Question for you gym rats

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nancy

Joe recently purchased a home gym and treadmill. He's been quite ill for the better part of 2 years and his muscles have atrophied a great deal.

Prior to becoming ill, he had been in really good condition with excellent muscle tone.

He's now about 9 weeks post-op (mitral valve repair) and he's been exercising for about 2 weeks now, starting out with 10 pound weights, 20 reps each., presses, curls and flyes. He noticed this morning that his arm muscles have bulked up quite a bit. Is it possible in that short of time with that minimal amount of weight and low reps. to have this happen? Hard to believe, but it's definitely there.

I'd be interested in hearing your experiences.

He's happy!

Last edited:
Wonderous exercize

Wonderous exercize

Yes Nancy, tell Joe he probably is seeing results already. I farm, but from July til surgery I did very little. I really lost muscle mass. My chest muscles just disappeared...skin over bones. After surgery, I started doing chores about 2 weeks and then got steadily involved as time went on. I noticed my chest muscles returning and my arms firming up. Last winter at about a year post surgery, I got serious about my excercise and began free weights as well as aerobic. I noticed firming and muscling at about 2 to 3 weeks also. Tell Joe he better watch it or he'll be so buff!

Dear Nancy,
I'm glad that Joe is getting in shape... only 9 wks. post-op? WOW!

I can't comment on the exercise thing as my only exercise seems to be going to the doctors these days. lol :rolleyes:

Take care,
Zazzy

Hye Nancy, that's great. I have been going to the gym since my srgery. I do walking on the tread mill and some light weights. I am so excited to actually be able to exercise and not have to worry about my heart (that much). It is quite an new thing.

growing up, I was restricted from sports, so I ust kind of did my own thing....cycling, swimming etc, but not really hard or seriously. That might change now!

Workouts

Workouts

I am having an aortic root (dacron) reconstruction-my valve is fine-I have been an avid runner weightlifter-football player all my life-diet is so important-I swear by those juicers-there are several brands that just extract the juice liquid only--I saw one on TV being demoed by the "juiceman" any brand will do--the juice recipes will help you heal and make you stronger etc. My surgery is scheduled for Jan. 8th -University of Mich-Dr. Deeb....size and strength don't always have a real close correlation some people don't get real big but they get real strong-the key is gaining strength and endurance the rest fall in place-he sounds like a real fighter and that is half the battle--God Bless!!!!

hi nancy!
it's been awhile since i was up on all my info (i used to teach aerobics, toning, weight, and stretch classes years ago), but if my memory serves me right, i am almost positive that weights_if done consistently_ will show results in 3 to 6 weeks. so, the muscle tone you see is really muscle tone.
keep up the good work, joe!
God bless you and be well,
sylvia

Hi Nancy,

Yuppers... Joe is seeing the real deal there. Muscle does have memory, and usually after 6 weeks of returning to exercise you will see very noticable results. Tell him to pace himself, before going to higher weights, try doing more reps.

I have been restricted from lifting heavy weights in my routine since surgery, but the lighter weights with high reps can still tone you up and get some bulk.

Tell Joe to keep it going.. He willl continue to feel better every day.

Rob

Latest posts

Back