Ran 3km race today!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

haggis basher

I am Scottish, but living in Sydney Australia
Hi All.
I am nearly 8 months after AVR. I ran my club 3km x-country today! :cool: A few months ago, I would have thought it impossible, yet lo and behold I managed it in 18mins 25secs. (72 age) It was a flat course, but 25degrees temp! I hope that this will give other people hope that life is not finished after heart surgery etc, but a second 'chance' to enjoy what nature has to offer.
See Ya All
Brian

Brian,
Good job! I ran my first 5k about 7 months after surgery and my goal was to finish without stopping. I came in last but I didn't stop and I was a happy camper.
Keep up the good work.
Best,
John

DAMN SWEET!!!!! Under 10 minute mile too. I am super impressed with your running. You, sir, are an inspiration.
Was it 25 C or F, because 25 C is very nice and pleasant, 25 F, is just way too damn cold ;)

If it's in Oz, it's 25C, which would be pretty nice for a short race. I like doing 1-2 miles on the track each summer and 25C would be about the coolest we ever see there. I don't believe I've ever done a 3K race. Except for high school girls it's a rare event around here.

Thanks everyone for your comments, especially the people who are only just recovering themselves!
I read in another forum about someone being afraid to go too quickly. I must admit I feel that way most of the time!
I could have ran much faster in that 3km, but since I have had problems with 'arrythmia' heart-beat, I just ran in tune with body/nature. It was a beautiful sunny day -too good for any punishment.

TheGymGuy - Very impressed by your positive attitude, and your kindness towards others.
See Ya All
Brian

Just ran another 3km x-country yesterday, (saturday14th April) (same course). Got a bit carried away by my past running experiences,and dropped my time to 16mins 21secs! It was an extremly hot day - 25degrees again with no wind.
I finished lathered in sweat, and very annoyed with myself. I swore that I would stop this competitive business, but it is
so hard to lose it. (72age)
Awoke today with pain in hip and groin!
Don't get me wrong, I am very grateful for my recovery, but sometimes disappointed with my behaviour.
See Ya All
Brian

Well, wake up with running injuries? You're back!!

Hi Tom.
Yes, I am back...but back to where?
I see that you had a 29mm model valve, isn't it strange mine was much smaller...23mm!
I would have thought that having done hundreds of races all over the world, mine would have been
large too! (only jealous..ha ha)
Two days after run, still in pain, might try walk/jog this afternoon.
Take Care
Brian

Brian, you sir are a badass. A very nice pace something like 8:30 min mile. Either you are very tall with a great long stride or very very athletic, and let's not forget about your age.
Great job, and please keep on updating us. If you happen to do a 5k, I'd love to know your times.

Hi All.
Ran another 3km x-country race yesterday (5th May) (same course as last time), and improved my time to 15 min .. 37 sec! It is now nearly 9 months after AVR. Was able to back up with a 6km jog (non stop)today with friends.
Still having a wee battle with depression, but not as severe!
I used to be too frightened to run fastish, thinking that I might do my 'heart' damage, but as soon as I stopped thinking that way...my running improved.
Hope to participate in some 'Masters' championship races later in the year.
Started an 8weeks singing course last week, about time someone else from Scotland gave Susan Boyle some
competition! (humph!!)
See Ya
Brian

GREAT RUNS Brian!!!

Thanks for posting this, I love hearing your success stories, so inspirational!

Keep it up, so very exciting!

Rachel

Thanks everyone for your kind comments.You will now be in the 'spring' in the Northern Hemisphere; we are fast approaching our winter! Strangely, I ran an 8km training run around the beaches here a few hours ago, and it was still very hot, (23degrees) but it gets very cold when the sun goes down.
There are not many AVR runners here in Sydney; you seem to have an abundance of them in the USA!
Take Care
Brian

Ran another 2km x-country with my running club last saturday, came home in a 'blistering' 10mins 06 secs!
Not world class, but pleasing.
On the 12th August, is my 1year anniversary! On the same day is our most famous 'City to Surf' run. They are expecting
80,000 runners this year!! (14km with one extremely long uphill). We run from the City to Bondi Beach.
I will have to fall back on this 'speedy' running, and get some miles in the old legs.
Keep well everyone
Brian

10 minutes for 2K sounds good to me - well done!!!!! The good thing is you will gradually improve as time goes on. I started doing 5K timed runs (races) in a park in Manchester UK to check my progress. Each time I did a race I improved a little more. For me this was the most enjoyable and rewarding part of my recovery. I have now progressed to doing long mountain races in the Lake District - this was something last year I thought I would never do again.

Enjoy your running!!!
Martin

Latest posts

Back