Replacement with age

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lauratx22

Hi-
I was recently diagnosed with MVP with severe regurgitation and I am 29 years old with a 3 week old baby girl. The cardiologist is referring me to a surgeon. I was wondering at what age you received your replacement and how old are you now?

Thank you-

Laura

Valve disease knows no age limits. We have babies, we have 90 year old adults also. I myself, started this adventure at 33 and I'm now 48.

There are some older threads about having heart surgery right after having a baby. There was a mother of 4-6 kids last year who had a new baby and had to have surgery. She had to abandon breastfeeding (which made me very sad for her) when she went on all of the heart meds after the heart surgery. However, she survived to take care of that baby, which was very, very important. (I was lucky that the doctors never picked up my aneurysm or bad heart valve until after my childbearing was complete.)

Laura, WELCOME to this forum.....it has a wealth of information on just about any valve related topic.

I was 31 and am now 74.

My sons were 6 and 8 yrs when I had the surgery and are now 49 and 51 and my YOUNGEST grandchild is now older than they were when I had this done.:thumbup:

I was 8 when I had repair and 36 when replace the aortic valve. So you can be any age. Just keep getting educated during the process and you will do fine. This is the one of the best places for information. Hang in there.

Hi Laura,
Welcome. Happy you found us but sorry for the reason.
We all understand the shock when you first hear we need open heart surgery. It takes the wind out of anyone's sails.
The success rate of this surgery is exceptionally high and for the surgeons ands hospitals heart floor staff this is 'another day at the office' which is just how I like it. They've seen it all and know how to handle it.
This board has member who are very knowledgable and generous in sharing their information. Any questions you have, ask away.

Age?

Age?

I was originally diagnosed with a bicuspid valve when I was in seventh grade... that made me maybe 13. I avoided surgery with no symptoms until I was 51.

-Philip

Welcome to this terrific forum! I was 42 and am now 54. I chose a mechanical valve and am hoping it'll see me through the rest of my life.

Hi there!

I'm mom to one of the younger VR members. My son was diagnosed at birth with valve defects, had initial surgery at 10 mos., mitral and pulmonary valve replacement at 4 and subsequent pulmonary valve replacement at 6. This mitral valve issue may be something that you were born with and just wasn't detected.

Congratulations on the baby and best wishes!

I was 34, but like you, began having symptoms after the birth of my only child at 32. Although I had AVR then, my mitral leaked for 20yrs before it became severe. I had AVR mechanical at 46, then AVR, MV repair at 54, after endocarditis.

I was diagnosed at three, they say i was most likely born with it. Got it repaired almost 12 weeks ago at age 35.

Hi Laura,

All ages really. I was diagnosed with a heart murmur at 23. Not until I was 52 did they diagnose the stenosis. At 56 I had my AVR. I am now 58.

Good luck Laura! We are here for you any time.

Back