questions for doctor

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ambriz

Hi, I'm looking at the sticky of questions to ask the doctor and plan to use many of them. I'm wondering if there is a list of questions specifically about the heart that I can look at and pick from? Like asking about the valve opening and all of that?

Sorry the question does not make much sense. I feel like i need to get a medical degree just to research this...

That would help some of us a lot--a starter list! There is so much to think about! :confused:
I'm hoping people will also offer what they are glad they asked, and what they wish they'd asked in retrospect.
C

Hi, I'm looking at the sticky of questions to ask the doctor and plan to use many of them. I'm wondering if there is a list of questions specifically about the heart that I can look at and pick from? Like asking about the valve opening and all of that?

Sorry the question does not make much sense. I feel like i need to get a medical degree just to research this...

Are you asking about questions for the Cardiologist or the Surgeons?

For the cardiologist. She had him do a stress test and was saying he would need the operation in a year. I don't understand the point of waiting for a year to do this if he needs it done no matter what...
I want to get a list of numbers like I've seen with a lot of people here, something i can post here and get some help understanding it. Just having a hard time figuring out how to phrase the questions and what I need to ask.

To better answer your question(s), it would help for us to know more about your / his? (husband, son, father? age?) situation such as

What tests have been performed ? (has he had an echocardiogram? Heart Catheterization?)

Do you have copies of the Test Report(s)?
If not, it would be wise to go to the facility where the tests were perfromed and requset copies.
You may have to pay a copying charge.
(Only get the pages you actually need...they should allow you to preview them first)

What Valve(s) are in need of replacement?

A common guideline for Aortic Valve Replacement is an effective area of 0.8 sq cm or less.

There are other criteria such as insufficiency (a.k.a. regurgitation) where blood is forced back into one of the heart chambers (depending on which valve is 'weak') during it's pumping phase.

Since 'the patient' has a history of BiCuspid Aortic Valve, you may want to also browse through the Bicuspid Aortic Valve and Connective Tissue Disorder Forum for LOTS of background on those often related conditions.

'AL Capshaw'

He had the echocardiogram and a stress test.
We were not given copies of the tests. They said the echocardiogram and a stress test that showed no abnormality. I'm going to have him ask the doctor for copies of the tests tomorrow.

He had the echocardiogram and a stress test.
We were not given copies of the tests. They said the echocardiogram and a stress test that showed no abnormality. I'm going to have him ask the doctor for copies of the tests tomorrow.

I'm a little confused about why they would talk about surgery if the tests showed nothing abnormal.

Its a little hard to offer questions since you won't be there and many of the questions would be follow up depending on the answers you first got.

but the basic's as Als said would be what are the measurements of the valve, Aorta ect

I think I would ask WHAT measurements are of a concern to her. I would ask What the normal was and what his measurements are and what numbers would be the trigger for surgery. I also would ask IF she thinks he should wait for surgery, what are the benefits or waiting and is there any symptons that could change that she wants to be called if they happen.

I'm a little confused about why they would talk about surgery if the tests showed nothing abnormal.

That's what I don't understand. She said he would probably need surgery in a years time, which to me sounds serious. Needing surgery in a year means you are in bad shape right? But they don't talk as if he is.. so I don't understand. Hopefully when he gets back from the appt I'll have numbers and stats to post.

Latest posts

Back