Reliable Lab Testing

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philip B

Here's something you may find interesting with regards to variations in INR tests conducted at medical labs...

On Wednesday, I was the victim of a hit & run accident. Someone rear ended my bicycle while I was engaged in a training ride. I checked into a local hospital following the accident because I knew that I had a concussion and I wanted to make sure that I didn't have any major brain bleeds going.

The local hospital ran an INR check on me and got a result of 3.0. The local CAT scan machine was not working so they transported me via ambulance to another hospital 45 minutes away.

The second hospital ran an INR check on me along with their other blood work and got a result of 3.8. The ER doc told me this was too high and wanted to keep me overnight. I responded that their results were not accurate and suggested that they take another run at it. The second time around with the same lab and techs doing the tests returned a result of 3.4.

Keep in mind that all three tests were run over a six hour time frame. I told the ER doctor that variable test results were one of the reasons I had begun home testing.

On a side note, bicycle helmets do work. Mine probably saved me. When I replace it I'll probably spend more than the $40 bucks my last one cost me.

-Philip

Glad you are ok!! Thank God you were wearing a helmet.
As for the INR you looked good to me, not worth staying in the hospital for,you could home test yourself the next day to see what you get. I have a feeling your INR would be ok! :)

...But didn't you get the memo? Hospital labs are the gold standard testing grounds. :rolleyes: [Sarcasm]Yeap, gotta trust them more then your own personal machine.[/Sarcasm]

Can't imagine what would have happened if I had been in an accident when my INR was recently at 5.8! Heaven knows what frantic scattering of people that would have caused. ;):D:rolleyes:

Glad you are okay - helmets sure do save lives and serious injuries.

Philip, I remember a hospital nurse once telling me that my INR was very high....it was 3.5 (and I wasn't in any kind of accident either).
So, I smiled and said that 3.5 was just fine with me, thank you.
Good thing that you are smart and wore a helmet.

Philip, Now I see why folks wear those silly looking helmets. ;)
I'm with you, buy the best helmet you can find!
You are lucky!

Not long ago I home tested right hand, got INR 5.9, immediately tested left hand, got INR 7.1. Changed to a new batch of test strips, tested 6.8 from the right hand. Meter was working great for wife tested at 1.1, for she's not on warfarin.

Latest posts

Back