repair or replacement?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stilldreamin

I saw my new cardiologist yesterday, and he is sending me for a Tee test. He said the main purpose for that is to determine if I should have replacement or repair to my BAV. He seems to lean towards repair. I can't seem to find a lot on here about this...
Anyone else that has faced this option, what are you thoughts, and why did you choose what you chose?
Thanks again for your help!
Jen

If a repair is possible, it's best to hold on to your native valve as long as possible. That being said, repairs generally don't last very long. Some do, some don't. It's a hard call to make, but try to hang on to your own valve as long as possible.

My surgeon attempted a repair,but it still was leaking,so he had to replace.
It made for a longer surgery,but atleast the attempt was made.
Wish you the best-Dina

My husband went in for BAV replacement (tissue) and he came out with BAV repair. Once in, the surgeon felt this was the best option for my husband. Honestly, it is difficult to be in this position because there isn't much information out there for us BAV repair people. Most people are not very encouraging about it but in our situation, it is what it is!!! The statistics the surgeon gave my husband were very encouraging......but as in everything, only God truly knows. We knew we were signing up for another surgery opting for tissue. So, we just proceed with life and enjoy every day we are given.

Go to the Cleveland Clinic website and search for BAV repair information. They are doing many, many BAV repairs.

I had a mitral valve repair. Whether I would have a repair or replacement wasn't positioned to me as an option, but rather as an outcome depending the extent of the damage. My Surgeon told me he planned to repair it but prepared me for waking up with a replacement should he deem it necessary once inside.

Latest posts

Back