Recovery Question

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cp172

Hi Guys,

I am a little over a week past surgery. I was told to walk three times a day at ever increasing lengths. I am up to 7-8 minute walks with no problems. I am to increase up to 10 minutes per walk. This typical? Other than the walks I am eating,sleeping and breathing.My wife has me under house arrest so I not geting out any.

cp172 said:
Hi Guys,

I am a little over a week past surgery. I was told to walk three times a day at ever increasing lengths. I am up to 7-8 minute walks with no problems. I am to increase up to 10 minutes per walk. This typical? Other than the walks I am eating,sleeping and breathing.My wife has me under house arrest so I not geting out any.

House arrest:D LOL...she will cut you loose soon enough....I have always heard to do as much as you feel up to.....Now don't start jogging but just let your body be your guide.....Glad you are up and moving:D

Your body will let you know if it's OK.
You still have a long way to go so just take it slow.
By my second week I was walking a mile twice a day, seven days a week.
It really got me back in shape fast. I did that for many months and still do whenever we can. Just a bit cold up here right now so it's on the treadmill. Can't wait to get back outside.
Rich

Yes, typical. I am with cooker, do as much as you feel you can, at least that is what I was told. I was going up and down stairs right away too. Get that new valve working!! Good luck!

This is one important question that cardiac rehab answered for me, and I recommend that it to you too. I, like most, wanted to exercise after surgery, and if a little exercise would help me recover, a lot of exercise would help me recover faster, right? Cardiac rehab is important because they tell you how much to exercise so that you do neither too much nor too little.

I had to do a 10 min walk while I was in the hospital, Yes......right after surgery. and to walk 10 min 3 - 4 times a day at home eek: My other half would take me to the mall to do the walking and to get some fresh air, that is, if I wasn't doing enough around the house.
Remember to let your body be your guide, and you'll be fine.

Carry on Mate

JimL said:
This is one important question that cardiac rehab answered for me, and I recommend that it to you too. I, like most, wanted to exercise after surgery, and if a little exercise would help me recover, a lot of exercise would help me recover faster, right? Cardiac rehab is important because they tell you how much to exercise so that you do neither too much nor too little.

Not all people are offered cardiac rehab and not all insurances cover it:confused: ?.I know of one such company that covers it for bypass but not valve:confused: :confused: ?.If some one does not have access to rehab and has questions they should ask their cardio?.But I feel like your body is the best guide as long as you don?t overdo or get lazy.

I did the same thing..just walked in house the first week..and with help of Hubby outside a little the 2nd week..Was not shy about riding the motor-carts at grocerystore/Wal-mart the 3rd week...Afraid someone would run into me with their carts.:eek: ..I was fine after around my 4th week..walking alone..With this crazy weather we are having in Georgia..Better to stay inside.until it gets warmer....Plus lots of flu/ ect going around..:eek: ...One day at a time..Bonnie

Your pace sounds similar to mine post-op. We had ice and snow in Feb '05, so my first week or so of walking was short rounds, 5-10 mins at a time, inside the house. Kinda boring but better than falling on the ice. Just keep gradually increasing the walking and eventually your wife will let you out of "house arrest." :D Best wishes for continued steady progress...

Ditto.....the first couple of weeks I did short walks, but increased the frequency, as opposed to longer walks but fewer of them. As I was recovering in winter, and could only walk around the house, that seemed to be appropriate as its pretty hard to just walk around in circles for any great length of time. :eek: As others said, let your body be your guide. Best wishes and good luck with your recovery.

Everyone's recovery pace is different, based on age, what shape you were in before surgery, what other health problems you may have, and even how your body reacted to the surgery. You can only truly measure yourself against yourself.

That you're walking is good: what's not good is lounging around after the surgery without any real movement, as if you were sick.

Best wishes,

Here's what I was told:

Week 1: Walk 3 - 8 minutes, three to four times daily. Total 12-20 min.
Week 2: Walk 8 - 12 minutes, three to four times daily. Total 21-30 min.
Week 3: Walk 12 - 17 minutes, two times daily. Total 20-30 min.
Week 4: Walk 17 - 22 minutes daily.
Week 5: Walk 22 - 26 minutes daily.
Week 6: Walk 26 - 32 minutes daily.

I actually hesitated to send this, because clearly everyone is different -- different severity of surgery, different general health condition, different medications, etc. The advice given earlier is best: Do not exceed what you feel you are capable of, and call your cardiologist for his/her guidance also. However, I personally needed goals to reach for, and the figures shown above worked well for me.

Best wishes for a steady, uneventful recovery.

My surgeon told me to walk a little more every day and did not give me specifics. I walk a total of 45 minutes a day but in 10 to 15 minutes increments. I am four weeks today. I'm sure everyone gets different instructions. Good Luck Earline

Were any of you told you could use your treadmills at low speeds/no incline for walking early in your recovery? I am hoping they'll let me do that. DH and I are walkers and walk at least 2+ miles almost every day but I think I would rather use the treadmill for short walks several times throughout the day rather than 'pound the pavement' as we are accustomed to.

I started using my treadmill flat incline, slowly at three weeks post op. I didn't even think to ask my doctor so I do it but wasn't given permission to do so. Maybe others will come along that can help us out. I prefer to walk outdoors but the weather doesn't always cooperate.
Earline

More frequent short walks...

More frequent short walks...

I agree with what others have said...first and foremost, I was told to listen to my body. I actually over-did it a bit yesterday (9 days post-op right now), so I'm feeling it today. It was emphasized to me over and over again that SHORT, FREQUENT walks are much better for your recovery than LONG, LESS FREQUENT walks. This will also give your body ample time to let you know if you are doing too much (I didn't follow my own advice from yesterday).

Take care,
DA

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the comments.:) I think I will stick to the three walks a day. I did 10 minute walks yesterday and was really tired by bedtime.My wife said I had a bad night last night..I do'nt know about it since I thought I had a good nights rest. She says I moaned all night and at one point she sat up with me.
I do not remember a thing.

I have woke myself a few times making weird noises. Not sure what this is all about. Anyway I am 2 weeks post surgery and doing fine.

cp172 said:
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the comments.:) I think I will stick to the three walks a day. I did 10 minute walks yesterday and was really tired by bedtime.My wife said I had a bad night last night..I do'nt know about it since I thought I had a good nights rest. She says I moaned all night and at one point she sat up with me.
I do not remember a thing.

I have woke myself a few times making weird noises. Not sure what this is all about. Anyway I am 2 weeks post surgery and doing fine.
Ever since surgery, I now talk in my sleep and make moaning noises. Never did that before.

Rachel & Guys,

I told my wife Rachel said it was ok to go to the hardware store. Sorry..She did not buy it.At this time I am under the total control of nurse "Ratched" (did I spell this right?).

Frankly I am enjoying the pampering. :) I can point at the remote and moan and everyone in the family rushes to get it to me.I have always been very independent but after hearing what the family had to go through while I slept during surgery if it makes them happy to pamper me then that is fine.I could get used to having a 24/7 concierge. But I head back to the surgeon next Wed. and I expect to get most of my restrictions released.I just hope I am brave enough to leave my cardio bear at home when I return to work. Having him sit at my desk would probably destroy my tough man image.

Ross....I talked in my sleep before my surgery. I guess I can be assured I will have a private room on my business trips now as who wants to room with a talking, moaning, noise making room mate? :D

Latest posts

Back