Rehab Completed

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chilihead

I graduated from my cardiac rehab today and am starting to ride my bicycle again. I feel good and am only on Toprol 50MG and a baby aspirin.

Still having a bit of a problem with the nerve damage on my tongue but getting used to it.

I strongly recommend the cardiac rehab to anyone having valve replacement.

Regards,

Jim
Ross Procedure 11-18-03

Hi Jim-

Good to see you and to hear that your rehab is over and you're graduating to your bike. Must feel good.

Sorry to hear that you are still have problems with your tongue. What do the docs think, will it eventually go away?

congrats.gif
Another graduate! **sniff** I feel like a proud parent watching my kid on the stage when I read these posts. I am so happy for you! Hey are you taking that baby aspirin or slipping it to that cutie pie next to you in the pic?

My Dad went into a rehab facility immediately after being in the hospital for a week and I think that it was a terrific segue to his time back home. It reacquainted him with daily tasks, strengthened him physically and gave him confidence. The staff was just terrific. I look forward to reading of your continuing progress.

all the best,
suz

Congrats, Chilihead---have missed you!!

So glad everything is "almost" back to normal.

Evelyn

Hey we missed you. I'm on the same meds you are and it's 7 1/2 months since my Ross. I didn't get cardiac rehab though. The treadmill is my best friend till the weather gets better here. It won't be long now. I'm glad to hear you are doing so well (except for the tongue). Keep up the good work!
Heather

Jim,

Congratulations on finishing rehab and getting back to *normal*, whatever that is!

Come to think of it, *normal* for us post-valvers is pretty good, especially compared to the alternative ;)

Congratulations Graduate!
I was wondering about cardiac rehab. Does everyone get it? and When do you start it? If I remember right, you were very active pre op and I see you are a few years younger than me. So I guess I may be a canidate for rehab.
It's funny, I'm two weeks before my surgery and up to now I couldn't think of anything past it. I guess I am really ready to get it over with and go on with life. Of course it doesn't hurt that I am going to be a Grammie again, about 3 weeks post op. Life goes on, and there is so much to do!
Kathy H

<< I was wondering about cardiac rehab. Does everyone get it? and When do you start it? >>

Kathy, from what I've read here not everyone gets it, and some insurance companies don't approve it for valvers. (They almost always do for coronary bypass patients.) I think somewhere around six weeks or so after surgery is when most people start it.
My HMO doesn't offer cardiac rehab. My cardio doesn't even think it is all that useful. He thinks that you will do just as well if you follow an exercise program at home. I told him I thought I needed a more structured program and I would pay for if I had to -- so he has OK'd me to go into a cardiac rehab that is offered by a different hospital. I am seeing the rehab people on 3/26 for my first evaluation by them. I don't know exactly when I'll start, but hopefully pretty soon after the 26th. I am five weeks post op today (TODAY!!!!!!! -- seems amazing, only five weeks ago at this time I was trying to throw up in the ICU!!!).

<< It's funny, I'm two weeks before my surgery and up to now I couldn't think of anything past it. I guess I am really ready to get it over with and go on with life. Of course it doesn't hurt that I am going to be a Grammie again, about 3 weeks post op. Life goes on, and there is so much to do!
Kathy H >>

I found that the closer I got to surgery the more I started thinking about life after surgery, so what you are describing sounds right to me. About a week before the operation I consciously started thinking ahead: instead of "In a week I'll be in the OR having this guy with the goofy haircut that I barely know cutting me open" I'd say to myself: "In TWO weeks I'll be back home, getting well." It worked for me (most of the time).
Congratulations about the new grandkid -- now there's something to think about & look forward to! Except, remember, you are not supposed to pick up anything over five pounds for a month or so after surgery, and that includes babies!

Oh, and Jim, congratulations on finishing rehab! I'll be starting, hopefully, two weeks or so! I am really looking forward to it.

Rehab is good. At first I thought it was silly but I really came to like it and it's great to be working out with other people with heart issues. One guy had 15 stints! I think you could do it yourself at home if you had a heart rate monitor and a blood pressure checking device. I got stronger and was glad I went through it. I started about 5 weeks after my surgery.

Best of luck,

Jim
Ross procedure 11-18-03

UGH!

Ok, the BIG key to cardiac rehab is that they hook you up to monitor your heart function, check your resting rate, working rates, and BP's AND they keep a good eye on you all the time.

Well, a good rehab clinic does that anyways, not all are the same....

That's all important because there's someone SPECIFICALLY keeping an eye on your heart and what it's doing while you're exercising. Most, not all, of us who've had valve replacement have had our hearts cut open and stuff ripped out and other stuff sewn back in. That's not exactly a very nice thing to do to the heart and sometimes they don't feel very well afterwards. Sometimes that can lead to problems later on and frankly, I'd rather be on an exercise bike in a rehab clinic when that happens than out on the street trying to hail a cab.....

Rehab is an exercise program, but they place an emphasis on making your heart stronger and healthier and they'll be the first ones to spot a problem if there is one, PLUS, hopefully, they'll catch it before something dramatic happens like you passing out.

Outside of the potential expense involved if your insurance doesn't cover it (or you don't have any to begin with) there shouldn't be any reason NOT to have cardiac rehabilitation after surgery.

I've also heard, even on this list, of pre-operative patients going to cardiac rehabilitation programs...

I recieved physical and occupational therapy when I was in the hospital after surgery. Part of that was because of the length of stay I had and the severity of my condition, but I think most patients get some of the physical therapy, at least one or two visits before leaving. Cardiac rehab was just an extension of that.

I walked every day when I got home from Cleveland. It was pretty slow at first. I gingerly made my way up the street and back again being towed along by my 4 y/o son who was much faster than me at the time. It took a fair amount of effort but it was well worth it, just to be home at around familiar surroundings again, sun and fresh air and NO HOSPITAL... I pushed myself to do it, but it wasn't that hard. A few weeks later I was in rehab and I just got stronger and stronger. Now I'm about 90% of what I was a year before I started getting sick. Before I got to Cleveland, I could barely move around a room in the house.

Latest posts

Back