Question About Post Surgery Traveling

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbdheartman

Okay, I have a practical question. We've been thinking of going to Rome in October for an ordination. It is October 8. If I had surgery July 30 (CC) or sometime later in August at Hopkins, would it be crazy to think about flying to Rome and staying there for a week in October, if I have a successful post-surgical recovery?

It's pushing it. Even a July 30th surgery only puts you at 2 months when you want to travel. If your recovery is picture perfect, it's not impossible but.........I would definitely buy travel insurance.;):D I would think surgery in August would put you too close.

It's pushing it. it's not impossible but.........I would definitely buy travel insurance.;):D

I agree with Gina. I would also check with my USA health insurer as to how my domestic health insurance would cover an "event" in a foreign country. A few years after I had my surgery I had an INR problem while I was on vacation in Spain and was scared to death that I would end up in a Spanish Hospital....and I don't speak the language. Fortunately, the problem cleared itself and medical care was not necessary.

Well, Dr. Duke Cameron made me go back to work at 8 weeks and told me and my employers I could lift something like 30, 40 or 50 pounds! Yow! (I could never lift much over 30 and would be terrified for my back and other innards if I did.) If you heal as quickly as I think you will, and your wife (or another "responsible adult") is there to watch out for you, I think you could make it. After all, Hopkins gets people from other countries all the time who presumably fly back to their home countries after discharge from the hospital. (Hey, ask Cameron or the stern Dee about it.)

However, you might want trip insurance, or at least have refundable tickets, "just in case"--that is an expensive trip! Also, you really should get the medical insurance they sell for Americans abroad. (I have known Americans who have had to seek care for dissections abroad. Sadly, one died due to all of the walking she did while touring Italy.--Take the bus tour, CD, not the walking tour at that point in your recovery!)

You have a relative who is a Cardinal or something?

Patients who are fortunate enough to have smooth, non-eventful recoveries often return to (non-physically demanding) work after 6 to 8 weeks.

That said, it is still Common to Get Very Tired Very Easily and when your Energy is Gone, it is GONE. There is NO Second Wind so you will want to be able to sit and rest when that happens. Some mention using Wheel Chairs or the motorized rides to get through airports without becoming overly fatigued.

Bottom Line: Do NOT expect to be back to 100% capacity after only 2 months Post Op.

Dick brings up a VERY important point about health insurance coverage in a foreign country. You may never have the opportunity to use it, but you want to make sure you are covered just in case.

Some people traveling in foreign countries found out that cash up front was what they had to do, even in an emergency, and it was big bucks.

You wouldn't want a terrible surprise like that.

Check every single thing out, but wait--I don't think I have to tell you that :D

you'll probably be okay to travel at 12 weeks. go with the refundable tix,
get overseas health insurance, but make sure they'll cover pre-existing
conditions and medical evac. get a checkup and approval before you leave.

i had an all-day trip, three flights and a bus ride, at three weeks. today's
posts has someone getting the ok to play volleyball at 14 weeks.

Travel?

Travel?

Where's that cryatal ball that sees our futures when we need it? Whether or not making a trip out of the country is possible in October if your surgery is in late July or early August depends upon how your recovery goes.

Yeah, at ten to twelve weeks post-op you'll probably be less than 100%, but a trip to Italy could be enjoyable without being 100%. Personally, I wouldn't have passed on a trip to Italy during my recovery. I would've had the attitude that I could recover in Italy just as well as I was recovering at home. If you are proceeding with a successful recovery, go to Italy and find yourself getting tired, take a nap.

Setting a goal to make a trip to Italy in October might be a good focus for your recovery. Set the goal and see how it goes.

Of course, you could always ask for and receive a professional opinion from your cardiologist after your surgery.

-Philip

My husband is with the State Dept. and every US embassy has an American Citizens Center in which they help advise American traveling in that country who get into trouble. Trust me they get calls from jails, hospitals, etc....My only advice is to have their phone number in your pocket, just in case.

I went on a road trip of about 9 hrs in May after quad bypass in March. I did not have to drive, I was watched by sister and daughter and well taken care of.

Ask your doctor. depending on how your surgery goes and your recovery time, you might just be able to make it. An ordination, if family, would be a wonderful reason to go. wishing you well.............

you'll probably be okay to travel at 12 weeks. go with the refundable tix,
get overseas health insurance, but make sure they'll cover pre-existing
conditions and medical evac. get a checkup and approval before you leave.

Do all those, and figure out in advance who you'll call/see if something doesn't feel right while you're there. Nearly 3 months into an untroubled recovery, I had effusion without typical symptoms and won another surgery and 3-day hospitalization to get it taken of.

I had aortic valve and root replacement on April 15th. I went back to work on May 15th and took a girlfriend's vacation June 8th through 16th. We took my car and I did all of the driving (approximately 8 hours per day for two days to reach our destination and the same returning.) I was definitely not 100% but wouldn't have missed it for the world. Along with everything else that was suggested, bring your discharge paperwork as well.

Your cardio and surgeon might permit it but I think you might regret it. That is strenuous travel. We've spent a fair amount of time in Rome and walking (the seven hills), the cobblestones etc is strenuous.

I would not plan a trip to Rome so soon after OHS but that is just me.

Latest posts

Back