Ran 3km race today!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
10 minutes for 2K sounds good to me - well done!!!!! The good thing is you will gradually improve as time goes on. I started doing 5K timed runs (races) in a park in Manchester UK to check my progress. Each time I did a race I improved a little more. For me this was the most enjoyable and rewarding part of my recovery. I have now progressed to doing long mountain races in the Lake District - this was something last year I thought I would never do again.

Enjoy your running!!!
Martin

Hi RunMartin
Great to hear that you are enjoying your runs in the Lake District, a beautiful part of the country. I used to know a chap called Ian Watson who lived in MACCLESFIELD. (on a farm) In 1960, he was leading the '3 peaks' race by 4mins, and unfortunately fell into a 'bog', and with the extra weight... still came third! (memories!)
Must admit I don't like this short distance; it is too mentally tough when one hasn't done the speed work.
Have done 4x45km runs over the mountains during the last 7years, but I think these distances are beyond me now!
Keep up your good work.
See Ya
Brian

I wanted to post up and say 10 minute 2K is awesome. I did 9:30-10 minute/mile (or 1.6k) when I used to run, so this is pretty darn good. Keep on setting records my friend.

Sorry if this sounds so tedious, but I ran another 3km x-country race today,(5/20/12) and improved my time to 14min 40secs!
It was a handicap race, and since I am leading the points score, I gave it my all...I found it very hard to lift my legs at the end, as they were so lactic.
The trouble doing a reasonable decent time, is that ones handicap is chopped, and one needs to keep running faster to get any points. I think there are only 3 races left...thank God; I might just hang on for the trophy.
I think that my 'new' valve must have settled in nicely,for with that extremely hard run today, some weakness would have
shown!
Hope everyone is well into recovery.
See Ya
Brian

Sorry if this sounds so tedious, but I ran another 3km x-country race today,(5/20/12) and improved my time to 14min 40secs!
It was a handicap race, and since I am leading the points score, I gave it my all...I found it very hard to lift my legs at the end, as they were so lactic.
The trouble doing a reasonable decent time, is that ones handicap is chopped, and one needs to keep running faster to get any points. I think there are only 3 races left...thank God; I might just hang on for the trophy.
I think that my 'new' valve must have settled in nicely,for with that extremely hard run today, some weakness would have
shown!
Hope everyone is well into recovery.
See Ya
Brian

Nope, not at all "tedious" --- still like hearing about your successes!!!

Keep it up!!!

Rachel

Great to here that your running is going so well! Very encouraging to those of us who are waiting patiently to be in the running mode again, Thanks for sharing you race reports!

Great to here that your running is going so well! Very encouraging to those of us who are waiting patiently to be in the running mode again!!!!
( I am walking with Leki sticks till all systems go to start running again!) Thanks for sharing you race reports!

Hi coffeelover
Thanks for kind comments. I see you had your valve op this year, when exactly?
Have you had much running experience before, if so, what is your plan for the future.
As you say, it is nice to know that you can return to doing the 'energetic' things
one used to do. I must admit, I was in deep despair for the first few months, as I began
to think that I would never run again. It was only when I flung those stupid ideas away, that I
was able to start running in tune with 'nature'. I have now 'crossed' that line into a self-will mode, which
I am trying to control.
See Ya
Brian

Hi coffeelover
As you say, it is nice to know that you can return to doing the 'energetic' things
one used to do. I must admit, I was in deep despair for the first few months, as I began
to think that I would never run again. It was only when I flung those stupid ideas away, that I
was able to start running in tune with 'nature'. I have now 'crossed' that line into a self-will mode, which
I am trying to control.

I also like hearing things like this. It is important to get across that it can take a little longer for some people to improve. I know I thought I would be super quick immediately I got my old valve replaced with a new "none stenoic" one. Sometimes it just takes a little patience and perseverance.:)

Haggis basher,
Valve surgery beginning of March. Feeling great.
I have been running for over 15 years--mostly long distance. Looking forward to running this fall!

Back