Repair vs. Replacement

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retiredmls

I have scheduled an AVR, but then saw on the heartvalvesurgeon database that a Dr. Bavaria at UPENN does aortic valve repair. Has anyone out there had a repair or know of someone who has. Just want to know some particulars. I am trying to get an appt. with him, but his schedule is very busy.

Aortic valve repair is only an option for leaky aortic valves, not stenotic valves, not sure which you have, but just thought I'd throw that in for you. I wish you well, and I hope you find all the answers you're looking for!

I think most surgeons will attempt a repair if it is possible and going to be a good job. My surgeon knew before he went in that my valve wasn't repairable, but told me if he got in there and things looked differently, he would try to repair....his first assessment was right, I got a new valve.

My surgeon also tried for a repair but knew my biggest nightmare was a failed repair. When he was not able to make an excellent repair, he replaced my valve with bovine as we had agreed in advance.

Most aortic valves, unlike mitral valves, are not repairable. I do not know what your situation is, but most people need replacement.

I had mine repaired and it lasted 7 more years. I'm no fan of repairs as they general fail too soon. Better off just to get a new valve and be done with it.

my 2 cents
Pre surgery, based on angiogram and echos, unquestionable for me, recommendation from surgeon was replace the aortic valve, as the only viable longer term solution.

Mitral, he thought different, pre OHS he thought he likely could repair and the actual solution at OHS was a ring and likely some repair of the MV. My Mitral damage was thougt to be primarily caused by my defective aortic valve, so maybe my case was slighlty different than many others.

Our hospital is a teaching hospital, 6 senior surgeons, 4 op rooms and my confidence in their skills and recommendations could not be questionned.... they do a heck of a lot of OHS and I have been led to believe that more than one senior surgeon may have worked on me because of specialized skills...likely the advantage of a big centralized facility...in Montreal there are only 2 cardiac hospitals, servicing a population of many millions...centralization was done some years ago for cardiac and quite evident to me, that it was a well oiled machine.

So because you may in your area have many choices in surgeon and facilities, this decision may be an additional one i did not face, thankfully...i just lucked out in getting my procedure done at a facility and by professionals that i would highly recommend to anyone....worked well for me and am thankful and oh, can be important for support, my hospital was only 1 1/2 hours away by car and that may be another very important consideration....distance to hsopital should also be weighed in, in your considerations, for you and the rather important close ones.

Take it from Ross, who's bee there/done it, that AVR is very likely the best route, then talk it over with your preferred surgeon(s)

Most aortic valves, unlike mitral valves, are not repairable. I do not know what your situation is, but most people need replacement.

Repair depends entirely on whether your surgeon has the skills to perform a repair. My surgeon was very confident in his ability to repair my BAV and my Aortic Aneurysm even though my valve is stenotic (despite what Angel says and what you read on the Cleveland site). However, I am still choosing to have a mechanical with graft only because I don't wish to repeat the surgery in 5 to 15 years.

I had my mitral valve repaired, so i don't know if i'm useful to you or not. Repair done by a skilled and experienced surgeon is the gold standard. I would postulate that most fails are due to the existing valve tissue being too diseased to begin with, or the inexperience of the surgeon in making repairs. just my 2 cents

If the AV is your own tissue, I'd replace it. If it's a mechanical value that is leaking (usually the area around the valve) I'd try to have it repaired, if possible. My surgeon (Dr. Joseph Coselli) found the coronary arteries were far enough from the valve to make a successful repair - was leaking terribly. If the coronary arteries had been closer, he would have removed the whole valve and replaced it with a valve/shaft combination to go aortic aneurysm replacement.

All in all, it depends on your situation and your surgeons experience.

Roderick

I had my mitral valve repaired, so i don't know if i'm useful to you or not. Repair done by a skilled and experienced surgeon is the gold standard. I would postulate that most fails are due to the existing valve tissue being too diseased to begin with, or the inexperience of the surgeon in making repairs. just my 2 cents

When it comes to the mitral valve, I agree. However, from what I've picked up from this forum and other places, the aortic valve is a lot harder to repair (I don't know why).

My surgeon repaired my mitral valve and after 1 week of being bedridden, 3 chest-tubes, many more tests... He went BACK in and replaced it.. My cardiologist was very upset later to find out that he tried to repair it because she knew it was in need of being replaced and was too far gone to be repaired.. I think he really wanted to save it though because I was only 20 and didn't want me on Coumadin so young, plus I hadn't had any kids yet either.. but, didn't work out that way..

Because my aortic valve leakiness is a result of trauma (it was accidentally perforated during an attempted ablation in 1991), the Drs at Mayo feel like it WILL be possible to repair it with a pericardial patch. I am kind of worried that there is potential for it to not "last", but haven't been able to find any information to support that. I do know that we will be picking out a valve prior to surgery, in the event that it cannot be repaired.
My consult with Dr. Schaff at Mayo is set for Dec. 23, 2010, (and my surgery is scheduled for the 27th) so guess I'll get all my questions answered then!

Cheriejolay - turned out I couldn't have it repaired, and my surgeon does repairs on a regular basis (El Khoury method learned in Belgium). On Oct. 27th, during surgery, he discovered I had a quadricuspid valve and replaced it with a bovine valve. As far as worrying about it not lasting, depending on age, unless you get a mechanical valve, you will need another surgery. My surgeon is in trials for the transcatheter valve replacement and I'm hoping by the time I need a new valve, this method will be perfected (although I don't know if it will be used to replace a replacement). The wait until December will seem so long until all of a sudden the week arrives. (I made my surgery appt in Aug and had it in Oct). Good luck with whatever happens.

Back