Rapid Heart Post-Op? Back Pain?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pgammo

Hello all,

My heart rate has been around 75-100 since leaving the hospital on Atenelol. For the last 2 days, my heart rate has been lingering around 90-110 with/without the Atenelol. Also, I've been having some back pain. It is possible that the pain is from sleeping on my back, as I am a stomach sleeper.

Did any of you experience higher heart rates post-op? Is this normal? Why does this happen? How long did it last?
Did any of you experience back pain post-op?

Thanks all!

My first response is, what do you mean with or without the atenol? You should not just stop a BB, you need to come off them slowly, or your heart will hate you! That said, have it checkout out, no harm, no foul!

Most of us have some back pain/shoulder pain post op due to the odd position they place our bodies during the surgery.

I agree you may wish to get checked out. Why take a needless risk?
I also agree you should not stop BB on your own. If you were prescribed any medication of that sort, only stop it with your doctor's approval.
Let us know how you are doing.

I haven't stopped my beta blocker. Sorry for being unclear. What I meant was that my heart rate doesn't seem to be affected by the BB; in other words, it's high regardless. After my surgery, the hospital was refusing to release me because of a high heart rate. They had me on 100mg of metropolol and I was still at around 110-130 resting. I asked for Atenelol and that immediately brought me down to the mid-80's. Since being home (almost 4 weeks post-op), my heart rate has been around 75-100 with Atenelol (50mg/day). For the last 2 days, I've been at about 90-110 bpm. Was just wondering if anyone else had experienced this and what their experience was like.

I vaguely remember a few posts regarding post op patients that had fluctuating heart rates for a few months, which eventually figured themselves out.

I had the same thing happen about 2 months after surgery where my heart rate jumped up to the 80's and 90's even with Atenolol (25mg daily) and my blood pressure rose (I was then prescribed 5mg of Lisinopril dailiy). Spoke with my cardiologist about this and he said it is nothing to be worried about, that this happens to some as the body is still going through the healing and adjustment phase. He said over time, things should start to work itself out.

But like the others have said, get it checked out.

I had a lot of back pain after surgery, but it went away. Not sure how soon, probably a couple of weeks at most. Try ice packs to help the pain and muscle tension. I learned that trick when I had neck surgery last summer.

Back pain may not, in fact, actually be coming from your back.

Sometimes chest, diaphragmatic or abdominal issues can manifest as "referred" pain, ...it can feel as though the source of the pain is in your back, when in fact the source is irritation of the diaphragm, from some blood or air, bowel pain etc.
I had biliary colic, from a gall stone in the post op phase, and it felt at times like someone had hit me just below the scapula with a base ball bat...it turned out to be "referred" pain...not back pain at all, but pain that was caused by a gall stone.

Also, depending on what operation you had, remember your chest may have been cut and ribs spread apart, and the ribs not only connect to the sternum but also to the spine in the back, and the poor old ribs mght just be a bit sore and that can feel like back pain. Your pericardium can sometimes be filled ith carbon dioxide by the surgeon to assit in cutting through it, and small amounts of blood, body fluid, surgical sealant etc can collect anyhare and cause irritation inside the body, which can then in turn cause referred pain to the back or shoulder ...or wherever

Also, the surgeon may have put his knee into your back to yank out your heart valve....just joking.

I had really really bad right shoulder tip pain...and have never had that before...it turned out to be some fluid had accumulated on the diaphragm, and referred shoulder tip pain is a classic sign of this condition. I thought I had slept on my shoudler in a funny way. The fluid on the diaphragm was seen on a chest xray and it didn't need any treatment thankgoodness, it just went away by itself, and so did the shoulder tip pain....phew.

Pain can be a very challenging symptom, and it may not be what it seems to be....note the time of onset, the nature of the pain, the exact location, anything you were doing at the time, the severity (rated on a scale from a 1/10 for very mild pain to 10/10 pain for the worst pain you can imagine)...my back pain from the gall stone (biliary colic) was absolutely "10/10" in severity and it built up quickly from 0/10 to 10/10 over a minute or so, and then eased after several minutes, only to keep coming and going for a few hours, until, I am told, the stone had passed...phew... and liver function and enzyme test etc confirmed the most likely cause was a gall stone....completely unrelated to my heart surgery. Rotten bad luck!...and absolutely the wotrst pain I have experienced ever!

Always note any abnormal pain, and seek a checkup with teh doctor, because you simply cannot self diagnose problems accuartely, and it could be something very nasty...even a heart attack.

