Rehab - Do or Not?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aside from that "exclusive" gym membership, for me it was a way to keep my reduced work schedule without any raised eyebrows in the office. I just scheduled my rehab so that I would have to leave work at about 2 PM, rather than 4:30 PM. That way I could get my work done and get on with "my" part of the day.

I'll just add to the chorus here. Yes, they take it very slow at first, but you can get them to change the exercise level after a week or two once they are confident you're ready for it. Most of their clientele have serious underlying heart damage (post-MI or bypass) that makes exercise much riskier than us valve replacement types. Still, I think they are doing the right thing. Also, once they accelerate your exercise level, expect them to still be concerned at times when they see your heart rate at 160, again because that would be a serious red flag in most of their clientele.

Sure, you could do rehab or your own, but will you? I found the regular schedule of my rehab sessions, the charted progress, the heart rate and BP monitoring, the periodic counselling of the staff, and the review and exercise plan they gave me after I completed the 12 Week phase "phase 1" program to be very, very helpful and probably the most important thing in the success of my recovery.

I would definatley go to Rehab...I did for a month and it was just what I needed to get back in the swing of things with my exercise. Granted I wasn't at the point that I could start running again, but I could really walk fast by the time I completed the program.
Was very reasssuring to see that I could push my walkiing pace and time with every session.
Besides, you get to meet new folks and learn some heart healthy habits...

For the first few sessions they wanted me to go at a slower pace, even though I felt I could do more. After that they allowed me to bump it up at a quicker pace. It was comforting to be hooked up to heart monitor while working out and it helped build up the confidence that if my heart was beating hard due to the exercise, it was okay.

I'm meeting with my cardiologist next week...5-1/2 weeks post surgery. I'm probably going to do rehab for all the reasons above...monitoring, answering questions...etc. I've been walking a brisk 4 miles every day (4mph pace) and even jogged a little today...albeit slowly. I may not go for weeks on end, but at least it will give me an opportunity to see how my HR and BP change over time as I increase my load.

MVR 5/14/12

I just "graduated" a few weeks ago after 6 weeks of rehab instead of the expected 12 weeks. After 3 or 4 sessions with no symptoms at all and perceived exertion levels on the low side, I asked if I could start to push a bit. The nurses agreed and I did. By the end of my 6 weeks, I had met all the goals I had set on my first visit and then some. I went from being short of breath walking across a room before my surgery to starting to jog on the treadmill the last few times I was at rehab. I have the confidence to push myself now at home and am not afraid to do anything ( wihtin reason, of course!). The hardest part now is to "just do it" and keep it part of my daily routine. I definitely recommend rehab and would suggest an honest discussion with the nurses if you feel you want to push things a bit. But I would make sure everything is OK for a few sessions first.

I was on the 2nd machine tonight and the nurse looked at my heart rate and said 'This really isn't much effort for you, is it?' So........FINALLY!!!! They put me at a little faster clip on the next machine and my heart rate actually broke 100. And...I saw someone that hasn't been there during my appointments jogging! Wow! That treadmill DOES go faster. There's one other person besides me on a monitor. In comparison, I'm so much farther ahead of most of the other participants and most of them are having a harder time of it. But...I'm going to give it a few more sessions.

Even with all the complications I had in my surgery and recovery, I found myself ahead of almost all of my "classmates" - even those who were well into the 12-week plan when I arrived. The better rehab facilities realize that we all recover at different paces and from different start points, so they adjust accordingly.

Go for it!

I was on the 2nd machine tonight and the nurse looked at my heart rate and said 'This really isn't much effort for you, is it?' So........FINALLY!!!! They put me at a little faster clip on the next machine and my heart rate actually broke 100. And...I saw someone that hasn't been there during my appointments jogging! Wow! That treadmill DOES go faster. There's one other person besides me on a monitor. In comparison, I'm so much farther ahead of most of the other participants and most of them are having a harder time of it. But...I'm going to give it a few more sessions.

Glad to read that they've finally "seen the light", more or less. Though, I'm surprised you got "'tude" from the nurses.

It just goes back to what I noted earlier this year when I did Cardiac Rehab following my 11/11/2011 OHS ... the PLACE where you do the Cardiac Rehab matters just about as much, if not more, than the CR itself. I had AWESOME nurses ... and a great cast of "supporting characters" who were rehabbing right along with me. It was FUN!!!!!!!!! Wish I could go back....

Cort | 38.m.IL | pigValve + paceMaker + cowValve | 5 MCs + 1 Caprice Classic
CHD.MCs.CC + RoadTrips.hobbies.RadioShows.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"It goes so fast" __ Jodee Messina __ 'Was That My Life?'

I did rehab because I was afraid of v-fib during my recovery. It is a good way to get back in the saddle.

Hey Knight - I tried to send you a private message but it wouldn't go through.

Sorry ... if you want, Email me:
faithcubsmc2691
@
aol.com

dcc617 said:
(TOTALLY off topic for a moment) Elgin, eh? Born and bred here.

NO kidding! Small world! I was born here, too, at the now old and soon-to-be-gone Sherman Hospital. (They opened a new one west of the river, along Randall Rd near I-90.)

How long were you here? Where did you live? Been back recently?

Cort | 38.m.IL | pigValve + paceMaker + cowValve | 5 MCs + 1 Caprice Classic
CHD.MCs.CC + RoadTrips.hobbies.RadioShows.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"Let me slip away" __ Gordon Lightfoot __ 'Carefree Highway'

Latest posts

Back