Question: Heart & Heat?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blessed1416

I had MVR 6 mos. ago- on vacation now in deep south- very hot and humid.
I've noticed that I can feel my heartbeat in various parts of my body- fingertips, back, ankles, even my bottom!? It's really noticeable outside, but also when I'm inside w/ the ac blasting. What's happening? Any ideas? I feel otherwise normal. Thanks.

blessed1416 said:
I had MVR 6 mos. ago- on vacation now in deep south- very hot and humid.
I've noticed that I can feel my heartbeat in various parts of my body- fingertips, back, ankles, even my bottom!? It's really noticeable outside, but also when I'm inside w/ the ac blasting. What's happening? Any ideas? I feel otherwise normal. Thanks.

I can often feel the heartbeat in my fingertips as well and sometimes in my stomach. I never felt these before my surgery. I am interested in the answer myself.

Seems to me that you might have a new sensitivity to heat or humidity. Probably just still an adjustment period for your heart. If you sense that you have any swelling, please contact your cardiologist and consider a diuretic for those warmer days. Have you any way to measure your blood pressure to be sure it hasn't elevated with the stress of the heat?

Please give your doctor a call and stay indoors for awhile during the hottest times of day.

:) Marguerite

An elevated HR and bloodflow is one way your body helps to cool itself when it's stressed by hot conditions. It can take some time to get fully acclimated. Make sure you're following all the standard advice: drink lots of water, wear a hat, don't go out during the hottest part of the day, etc.
You need to be careful in the heat. I use a heart rate monitor when I run and my HR is usually significantly higher in extremely hot conditions - if it gets too high I'll slow down or stop.
Mark

I don't think it's the heat that causes this. Anybody heard of it before?

This is strictly a guess - but I think your circulation is so much improved by your surgery that your blood vessels are getting a workout they haven't had in a long time; and in the heat it's more noticeable. If you stayed there long enough to acclimate you'd probably quit feeling the pulse.

Latest posts

Back