Questions

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiger

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the pressure gradient number means and if this is one of the main factors in determining how severe the stenosis is? My echo in October showed a 36 mm mean gradient and my echo in December showed a 40 mm mean pressure gradient. I also had a 70% refraction? Sorry this stuff is all new to me.
Also was wondering if any of you have changed your diet and if this has any impact on this type of heart condition and basically if it is known why the valve gets worse? From what I understand it just does on its own as you get older. I'm just wondering why mine has gotten so bad at such a young age.. I wonder if its from eating unhealthy and drinking too much in the past few years.. Or from being under a lot of stress.?
I just want to keep myself educated on all this and haven't found too much info. Online about it.
Thank you!

Hi Tiger. I would guess that "refraction" is "ejection fraction," and, if so, 70% is very good, since the scale doesn't go to 100. Talk to your card about the gradient numbers, or wait for someone more knowledgeable to come along.
I did a lot of pondering and studying my health issues after my surgery (I didn't have time to before). While improving your lifestyle is an excellent goal, I discovered that there is almost nothing you can do to damage your heart valves. Eat healthy, drink moderately, control your stress, all good things to do, but follow what your card says. Echos only two months apart means that you should be seeing the card often, so ask those questions.

Yes ejection fraction is what I meant :) yeah I have actually only met with my card once throughout all of this... Just anxiously waiting for my next appointment which is in February.

Tiger - I'm pressed for time this morning, so I will let the others discuss pressure gradient numbers. Basically the gradient shows how much resistance your stenotic valve causes to the blood flow out of your heart. There are limits to what the docs think is OK before they recommend surgery.

As for the question of whether you can do anything to slow the progression of your condition, there really is nothing we can do to slow the progress. Various studies have been done using medications thought to slow it down, but there is no conclusive evidence that there is anything we can do to slow it down. Just live as healthy as you can so you will be in good shape when you have surgery - it will make recovery easier.

Latest posts

Back