Questions to ask a cardiac surgeon

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paleowoman

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Hi,

My cardiologist is suddenly referring me to a cardiac surgeon to discuss aortic valve replacement options/timing etc even though I have no symptoms and my pressure gradient is about 60 mm/Hg. I know I can see more than one surgeon before I decide which one to do the work, that there is no hurry, that is one reason my cardiologist gave for referring me now.

I'm wondering what are the most important questions to ask a cardiac surgeon which would help me decide whether he or she is the one for me ?

Ask about how many years they've been performing aortic valve replacement surgeries, how many they do in a week, and their success rate. Also ask them "if your daughter needed this surgery and you were ethically prevented from doing it yourself, which cardiac surgeon would you have her go to?"

Thanks Guyswell.

I've been able to find out how many valve replacements the surgeons do at the hospital where I would have the op done - I can see which one has done the most aortic valve ops as cardiac surgeons in the UK have to publish that data plus their mortality rates on this website: http://www.scts.org/patients/default.aspx I'm lucky there. I can see too the mortality rates, but not for each specific procedure, so I will definitely ask the surgeons I see what their mortality rate for aortic valve surgery is.

Are there any specific questions about the actual operation I should ask the surgeon which would help me decide ?

It's relatively easy to find a decent cardio surgeon, but you want one that's done a lot of valves. IMHO, many of them do a lot more bypasses than valve replacements.

I'd ask who assists in the surgery and who actually does the surgery. Is it a resident? The team is maybe as important as the surgeon.

I'd look at the stats on the facility, infection control etc.

I'd really see if you can get the information that you want from him/her, ie - can you "connect". Many of the surgeons do not have much bedside manner (being "mechanics"). I wasn't that pleased with my surgeon in the regard.

Those are important issues yes !

I have spoken to the hospital where I would have the surgery and they say we can make an appointment to be shown around by one of the nursing staff any time, so we'll do that too.

It's relatively easy to find a decent cardio surgeon, but you want one that's done a lot of valves. IMHO, many of them do a lot more bypasses than valve replacements.

I'd ask who assists in the surgery and who actually does the surgery. Is it a resident? The team is maybe as important as the surgeon.

I'd look at the stats on the facility, infection control etc.

I'd really see if you can get the information that you want from him/her, ie - can you "connect". Many of the surgeons do not have much bedside manner (being "mechanics"). I wasn't that pleased with my surgeon in the regard.

I would ask

1- his opinion about the urgency of the surgery? if you can, ask more than one surgeon the same question.

2- what valve replacement surgeries he performs more? VR with mechanical valves or with tissue valves?

3- What kind of valves he recommends for you, and

4- what's his reasoning? From his answers you maybe able to tell if he's up todate with technology!

5- does your condition require OHS or minimally invasive procedure?

6- if OHS, DEFINITELY ask him who will assist him? And if you're satisfied with his answer, you need to ask him if that will change under any circumstance on the day of the surgery.

Once you decided to go through surgery, in my opinion, don't pick Mondays or Fridays nor any date before or after a holiday.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Wow, thanks ! I am getting all my questions ready for when I see the surgeon/s. The hospital said I should see more than one if I can so it's really good that I'm being encouraged to do so.

I was feeling so down the past two days, hardly slept, as I wasn't expecting this referral yet as I really feel fine (apart from weight loss and bad urinary frequency which must be related to one of my other conditions), and the cardiologist said my heart function is good so it was a bombshell when he subseqently said he was referring me to a surgeon. I was expecting at least a couple more years.

Thankgoodness for this forum !

First thing I asked was if I could have VR without a sternotomy and surgeon said possibly with a mini thoracotomy, about a 3 inch incision between 2 ribs on the right side of my chest about 5-6 inches down from collar bone. I was glad not to have had my sternum broken.

Back