I haven't stopped my beta blocker. Sorry for being unclear. What I meant was that my heart rate doesn't seem to be affected by the BB; in other words, it's high regardless. After my surgery, the hospital was refusing to release me because of a high heart rate. They had me on 100mg of metropolol and I was still at around 110-130 resting. I asked for Atenelol and that immediately brought me down to the mid-80's. Since being home (almost 4 weeks post-op), my heart rate has been around 75-100 with Atenelol (50mg/day). For the last 2 days, I've been at about 90-110 bpm. Was just wondering if anyone else had experienced this and what their experience was like.

I vaguely remember a few posts regarding post op patients that had fluctuating heart rates for a few months, which eventually figured themselves out.

A Beta Blocker can be prescribed for several reasons, to control the heart rate if it is fast, or to control Blood pressure (if it is high) or to prevent the onset of afib etc.

A fast heart rate can be due to a disorder of rate of the heart or a disorder of electrical conduction in the heart. The treatment can depend on what the rhythm is eg Afib, or a sinus tachcardia, sinus bradycardia, heart block etc or even ventricular tachycardia or an Supra Ventricular Tachycardia or WPW conduction, etc etc. It is important for the cardiologist or yur doctor to observe your ECG, and in light of your history and ECG and other medications etc, they will them prescribe your antiarrhythmia medication or Blood pressure medication (or both)....it can be very tricky to get it right. You r dose of Beta Blocker is at the "low End" of what might be typcail for some people, so there may be some opportunity for your doctor to carefully increase your dose to slow the heart, BUT...this must only be done by your doctor while he monitors other vital signs such as blood pressure etc. Remember your heart has been "manhandled", it may have a new valve and it is still getting used to that being in place, and it was stopped while you were on bypass, and so it can take time for pressure and nervous control of the heart to "reset"...and some folk can have "paroxysmal" tachycardias (sudden onset fast heart rates and suddenly normalising heart rates) or they can permanently have a dysrhythmia, such as aFib....so, its hard to say exactly what is happening for you, and it depends on what your Blood Pressure is doing while your heart is beating fast as to how that should be treated and what medication should be used to achive that. If your heart rate is fast, and yuor BP is ok or high, then a Beta Blocker may be ok to slow the heart rate (as it may also normalise or lower the BP as well)....but your BP can go too low or you can have other side effects, such as a wheeze and shortness of breath, so Beta Blocker should ideally be "dosed" correctly why you are in hospital, increasing the dose until the heart rate is ok without dropping your BP too low....and so on....one clue as to what your heart rhythm might be, is to feel your pulse and if your pulse is "irregular" (ie nopt beating regularly like a clock) it is likely (but not always) that it is atrial fibrillation with a fast ventricular response. Remember that Afib is the most common arrhythmia, and many, many people, particularly those who are elderly, can have afib chronically and live quite happily with it...albiet with an increased risk of a blood clot forming in the fibrillating (quivvering) atrias, and thus a risk of a stroke if that blood clot travels to teh brain, hence the often need some form of appropriate anticoagulation, eg warfarin.

I have always had a perfectly normal BP and Heart rate, yet my surgeon wants to ensure that my heart doesn't go fast at any stage and he wants my BP at the "low end" of normal (Systolic between say 100-120)...so I take 40mg sotolol daily (in the morning on an empty stomach) so that my heart rate stays ok during the day when I am active, and I also take an ACE inhibitor to keep my Systolic Blood Pressure around 100mmHg, which helps keep the load off my heart while the valve and aorta heals....and this is planned for the first three months after surgery only, and if all is ok, and if I don't develop Afib, and my BP stays ok and if my heart rate is ok, we plan to slowly cease the Beta blocker and the ace inhibitor (and also the warfarin) at about the three month mark post surgery...I have never even taken a head ache tablet before my surgery so I am looking forward to getting off as many tablets as soon possible, but in the mean time I have set my phone alarm to ensure that I take my tablets at the same time each day and never, ever miss a dose or change a dose without speaking to my cardiologist or surgeon.

In summary, then, everyone usually has a period of altered heart rate after surgery, some people need a pacemanker as their heart rate goes too slow, and some need heart rate control, it depends on what your ECG rhythm is and what your BP is and what your surgeon/cardiologist want your rate and BP to be as to what your specific management should be...keep having regular checkups to monitor all these vital signs...your heart rate sounds like it isa little fast and its worth talking to your doctor or surgeon about that....and also remeber, if you have no lightheadedness, no chest pain or shortness of breath, etc, then it might just be all ok for you...and maybe you need some time for everything to heal and settle down....best wishes :)

Latest posts

Back