Radical Sternectomy

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg a

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Has anyone here had a Radical (was called full) Sternectomy Post Op as a result of an infection in the chest cavity?
I feel as if I have a six inch square metal breastplate on as to fill the void a prctoral flap was used leaving me with no upper body strength.
I would be interested in knowing how this has affected your day to day life.
Can you fly due to air pressure and if so do you experience much pain in take off or landing?
Can you even drive due to air bags? Or can we get thrm disabled?
What about CPR? Have you considered a "no compressions" tattoo?

Thanks in advance

The only person I'm aware of on here that has had something similar is Lynlw's son. Hopefully, she will come along soon.

ABOUT ME

May 8, 2007 enter hospital short of breath and have an angiogram that shows numerous blockages

May 11 open heart surgery lasting 7 hours and comprising of five bypasses and one valve ring support

May 11 -25 Life support as the Dr's cant awake me and they tell my family that they don't know if i'll ever come out of it

May 26 fourteen days after surgery I wake up

Still unaware of my situation i am weaned from all of my IV's

I am moved to a recovery floor where a groin infection plagues me

I am then moved to a rehab floor where upon complaining about a sore lower back a surgeon removes a cyst

June 13 my original surgeon looks at my incision and he sticks a finger in it up to his knuckle and then informs me that he is going to have to tiighten a wire holding part of my breast bone in place and so..............

June 16 i am back in surgery to tighten the wires holding my sternum and ribs in tact

I was home in July but dropped in our drive in August

Gee since then i was back in hospital with a massive infection and that resulted in them removing my sternum/breastbone in August again i was out of it (coma) for 14 days and the family was all gathered but i pulled through and was finally out of hospital mid october

I am still off work (don't know if I even have a job) but it is GREAT to be alive

I have a Medtronics ICD implanted in July 2008 and a patient in the RAFT study by the Ottawa Heart Institute but implanted at London Health Sciences and Monotored by St Marys here in Kitchener

I was "paced" on August 17,2008 but was not aware until Sept when I attended at the Implant Clinic for my second monitor reading then on Nov 23 it once again tried to pace me but failed so the defibultor kicked in and brought me back... It was 10:30 am and I was sitting injecting insulin and wondered why it was taking me longer than usual and only found out in Jan when I was on for the RAFT study monitoring

Then Feb 18,2010@2:30pm I was once again revived unbeknown to me until I was at the Heart Function clinic @ St Marys and as my Cardiologist was telling me I could not drive he said that on the bright side we knew it worked and I should stop testing it ..... sure he has never been a passenger with my wife driving ........ just kidding honey you are a much better driver now that I keep my eyes shut

My ICD has saved my in more ways as stated I have no sternum and CPR would do me in .... by the way my implant was done as an out patient booking in at 8am and leaving at 2 pm.

I have been in touch with only a couple of others whom have had a radical sternectomy and have given me hope in knowing that I am not alone. If you feel the need I can provide you with more personal contact information for us ( I say us as my wife may be better able to see it from your side) I will provide you with email info and from there we can send phone numbers...I think Sharon would be great to talk to as she was there all along doing the hard work while i slept LOL

I think you are a miracle man and testament to how much the body can recover from. You have been through so much and have the scars to remind you. But you are alive and are able to continue on with your life. Best wishes to you!

Welcome to the forum Greg! Sounds like you've been through hell. I totally feel for you and am wondering what went wrong to cause those infections and complications? I have a prothesis mismatch, and will eventually need to re-do the surgery, but this seems nothing compared to what you have gone through. My heart goes out to you. Your positive attitude is the best medicine, as IT IS GOOD TO BE ALIVE!

Ohmigosh, I am so sorry to read this. Just wondering, when you said "June 13 my original surgeon looks at my incision and he sticks a finger in it up to his knuckle and then informs me that he is going to have to tiighten a wire holding part of my breast bone in place" - did the Doctor follow proper disinfecton protocol, wear a new glove etc? If not, you have a medical negligence case, as if there was not adequate protection from contaminating area in the probing, that may be where the infection came from. That is small comfort for the horrible experiences you've had, but at least you are still here to tell us about it and that is a miracle!

Greg, I thought I went through alot the last 6 months but had an easier time than you have had. I'm hoping things go well for you from here on out and welcome to VR.com

Ohmigosh, I am so sorry to read this. Just wondering, when you said "June 13 my original surgeon looks at my incision and he sticks a finger in it up to his knuckle and then informs me that he is going to have to tiighten a wire holding part of my breast bone in place" - did the Doctor follow proper disinfecton protocol, wear a new glove etc? If not, you have a medical negligence case, as if there was not adequate protection from contaminating area in the probing, that may be where the infection came from. That is small comfort for the horrible experiences you've had, but at least you are still here to tell us about it and that is a miracle!
Indeed all proper protocals were followed and in fact exceeded as I was in isolation and having dressings on my chest and the base of my spine it made me feel like a chicken on a rotating spit six times per 24 hrs

I can never fault the care I recieved and the ongoing care I get.

