincent Medical Center for over 20 years. He is one of the most experienced heart surgeons on the entire west coast. Educated at Princeton and trained under Dr. Albert Starr and Dr. Alain Carpentier," .....need I say more? It's a safe bet this gentleman knows what he's doing!!! :thumbup::thumbup:

Clement, peruse the Active Lifestyle forum and see how so many very active people such as yourself have made it back to their energetic competitive selves once recovery is over.

GTG, but I'll keep an eye on ya!

:biggrin2::biggrin2: Marguerite

Sorry for not responding sooner.

The reason given (that a minimally-invasive surgery is not recommended) is because of the need to replace part (or all) of the aortic root.

This additional work makes a non-invasive surgery too risky.

Got confirmation with a second opinion at Barnes-Jewish hospital in St Louis, MO and also with communication with Dr. Ciuffo on-line through this website.

I do not mind making a fool of myself questioning the judgment of an experienced surgeon.:) Second and third opinion actually provide an opportunity to ask more questions.

Happy Thanksgiving,
Clement

Hello all,
My surgeon has told me that a non-invasive surgery (without breaking the breast bone) is not possible because also need to fix the aorta.

He seems very experienced but still I would like to get confirmation somehow somewhere.
Any good info that you might have?
Thanks,
Clement

Clement,
I had my ascending aorta repaired due to an aneurysm and originally wanted a minimally invasive procedure. But my surgeon told me the same thing. He would not do a minimally invasive procedure because he needed room to work. I trusted his judgment and am glad I did.

It took several months for my sternum to heal and I could not lift heavy things for a while, but my sternum is now completely healed and as sturdy as before surgery. I have no restrictions. I suggest that you go with the flow of the surgeon.
Best,
John

At AchillesBlog.com, I helped persuade quite a few patients to bully and badger their surgeons (operative and non-op) into following treatment and rehab protocols that were new to them, and outside their initial comfort zone. Clement, I would never want to slow you down in challenging every statement you hear from every expert! OTOH, I'm heading for a full sternotomy for my AVR + Aortic root replacement (and possibly more) in just under a week, DESPITE the fact that my surgeon told me that he and his colleagues do some AVRs with smaller incisions (and MAYBE root replacements, too, I don't know for sure -- sorry!), but he also told me how uncomfortable they are while performing those operations! This is one of many super-personal decisions that a VR patient has to make, in a way that's "right" for that patient, but I promptly crumbled, and decided that I'd go with the longer-slower and more painful and maybe even more infection-risky approach, in return for keeping my surgical team in the meat of their Comfort Zone!!

Good luck with your research, your decision, your surgery, and your recovery!

Latest posts

Back