Read This If You're Waiting On An AVR

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pgammo

Hello friends,

Just thought I'd write a word of praise for all of you soon-to-be AVR patients. Leading up to my AVR, I was so stressed, anxious, and scared. This website helped me out a lot by providing me with a ton of information, BUT often times, more information led to more stress for me because I learned of all the possible outcomes and variables.

I want to share my post-op experience. I am 26 years old and a little over 2 months post-op. Here goes:

I played football last weekend -- AS THE QUARTERBACK! I walk, jog, and sprint; I've been working two jobs since 1 month post-op; I've maintained therapeutic INR (5.5mg) since 3 weeks post-op; my HR is lower and healthier than ever; I wrestle with my children; my incision is healing great (still ugly looking though); I can do push-ups again (very few, though); my BP is perfect; I have been sleeping on my side since 2 weeks post-op, and on my stomach since 5 weeks post-op; with pro biotic and vitamin C intake, I haven't gotten sick, while my wife and children have; I have been living a NORMAL life -- and EVEN BETTER THAN MY PREVIOUS ONE!!!

I forget that I had an AVR everyday; it is the strangest thing. But I always end up remembering when I do something physically demanding and I think to myself, "Is this normal? Do others on this forum forget that they had an AVR as often as I do? Maybe I should take it easy." I don't know how I'm supposed to feel about that, but oh well, right?

Yes, I do bruise a little bit easier, but not much. Yes, I do bleed a little longer when I cut myself shaving with a razor, but nothing noticeably different. Yes, I can hear my valve ticking, but it gives me great comfort, and many times, I can't even hear it (instead of counting sheep to sleep, I just count my ticks.. hehehe).

So, there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I am one of the biggest hypochondriacs in the world, yet this has been a great experience thus far! If I can do it, so can you! I do understand that my experience may be slightly better than average because of my age, but honestly, it is whatever you make of it. Listen to your body, let your sternum and heart heal, and you will be back to doing everything better than you previously were IN NO TIME!

Oh, and I have a wife and 3 kids to keep up with!!!

Soon-to-be AVR'ers, do not fret!

If you have any questions for me, please do not hesitate to PM me. If you need some encouragement or prayer, I am here to help with that!

God bless you all!

What a great, positive post and such a favor you do for those awaiting their surgery.
Many/Most (?) of us have experience not that different than your's. I'm a good deal older and I healed close to how you describe though not quite as fully, as fast but definitely bump free and quickly enough to be very grateful.

You are doing Great!!!
Congratulations and thank you so much for sharing

Despite my great fortune in having successful, easy recovery, especially my second OHS, not one day goes by that I 'forget' I've had two OHS. I think of it every day despite effort to put it out of my mind. :shrug:

I played football last weekend -- AS THE QUARTERBACK! I walk, jog, and sprint; I've been working two jobs since 1 month post-op; I've maintained therapeutic INR (5.5mg) since 3 weeks post-op; my HR is lower and healthier than ever; I wrestle with my children; my incision is healing great (still ugly looking though); I can do push-ups again (very few, though); my BP is perfect; I have been sleeping on my side since 2 weeks post-op, and on my stomach since 5 weeks post-op; with pro biotic and vitamin C intake, I haven't gotten sick, while my wife and children have; I have been living a NORMAL life -- and EVEN BETTER THAN MY PREVIOUS ONE!!!

I forget that I had an AVR everyday; it is the strangest thing. But I always end up remembering when I do something physically demanding and I think to myself, "Is this normal? Do others on this forum forget that they had an AVR as often as I do? Maybe I should take it easy." I don't know how I'm supposed to feel about that, but oh well, right?

Yes, I do bruise a little bit easier, but not much. Yes, I do bleed a little longer when I cut myself shaving with a razor, but nothing noticeably different. Yes, I can hear my valve ticking, but it gives me great comfort, and many times, I can't even hear it (instead of counting sheep to sleep, I just count my ticks.. hehehe).

God bless you all!

Thanks for the post. You've pretty much nailed it for me as well. Back then, before the Internet, information wasn't as available as it is now and I was not aware of all the "what ifs". My experience post surgery "mirrows" yours. Four weeks after my discharge from the hospital, I passed a physical to work for a very large company (my surgery was shortly after I graduated college), my wife and I, with two kids, moved into a new home 100 miles from the hospital and universiity. I have seldom let my valve or ACT interfere with living a long, healthy, normal life. I wish you continued success in living with your valve.....it's only a "bump in the road".......and not even a very big "bump" anymore.

Peter, this was an awesome post! I feel the same way. Very encouraging for those in the waiting room. We should bump this up once a month or so. Perhaps, you can set a reminder on your calendar and bum this thread on your monthly anniversary.

Peter - Thanks for your wonderful post, and for bringing up a very important point. Many younger patients read the posts here, and what may be great progress for the older folks may seem pretty dismal to the younger ones. You've clarified the point that we all seem to do really well - in an age-appropriate manner. The things I've been able to do thrill me, but my accomplishments would make a young man cry. I'm about 35-40 years older than you are, so I'm doing fine for my age. That's the point -- almost all of us do that. We do fine for our respective ages. Younger patients take heart (pun intended)! You will not go into surgery in your 20's and come out in your 60's! You will, after whatever recovery your body needs, most likely pick up life exactly where you left it. This surgery is a new lease on life, almost a "do-over" for most of us.

Also, especially to the younger folks here, we (the older ones) are very glad you're here. You can give future young patients the guidance that we, as older patients, cannot offer from our own experiences.

Bravo!

..........This surgery is a new lease on life, almost a "do-over" for most of us.

Also, especially to the younger folks here, we (the older ones) are very glad you're here. You can give future young patients the guidance that we, as older patients, cannot offer from our own experiences.

Bravo!

VERY well said!!!!!

Thank you so much for your post! You read mine (48 year old deciding on the surgery and in process of scheduling it) and commented, which was appreciated. As someone who is still in shock and getting more nervous by the day with all of the horror stories I have been reading regarding ICU, hospital, and after-care recovery, it is refreshing to hear a positive experience. Sorry to say it has not assuaged my fears :), but any positve news certainly helps! Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back