Thank you all for the kind and considerate comments

Anyone here had a Radical (was called full) Sternectomy Post Op as a result of an infection in the chest cavity?
I feel as if I have a six inch square metal breastplate on as to fill the void a prctoral flap was used leaving me with no upper body strength.
I would be interested in knowing how this has affected your day to day life.
Can you fly due to air pressure and if so do you experience much pain in take off or landing?
Can you even drive due to air bags? Or can we get thrm disabled?
What about CPR? Have you considered a "no compressions" tattoo?

Thanks in advance

Hello, sorry to hear you had such a tough time. My son Justin had an infection in his sternum and under it aftr his 5th OHS when he was 19, but they didn't remove his whole sternum, "just" cut out all the bad sections, the bottom of his sternum to quote the surgeon was "mush" Then he had a right pectorial flap to fill in all the spaces. I'm a little confused when you say you feel like you have a 6 inch metal plate, do you actually have one or it just feels like it, because of th muscle flap? They didn't use any plates or extra hardware when they put Justin's sternum back together. I just realized his was around the same time as yours June 07
Did they do cultures in June and the docs finger went thru your sternum? It sounds to me like that was already infected, because when we took justin back to the hospital 10 days after his surgery, for a spot where he was having a disolving stitch come thru, when they pulled the stitch, something didn't feel "right" so they stuck a probe in and it went right thru his sternum, so they admitted him, did all kinds of tests, Xray, echo were fine but the CT scan showed an infection under his sternum so he had ER surgery they next morning.

He had alot of problems with loss of strength on his right side, because of the muscle moving, but has got most of it back, it took alot of work, (He couldn't even use his fingers to play playstation in the beginning, which made for long days) they used his right side because he is a lefty.
He really doesn't have any restrictions because of it. He drives, but if air bags were a concern, I'm pretty sure they would tell you not to drive or even ride in the front passenger seat. The ONLY thing we really asked about since it is a big concern for Justin since he will need onoing surgeries, was if having this done, would keep him from having more heart surgeries in the future and they said he could still have them.
Otherwise he was just told do everything he could do before. He works part time as a stage hand and started back to work a couple months after surgery after his weeks of antibiotics and he had enough strength to lift things, I don't remember how long he was out, but it was a couple months

The scary part for me, is since he still has some of his sternum, it is RARE but parts of the infection can lay low in bones and pop up later, USUALLY if you make it a year you are safe, but Justin had a small infection pop up last winter in the top of the sternum (the 1 part that was good in 07) he came VERY close to having surgery (was admiitted and in preop for a couple hours) but at the last min since the antibiotics cleared it up, and his chest has been open 7 times and other problems he has that makes him high risk, they decided to not operate and give him 1 more chance to see if the infection is completely gone before they operate. That was in jan and so far so good. Oh he had a spot that looked like a small pimple, then blister whch is why we took him in to get checked.

I think you would have to ask your surgeon what you can do safely or should avoid, since so much of this is different for each person.

Last edited:
Hello Greg,

All I can say is. someone was definitely watching over you!! God bless you and welcome to the forum.

I agree with Kathy, you had multiple opportunities to pass from bodily existence to spirit only, yet by some miracle you are here! That is awesome. I am so glad that the infection was not caused by the surgeon poking around.

Hello, sorry to hear you had such a tough time. My son Justin had an infection in his sternum and under it aftr his 5th OHS when he was 19, but they didn't remove his whole sternum, "just" cut out all the bad sections, the bottom of his sternum to quote the surgeon was "mush" Then he had a right pectorial flap to fill in all the spaces. I'm a little confused when you say you feel like you have a 6 inch metal plate, do you actually have one or it just feels like it, because of th muscle flap? They didn't use any plates or extra hardware when they put Justin's sternum back together. I just realized his was around the same time as yours June 07
Did they do cultures in June and the docs finger went thru your sternum? It sounds to me like that was already infected, because when we took justin back to the hospital 10 days after his surgery, for a spot where he was having a disolving stitch come thru, when they pulled the stitch, something didn't feel "right" so they stuck a probe in and it went right thru his sternum, so they admitted him, did all kinds of tests, Xray, echo were fine but the CT scan showed an infection under his sternum so he had ER surgery they next morning.

