red/ brown spots

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mom2angel

Premium Level User
Supporting Member
I have a question about these red spots that we get on our skin when on Coumadin. This is not normally something I worry about. I am not worrried not, but am curious about them. I have been on Coumadin for 32 years. In the last year or so, I have been developing more of these spots that tend to be permanent. I have a few permanent ones on my torso area from internal bleeding after C-Sections. One surgery was 7 years ago, and the other was 2 years ago. Lately, I have been developing more spots on a daily or weekly basis, and they tend to be permanent. The red spots are raised.

I am not worried about them, but also want to make sure that there isn't an underlying issue that I should be paying attention to. I also wonder if it is just a buildup of Coumadin in my system from prolonged use. I take 13 1/2mg daily, and have been taking Coumadin for 32 years. Is anyone else dealing with red spots showing up frequently? Thanks for your responses.

My first thought with the brown spots could be 'age spots' as for the raised red spots, I have one on my arm. It's slightly raised and just thought another beauty mark was appearing, but I really don't know what either could be in your case.

If you're somewhat concerned, ask your doctor. Sorry that I could be more help.

The most common kind of permanent tiny red spots are cherry angiomas, which are harmless. Not sure they're anything to do with coumadin as I'm not on that and I have quite a few on my torso, especially near my C-section scar and chicken pox scars (got chicken pox as an adult after the birth of my son) and on my upper arms too. Here's a link about them http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherry_hemangioma You should check with your doc if you are concerned though.

My dermatologist (I see him every year) says that coumadin/warfarin does nothing to the skin and there is nothing to "watch out for". There is also no increased risk of problems due to sun exposure. I am white, fleshy and got/get little red spots both before and after my OHS. Whatever causes them is not related to coumadin.

Middle age? At 56, middle age is where they say I'm at, but with a life expectancy of 75, middle age is just about over :)

I just got the senior bus fare twice this week w/o even trying, so it's not all bad. :)

Latest posts

Back