Question about valves and asthma

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kathie

I just know some of you have had both - I hope you can ease some of my fear along these lines. I have moderate asthma, for which I use a nebulizer each morning. I have never had an actual asthma attack.

Will this in some way affect the recovery time or the surgery when I have my valves replaced? Or am I just doing my endless "what ifs?" again?

You all are so helpful and reassuring, it's hard not to lean on you for the myraid of questions that keep coming up.

Thank you....

This probably isn't any help, but I most certainly had asthma-like symptoms before surgery. The GP diagnosed bronchitis and then pneumonia, prescribing antibiotics, which did no good. I had such trouble breathing he also prescribed a nebulizer-type thing, which did no good at all.

Surgery (AVR) fixed everything.

Jim and Kathie, I too had asthma before surgery. I have had mild asthma since childhood. When I first had problems with my valve (didn't know it then, but do now) my family doctor thought it was asthma and prescribed two different inhalers...which only made me worse. I finally said, look I either have lung cancer or it is my heart valve. I demanded he send me to a recommended cardiologist. I was in congestive heart failure. After surgery, one of the first things I noticed is that the "asthma" was way better...now it is hardly there at all. Cardio said quite a few people with mild asthma exhibit signs of asthma when their valves start failing. As for prior to surgery, I had no problems or things to avoid other than no more decongestants for a week prior, but they said if I had to use my inhaler ok. I hope you come back on the other side of this mountain and find your asthma is much better.

Prior to surgery

Prior to surgery

I was told I had C.O.P.D.(chronic asthma & bronchitis/pneumonia) for nearly 2 years. It was horrible, I felt like I was drowning. I told my "PCP" this every time I saw her. I was on inhalers and meds . I was having daily attacks. Finally:D someone heard me when I said I was drowning and ran more tests!

My mitral valve was at 4+ prolaspe. I had Surgery 5/5/03(I was out of the hospital for Mother's day :) )and have not had an attack since. I still use 1 inhaler(the non rescue one) but the Dr's think I will be off it shortly.

I do not feel the "asthma" was a hinderance in the surgery and definitely not in the recovery.
I hope this helps.

Nadine

Kathie,
I was in the hospital for a pulmonary valve replacement, and also have asthma. No problems with surgery, and on day 2 they started me back on my Advair.
I will also echo others statements about my asthma/bronchitis symptoms improving significantly after my valve was replaced. Family members told me I use to come home from work and sit on the couch and cough constantly (never aware of that) ....I don't do that any more. Must be valve related. Vlamus

Thank you all for your replies, so now I know THAT won't be a problem. Interesting how it seemed to get so much better for you after surgery....they actually diagnosed me with asthma when my valves started giving me trouble, too. Thank you all for your experiences and insight - you are all wonderful.

Hi Kathie,

Last fall I began thinking I was also getting asthma because I was definitely short of breath and at times wheezing. It was just one more thing I was going to mention when I finally had time to see my doctor. Weeks later I was in the ED with rapid atrial fib and discovery of the rheumatic heart disease. "Asthma" sure is a common thread with alot of people here.

I hope your's gets much better with surgery as so many other's have also done.

In the meantime, it's nice to share the waiting room with you..........................Betty

This is so weird

This is so weird

About two years ago I had a routine check-up with my pcp and he said I was wheezing and prescribed some kind of inhaler (I've never had such problems so just had it filled and used it occasionally). Ran into the same thing as you guys last Fall and used it a lot. Never saw him again until I went in this past January with the whole bag of symptoms of chf and valve problems.

And, as you all say, haven't had any use for it since surgery. I haven't even thought of it! Wish this thread was going before my appointment on 5/12; would have discussed this with the doc.

Hi, Kathie--well, it hs been 4 years since my AVR, and I hvae lately been noticing symptoms of SOB , wheezing and coughing. Is especially uncomfortable if I eat a lot. I had nasal allergies as a kid, but much of that went away. Due to some storm damage, we had a pretty serious roof leak and I wonder if maybe some toxic mold hasn't taken root somewhere and could be causing it. Neither my cardio nor internist have been too concerned since a chest x-ray came back okay about a year ago. But I still have the symptoms along with the occasional heavy chest. Am fine otherwise and walk/run most every day after working 7-8 hours in a pretty fast paced, stressful job. Maybe THAT'S it!! I hope the surgery relieves you of your symtoms--it's no fun feeling a struggle for breath! Susan:cool:

Latest posts

Back