QUESTION!!!! for those on anticoagulants

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psalmist

Okay, not a fun subject but we are adults so I will cast aside embarassment for the sake of peace. Besides I am sure this happens. I had a (painful) stool the other day ...two days ago maybe and I started bleeding. Not too much. Now everytime I go (once a day) I bleed. Do I need to do anything about it? It has happened before but this is a little worse than before. This morning I bled quite a bit (a couple of teaspoons I'd say). I do not bleed through out the day. Just when I go. Anybody want to weigh in on this?? I am not that concerned about it and really don't want to go to the doc to be violated
(he he) but my wife wanted me to ask. Thanks in advance for he advice.:p

Seth

Sounds like you developed a fissure at the opening. That's a little tear. Joe had that happen once. He went to the gastro doc and had to use sitz baths with warm water for a while. That took care of it. I don't remember anything dramatic that had to be done for it. Oh, also Tucks wipes to cleanse the area.

Could be hemorrhoids too.

But with any rectal bleeding that continues, you should have it looked at, unfortunately.

But with any rectal bleeding that continues, you should have it looked at, unfortunately.

I definitely agree. It will probably be nothing, but better to have it checked out than to ignore it and find out it wasn't nothing.
Getting it checked it will also allow you to find out possibly how to prevent recurrences or how to treat it correctly.

Last year my haemorrhoids started bleeding a lot so I went to my doctor to ask about the possibly need for antibiotics, thinking if blood is coming out then bacteria (especially from that area!) could get in and possibly cause endocarditis.

My GP said I didn't need antibiotics but he did examine me and agreed that I had haemorrhoids but he insisted that I had the CT colongraphy to check that all was well and there was nothing sinister in the bleeding.

I still bleed a little when passing a hard stool but nothing like as much as that time. I still am puzzled as to why they are not concerned about bacteria entering the bloodstream via the route of bleeding haemorrhoids.

Al Lodwick addressed this Question some time ago.

His advice:

Blood on Tissue, probably not a problem (most likely hemmorrhoids)

Blood in Stool (small amount), get it checked out but not Urgent.

Blood in Stool (Bright Red or Large Amount) GO TO ER immediately.

---------

Also, to help stools pass more easily, eat or take FIBER.
Fiber Softens stools and prevents them from becoming hard (and hard to pass).

High Fiber Cereals (e.g. Shreaded Wheat, esp. with extra fiber), Prunes, Apples (with skin), etc. are good sources.

Fiber Packets and Tablets are also available (e.g. Metamucil and others)

'AL Capshaw'

I had a fissure the year before my AVR, so coumadin wasn't an issue then. Spare yourself some pain and embarrassment, and go to the proctologist very soon. He is your friend. He'll fix whatever is broke, and tell you to take Metamucil for life, just not at the same time of day as coumadin. I get the generic stuff, and some days I even like the taste. Yeah, he'll do the exam (violate you, as you say), but that's necessary. When he did my exam, he said, "Well, the good news is you don't have hemarrhoids. Hemarhoids don't hurt that much." And don't be misled if the problem goes away, only to come back a few weeks later. If it is a fissure, it can begin to heal up, and then the scab is torn off and you start all over again. It's better just to go to the proctologist and get it over with.

I had a (painful) stool the other day ...two days ago maybe and I started bleeding. Not too much. Now everytime I go (once a day) I bleed. Do I need to do anything about it?

Seth

In my opinion, since it only started after that 'painful' once, it may go away on its own. If it does not go away within a couple of days, have it checked out. Meanwhile, take warm Epsom salted baths.

It could be an internal hemorrhoid or as others said, a fissure. My husband battled with the bleeding for a long time before finally getting it examined. By that time it was severe enough that he required surgery. He has had several surgeries but he said this particular surgery was the most unpleasant. Even so, it was what was needed and it fixed the problem.

I let mine go untreated for many, many years. Finally had the surgery. As Betty said, rather unpleasant, but if you need it, you need it. Glad I finally worked up the courage. Lots better now :D

I have been watching it. Mostly good. I had one stool yesterday morning that was clear. I hardly ever bleed. Mostly after a hard stool. I had one more that was lightly tinged with blood but much better. I am in range on my coag. I guess I can go to the doc if it doesn't clear up today.

Back