Question for the Women

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carly011

Hey,

So i am going in for surgery on wednesday. Problem is i have my period. I know they will still do surgery, but i was wondering has anyone been in this situation before?

Im assuming i can use a tampon as soon as i am able to get up and use the bathroom but what about during surgery and during the time after?

Any advice would be great!

Hi Carly,
My period arrived while I was in ICU the day after surgery. Totally unexpected, but I think our bodies react in all sorts of ways to surgery!!! I was half out of it, but knew it had arrived. I just told a nurse, who cleaned me up and put a pad there somehow. It's all a bit of a blur. I think I wore pads for a couple of days, then switched to tampons. Honestly, the nurses couldn't care less - they just deal discreetly and efficiently with whatever happens. Hope you're feeling okay about things. It'll all be over soon! :)

It is more common than not for young women to have a period whether due or not as a result of the shock to our bodies during surgery. The nurses don't blink an eye at it and will take good care of you in all ways necessary. Most of the cardiac nurses are outstanding..... at least that has been my experience through two OHS.

Hang in there. You'll do fine.

Hi Carly,
My period arrived while I was in ICU the day after surgery. Totally unexpected, but I think our bodies react in all sorts of ways to surgery!!! I was half out of it, but knew it had arrived. I just told a nurse, who cleaned me up and put a pad there somehow. It's all a bit of a blur. I think I wore pads for a couple of days, then switched to tampons. Honestly, the nurses couldn't care less - they just deal discreetly and efficiently with whatever happens. Hope you're feeling okay about things. It'll all be over soon! :)

I had the same thing happen to me as Allisonoz! I kind of chuckled thinking about my situation as there wasn't a pad readily available (until later) so they used one of those large pads (for urinary incontinence) and I am petite! I agree that it must be our bodies responding to the surgery. I also have to wonder if all the heparin and anticoagulants post op also contributes to this.

Do not worry about this! It will be taken care of and you can always give them a heads up.

good luck with your surgery on Wednesday!

Yes, even if it isn't "your time of the month", it will be. When I had my first OHS 20 years ago, I was lucky that my Mom is an RN and she gave me the heads up. She sent me to the hospital prepared with a box of pads and a sanitary belt (do they even make those anymore?)

My period arrived in ICU as well, totally unexpectedly. It wasn't heavy, and went away for a few days, returning when I was back on the ward. In ICU, the nurse dealt with it, and on the ward I was able to look after myself more.

Since my surgery, my cycle has changed completely fom being every 30-35 days, to being every 23-25 days. Has anyone else noticed their cycle shortening or changing?

Well my surgery got moved back to monday instead of wednesday(they had an emergency) And i ended my period on saturday so THANKFULLY i did NOT have to deal with it in the hospital!!! I was very happy about that, even though i was only there for 4 days it was still nice not to have to worry about my period!

Latest posts

Back