He had alot of problems with loss of strength on his right side, because of the muscle moving, but has got most of it back, it took alot of work, (He couldn't even use his fingers to play playstation in the beginning, which made for long days) they used his right side because he is a lefty.
He really doesn't have any restrictions because of it. He drives, but if air bags were a concern, I'm pretty sure they would tell you not to drive or even ride in the front passenger seat. The ONLY thing we really asked about since it is a big concern for Justin since he will need onoing surgeries, was if having this done, would keep him from having more heart surgeries in the future and they said he could still have them.
Otherwise he was just told do everything he could do before. He works part time as a stage hand and started back to work a couple months after surgery after his weeks of antibiotics and he had enough strength to lift things, I don't remember how long he was out, but it was a couple months

The scary part for me, is since he still has some of his sternum, it is RARE but parts of the infection can lay low in bones and pop up later, USUALLY if you make it a year you are safe, but Justin had a small infection pop up last winter in the top of the sternum (the 1 part that was good in 07) he came VERY close to having surgery (was admiitted and in preop for a couple hours) but at the last min since the antibiotics cleared it up, and his chest has been open 7 times and other problems he has that makes him high risk, they decided to not operate and give him 1 more chance to see if the infection is completely gone before they operate. That was in jan and so far so good. Oh he had a spot that looked like a small pimple, then blister whch is why we took him in to get checked.

I think you would have to ask your surgeon what you can do safely or should avoid, since so much of this is different for each person.
That is great that he has not required a Radical sternectomy
IF HE HAS TIME and the inclination to visit a web site that has just begun .... http://sternectomysupport.webs.com/
...telling his story and esp the fact he is so active will give others hope
I KNOW THAT telling my story has helped a few including the founder of That board's father and a gent from Florida that I spoke to on the phone...believe it or not his biggest fear was that he could not ride his mortorcycle and as it happened before speaking to him I had spoken to a gent who would not give up his Harley and so wore a Kevlar vest when he rode ...I have only found about 10 others with a radical but Justin can contribute and I would encouage him to do so ................gee how is THAT for a run-on sentence LOL ;-)

Hello Greg,

All I can say is. someone was definitely watching over you!! God bless you and welcome to the forum.

I agree with Kathy, you had multiple opportunities to pass from bodily existence to spirit only, yet by some miracle you are here! That is awesome. I am so glad that the infection was not caused by the surgeon poking around.

In fact I have "seen the light" when I was in the coma a couple of times ...a true warm loving experience and the miracle was the skill that God blessed my health care workers with

That is great that he has not required a Radical sternectomy
IF HE HAS TIME and the inclination to visit a web site that has just begun .... http://sternectomysupport.webs.com/
...telling his story and esp the fact he is so active will give others hope
I KNOW THAT telling my story has helped a few including the founder of That board's father and a gent from Florida that I spoke to on the phone...believe it or not his biggest fear was that he could not ride his mortorcycle and as it happened before speaking to him I had spoken to a gent who would not give up his Harley and so wore a Kevlar vest when he rode ...I have only found about 10 others with a radical but Justin can contribute and I would encouage him to do so ................gee how is THAT for a run-on sentence LOL ;-)

Thanks for the info on the site, I'll let Justin know, but chances are he won't post anything. He's been dealing with his heart problems his whole life (his 1st surgerywas when he was 10 days old and 2nd 18months. and as of now, he tries to ignore it as much as possible in between appts or hospital stays. I've suggested he join a few groups since he has dealt with so much, all the surgeries including complications that went on for months, BE, a pacemaker, a pacemaker malfunctioning ect and does so well considerring., I thought it would help both him and others, but he isn't ready. Maybe when he is a little older, he'll be intersted. I do get notes from other parents who stumbled upon his caringbridge page who told me his story gave them hope for their little ones.
I'm glad you are able to find others, I know how much harder things are when you feel alone. I know from Justin's plastic surgeon that it it more common in people that are usually older than Justin. We don't see him often (thank God) but if I do I will pass on the site to him since he does most of the muscle flap surgeries so maybe it would help some of his other patients.

Thanks Lyn it would be great if he (the surgeon) had time to peek in and check info being posted......it seems that depression is quite normal post sternectomy....hmm guess I'm not normal as my wife has said for YEARS ....damn I hate it when she is right !
I was speaking to a lady in British Columbia,Canada who is two years post op and VERY depressed but as we spoke I could sense her spirits lift as we talked of family and our past lives and hopes for the future....my sternectomy is covered by two pectoral muscle flaps and some abdominal as well (I picture a pita pocket look) and it seems that I have more upper body strength than she does with a simple pectoral flap fold

Thanks again Lyn and all of you for the kind words

Wow Greg!!!! You have gone thru a lot!!! But you have quite a sense of humor, you had me smiling reading all your events! What a trooper! I'm happy to hear stories like yours because just when you think its over for you, its nice to reflect on the victories that someone else has had and it makes you a believer that all things are possible. Thanks for sharing! God bless!

Latest posts

Back