Questions About Home Testing

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Tom Harrison

This is new to me. What are the differences between them in how they work and cost??

Differences

Differences

Dear Tom,

Please call the above numbers to receive information on the products. We have different departments at QAS to handle each product separately. This has always been a QAS ProTime sponsored site, and we wish to continue with this monitor. The ProTime division monitors this page, so please call the above numbers for further details. Thanks,

Lance

Time to get approval/ Cost of use.

Time to get approval/ Cost of use.

I have two questions regarding the home testing

How long does it usually take to get insurance approval for coverage?

Generally what is the yearly cost of home testing after you have the machine?

Lettitia

ProTime monitor

ProTime monitor

Lettitia,

It really depends on your insurance company as to how long it will take to get it approved - it could take 2 weeks or it could take a few months.

As far as cost of testing, it depends how often you are testing. Your testing supplies are one-time use only. Usually if your insurance covers the monitor they will cover supplies.

Lettitia:
Insurance didn't cover Albert's machine, so we paid for the machine and for supplies. I've been told that the machine now costs $2,000. It was about $1,200 - $1,500 when Al got his. The supplies have gone up to $300. for 25 tests. Let's hope your insurance will cover the machine. Going it alone is an expensive proposition, but it is well worth it.
Blanche

"I've been told that the machine now costs $2,000. It was about $1,200 - $1,500 when Al got his. The supplies have gone up to $300. for 25 tests. Let's hope your insurance will cover the machine. Going it alone is an expensive proposition, but it is well worth it. "

Hmmm.....Sounds like a case of 'charge what the market will bear'... Let's see, Coaguchek discovers that the Protime Units are selling for $2000 and the test strips are going for $12 each and suddenly Coaguchek is charging the same. Interesting.
Does this constitute price fixing, or is it just an example of a free market finding it's level?

'AL'

Just like everything else in the world - the ProTime prices have gone up.

The retail prices that we offer for our monitor and supplies are prices that are set from the manufacturer. We are the distributor not the manufacturer.

A lot of time and money goes into getting the monitor approved for insurance sometimes it can be a lengthy process with us having to go to appeals for our patients. However, we have a very good success rate at getting approvals.

If you wanted to purchase the ProTime on your own you will see on our website that we offer a 25% discount. If anyone needs further information, please contact me at 1-800-298-4515, x 2616.

Costs

Costs

You can also pick up a box of 25 cuvettes for $135.00 at various medical supply houses on the net or locally. They are shipped overnight with ice packs.

If I get them locally, my insurance covers 90%. With QAS they only cover 70%.

Cheers!

Hi,

Can you share with us a net address that the cuvettes can be purchased ? Thanks!:)

Thanks for the information! We've been looking for companies that have been doing this illegally according to FDA and the manufacturer guidelines. That price you were quoted is for professionals (physicians) who buy in volume -- not for patient use.

To purchase cuvettes legally you would have to buy from a company that is licensed to sell to patients. You also have to get a new prescription from your doctor for supplies to send to them so they can keep in their files in case they were ever audited.

If you ever have a technical support issue with your cuvettes and we would have to provide information about the lot number of your cuvettes to the manufacturer the company that sold the supplies to you could potentially be in trouble.

$300.00 - $135.00 = $165.00 Come on!!! If ITC is making money by selling to Doctors for $135.00, then I am sure YOUR price is even lower (and we wonder why insurance is so expensive)!!!

I did not know it would be illegal, but, I am sure it is just as illegal for people to go to Canada and Mexico for medications. You don't see that stopping now, do you?

You may want to start checking all the medical supply houses in the US. Since, after placing my order with Hanson, I contacted local supply houses and was told that they could also supply the cuvettes.

I did call QAS before ordering from Hanson, asking them why the great price difference. The person answering the phone (no, I did not get her name) told me she had no idea why the price was so high. She even suggested that if I could find them cheaper, to go for it.... I did!

James

Thank You James!

I find this wide difference in price quite interesting. No wonder my insurance will not pay! I plan to check other medical supply houses and see what their policy is and their view on the legality issue. I think you've provided this forum with information worth looking into.

Zipper :)

QAS vs. Other Suppliers

QAS vs. Other Suppliers

One thing that you will find with QAS is their quality and customer service is a cut above the rest.

Home INR testing is a vital part of life for those on anticoagulant therapy. Where one obtains their supplies should be more than a matter of cost. There are issues with product storage, reliability and FDA authorization and such.

It would be a decisive factor to me to know that I was choosing to buy from a company that strives to be the best in these areas.

Price isn't everything.

Thanks Hank,

You are correct in what you write. We pride ourselves in our customer service. If anybody has technical problems with their monitor or their cuvettes we have 24-hour technical support. We also do insurance billing for the patients as well.

We are a distributor and the prices for the cuvettes are set by the manufacturer - a price for patients (prescription required) and a bulk price for physicians as they buy supplies for all their patients in their office.

Of course anybody can do anything illegally if they want to.
I know for myself I wouldn't trust any medicines that I purchased in Mexico or Canada.

Our job is to give you the facts! The FDA sets guidelines which are also supported by the manufacturer. These medical supply houses that advertise these supposedly "cheap" prices are licensed to sell to physicians only - not to patients.

I would not even buy an off-brand flea liquid product from my Vet's office yesterday because they were out of Frontline.:p :p :p I would never change from buying my supplies from QAS...My insurance carrier pays 80% of my supplies. Bonnie

Thanks Bonnie,

We appreciate your support and trust in QAS and their products!!!!

Michele

Michele

Thanks to QAS for their wonderful products. Nailed a perfect 3.0 this morning. Was so excited, called my hubby to take a look:D :D My INR runs between 2.5 and 3.0.. Been going to the pool for several days and wanted to see if the sun had changed it..Must have raised it a tad. so will back away from getting that tan..:p :p :p I keep my supplies in an extra refrigerator in basement. Take one out and use it after 1 hour.thanks again...P.S. Went and got my Frontline flea product today..Always stay with what works.:) :) :) Bonnie

Protime supplies!

Protime supplies!

Of course you don't want to change Bonnie, I wouldn't either if my insurance paid 80% of my supplies. But when they don't pay a cent towards any of the cost, and you yourself have to fork over $300+ $18 S/H every time, it get's kind of expensive, don't you think?
I am trying to make them last, but at times I need to test more than once a week, so 25 tests don't last that long.
BTW, this is NOT an OFF BRAND.
It's identical to what QAS sells, except I am paying 50% less.
Call me stupid, but to me the bottom line talks.

Hi Christina,

My situation is the same as yours, which is why I found the information on saving money on supplies was worth investigating. I have not had time to do so yet and am very curious as to why it was stated to be illegal for these companies to sell to us as patients. Do you know if that is the case from your personal experiences?

Feel free to PM me if you'd rather not share here. I'd appreciate any info.

Zipper:confused:

Latest posts

Back