Questions About Complications & Setbacks

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jag004

Im sorry to be a Debbie Downer, but Im trying to get a grip on how my next 12-18 months will go after just having AVR 18 days ago. I know I should take 1 day at a time, but I cant help but wonder about the future.

1) What are some of the biggest complications or setbacks associated with AVR? And, when are those most likely to happen? I know every recovery is different, but it seems that its rare that someone goes all the way thru their recovery scott free.

2) When am I likely out of the danger zone associated with setbacks? Someone told me never.....is this true?

I only had my surgery a couple of months ago, so I'm far from an expert. The reality is we're never out of the "danger zone". There are always issues to be concerned with, whether it be increased stroke risk, ACT, or a future surgery. Not to mention endocarditis. For me that is the possible future complication that I'm most concerned with. But all of these things pale in comparison to the issues we faced before AVR.

1) ........I know every recovery is different, but it seems that its rare that someone goes all the way thru their recovery scott free.

2) When am I likely out of the danger zone associated with setbacks? Someone told me never.....is this true?

Given the number of OHS that are performed each year, over many decades, around the world, I believe the number of "hickups" are pretty rare........and given the problems that where sure to occur without corrective surgery, it was a "no brainer" for me.....and my recovery, while not "scott free", has been without serious setback......and as we golfers say, "I'm still looking DOWN at the grass". I kinda remember how you must feel, after a short time post surgery, and am comfortable in telling you that you will become much more comfortable as time goes by.

My physical setbacks included high heart rate for about 4-6 months afterwards, aches in my back, neck, ribs from time to time for about 3 months after surgery, low blood pressure from being on BB (which I was taken off of after a week), anemia for the first 4-5 months (vitamins helped), weight loss for the first 6 months (I ate like crazy - never in my life did I eat like that without gaining weight) but I think these were all a part of the normal recovery process.

I was not in any hurry to get back to normal which I think helped me cope with the setbacks. My biggest hurdle was getting back into running - I tried 6 months out of surgery. That was mentally/emotionally difficult for me because I was in shock that I even had a heart condition. It took me 10 or 11 months to be able to run a couple miles without stopping - not because I couldn't do it physically (I took a stress test 6 months after surgery using Bruce protocol - my doctor said that my heart preformed above average for my age) I was running 20 miles a week after 14 months - I look back now and think that is incredible that I'm able to do exactly what I did before my surgery.

I write this to you to let you know that at 21 months from surgery I feel very very normal.

Of course, everyone is different - but there is hope that the future may not be a dark as you think.

Rachel

What are some of the biggest complications or setbacks associated with AVR?

You don't really want a listing of horrors that you probably won't ever face. The overwhelming majority of people people have full recovery, me at 54 and my mother in law at 87 both had full recovery. Anticipate the positive. Rest easy with the knowledge that most people progress onwards to full recovery.

When am I likely out of the danger zone associated with setbacks? Someone told me never.....is this true?

You are certainly out of the danger zone, that's why you had the surgery and they let you out of the hospital. However, you will never be "healed" since you still have a replacement valve. Your replacement valve is classified as a "disease" it is just not as bad as the disease you had before operation. How this presents itself in the future depends upon what valve you chose, your body chemistry, how you life your life and "stuff happens".

Dick0236 has gone 45 years "out of the danger zone." How old will you be in 45 years? 45 years after my operation and I'll be 99 and probably dead, shot by my girlfriend's jealous husband at age 95 :)

Latest posts

Back