Question about Warfarin

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lyonsm

My mother had a St. Jude Aortic Valve replacement in July of 2009. She has been having problems with skipping and extra beats and some other problems, so she went to see another cardiologist. He said that he might take her off of Warfarin and stay with baby aspirin daily. She is 51 and I have been told that Warfarin is necessary for life to prevent clotting. Has anyone heard of a prosthetic aortic valve that doesn't need the person to be on Warfarin? If you could provide any insights I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

If she has a mechanical, she must stay on warfarin -- aspirin is not a replacement.
She is having arrhythmias -- not related to the mechanical valve. You need another consult! I have been on warfarin 8 years & sometimes do get funny heartbeats -- stress, too tired. This is unrelated to the valve type.

Last edited:
I would NOT go off warfarin(Coumadin).....to try to correct an arrhythmia probllem. I find it hard to believe a cardiologist is suggesting that a mechanical valve patient discontinue anti-coagulantion therapy.

I am inclined to think that there must be some miscommunication here. Anti-Coagulation Therapy via Warfarin is definitely required if your Mother's valve is mechanical. Not only that, but irregular heart beats are not, to my knowledge a side-effect of Warfarin. St. Jude does make tissue valves too though no? In that case, she may be able to stop the warfarin and just carry on with the aspirin.

My mother had a St. Jude Aortic Valve replacement in July of 2009. She has been having problems with skipping and extra beats and some other problems, so she went to see another cardiologist. He said that he might take her off of Warfarin and stay with baby aspirin daily. She is 51 and I have been told that Warfarin is necessary for life to prevent clotting. Has anyone heard of a prosthetic aortic valve that doesn't need the person to be on Warfarin? If you could provide any insights I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

As others have already said, if your mother's St. Jude Aortic Valve is Mechanical, she MUST stay on Coumadin / Warfarin for LIFE to minimize her risk of clot formation.

It sounds like she is having PAC's or PVC's (premature atrial contractions or premature ventricular contractions) which is 'usually' benign and readily controlled with appropriate medication (typically Beta Blockers). An EKG should be able to capture and identify exactly what type of arrhythmia she is experiencing if it is there most of the time. If not there most of the time, a 24 or 48 hour Holter Monitor should be able to capture and identify the offending arrhythmia. A GOOD Cardiologist should be able to figure this out quickly.

If her valve is indeed mechanical, the Doctor who suggested going off Coumadin / Warfarin and placing her on Aspirin only, should be reported to the State Medical Board and whatever hospital he is affiliated with. IMO, This guy is CLUELESS and DANGEROUS (assuming the valve in question is mechanical).

Suggest that you clarify what the cardio has said and what type of valve (tissue or mechanical) that your mom has. If she is having arrythmias, cardiologists called electrophysiologists specialize in treating electrical problems of the heart and that is an avenue your mother may want to investigate.
Your mom is very young -- she still has a lot of living to do. Make sure that she gets this resolved. :smile2: Keep us posted.

Her cardio should know that the actions of aspirin are entirely different from the action of warfarin. Aspirin makes the platelets less sticky, but warfarin is a true anticoagulant. Although adding large doses of aspirin to a warfarin regimen could, conceivably, raise the INR, eliminating warfarin and replacing it with aspirin is, at the very least, potentially life threatening.

I agree with Al -- walk (or run) away from this cardiologist and find someone who understands how warfarin works. (Of course, if you mother's valve is not mechanical - her coagulation management needs (if any) are very different from someone with a mechanical valve).

I am inclined to think that there must be some miscommunication here. Anti-Coagulation Therapy via Warfarin is definitely required if your Mother's valve is mechanical. Not only that, but irregular heart beats are not, to my knowledge a side-effect of Warfarin. St. Jude does make tissue valves too though no? In that case, she may be able to stop the warfarin and just carry on with the aspirin.

Yotphix, I don't understand the statement.. that St Judes makes tissue valves. I understand that you are asking a question. I just maybe think I need to know something along with your question. I thought the tissue valves were of human or animal origin. I didn't know they made them. Is that how you meant that? I am not really up on that as I have a mechanical.

Yotphix, I don't understand the statement.. that St Judes makes tissue valves. I understand that you are asking a question. I just maybe think I need to know something along with your question. I thought the tissue valves were of human or animal origin. I didn't know they made them. Is that how you meant that? I am not really up on that as I have a mechanical.

Yes, St. Jude Medical produces/sells porcine tissue valves. The Epic stented and the Biocor stented.
(My surgeon had mentioned the Biocor to me but I decided on a mechanical valve.)

Back