Question about Post-Surgery Rehab

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbdheartman

I am scheduled for an aortic aneurysm repair on August 14 and a likely David Reimplantation procedure. I have a question. Is it typical to set up some sort of post-operative cardiac rehab or can you do the rehab on your own if you are dedicated?

I had two OHS in four years but did not go to rehab and have no regrets. It is far more usual than not for my cardio to send his patients post surgery/post heart attack to rehab but said to me he didn't feel I'd get enough out of it to make it worth it.

He knows I eat a healthy diet, I understand all that happened to me, I am highly motivated to take care of myself and exercise safely and consistently.

My first surgery we discussed it; the second he didn't even mention it though I am very sure he would have approved it for me if I requested.

I know others may not agree but for me that was the right choice.

I had an AVR and a bypass on 6/30. I saw the cardio yesterday. He gave me a prescription for rehab, but said that I should not go for another month. You need the prescription in order to get insurance reimbursement.

I have gone for rehab for orthopedic conditions, and have found that after awhile, there was no reason that I could not do the exercises myself. I suspect that the same thing will be true for the cardiac rehab. I know my way around a gym. I think that I would like to know just how far I can safely push myself. So, I suspect that I would go to rehab for a couple of weeks, learn the exercises, and then go it on my own. My community has a teriffic gym.

Most people do not have rehab, at least that is my impression. Just get up and walk as much as possible within your strength limitations post-op.

I'm 6 weeks post op, (my 2nd MVR). I'm in my second week of rehab, & doing great. I did not do it the first time, but I am this time, because I wanted to know that I was pushing myself far enough, and that I could safely push myself to my limits. I have a very physical job.

I doubt I will stay in rehab for longer than 3 weeks total. To me it has been worth it.

They mainly have me doing 40 minutes of actual workout, on a treadmill, bike, etc, anything that keeps the heart rate up, and this can be broken up between the above listed.

I have a treadmill at home, and I do walk for warmups, almost every day, but at this point, I'm not pushing myself at home as much as I am in rehab.

I went to rehab for eight weeks three times a week. It was truly worth it. They were kind and observant and pushed at the right times. I very highly recommend it if your insurance will pay for it. It is not cheap.

My cardiologist responded that they didn't send valve patients to rehab automatically, but she would prescribe it if I wanted.
If you enter a rehab program, you'll probably have a stress echo on a treadmill to set a baseline, and you will exercise under medical supervision.
If you do it yourself, your baseline will be assumptions about your condition post-surgery that may not be proved true, and your concerns will not be addressed on the spot.
There are many threads on this topic. Some of us found it valuable, and others felt they didn't need it.
If you don't already have a gym available, you might consider the benefit of being able to exercise in an air-conditioned facility. In our part of the country, it could still be uncomfortably muggy 8 wks after your surgery date.

Rehab

Rehab

My cardiologist dropped me into a rehab program at two weeks post-op. I was on a pretty fast track with the recovery thing and he wanted to slow me down. The rehab program was beneficial for me and I enjoyed it. I learned a lot about how my heart was healing and it felt pretty good to see the progress I was making.

I could've done it on my own, but I'm glad I did the program.

-Philip

I went to rehab after six week; i.e. after I started driving. Although I was an active person, yet I agreed to go to rehab as it rebuilt my confidence in my healing heart. It was worth it, for me!

Good luck :)

some need it

some need it

we have post surgery "cardiac clubs" run by the public hospitals which are open to private hospital patients also. personally i think there are more of a social outlet for old folks to swap stories and recipies etc. also there are cardiac clubs in various gyms etc.

i guess some folks need these sorts of things for networking, information and reassurance and love going; which great; and some of us would sooner die!

It is typical for your doctor to recommend a rehab program and for your insurance to pay for a certain number of sessions. However, as you have already read, many people do not go.

The people who need an official rehab program the most are the ones who know they need someone to motivate them, and the ones who know they are likely to overdo it. The two extremes, in other words.

Also, if you need to make big lifestyle changes after surgery (complete change in diet and exercise habits) then you might really benefit from a rehab program, because they cover diet and lifestyle as well as exercise.

I didn't go to rehab because I needed neither instruction nor a place in which to exercise. I kept a journal of my activities and heart rate so I could share it with my cardiologist.

I went to rehab and am so glad I did. It really helped me get confidence to push myself - knowing that help was only a few steps away if I needed it. Plus - my insurance paid for it - cheaper than a gym:) I think I went for 4-5 weeks 3xper week.

I went to rehab and am so glad I did. It really helped me get confidence to push myself .

Chris- I think that we are of the same mind. Right now, (4 1/2 weeks post-op), I am behaving in a "listen to your body" mode in terms of activity. Problem is, that is very subjective. I really want to know objectively just how well my heart is healing, and just how much exercise is safe for me.

Before surgery, I walked between five and six hours every week, many in slopping terrain, half of them as exercise.

I started attending Rehab two and a half weeks after surgery. In addition, one week after surgery I started walking (with the surgeon approval) at home three times a day, 30 minutes, each time.

One day, three and a half weeks after surgery, I decided to increase the pacing of my walks. My wife said that she could not keep up with me, but I did not feel anything wrong. I felt good. But that evening I felt a bradycardia (pulse down to 50/min) for a couple of minutes, followed by a tachycardia (pulse up to 150/min) that lasted five hours and was handled at the hospital.

Did I overdo it? All my life I have been a good walker, and at this moment I wish I could increase my walking.

Juan

This morning I was rushing around, something I find difficult to do, post-op. I found that afterwards, the pain in my incision, which is usually nothing more than a tiny bit bothersone, was aching.

I checked my vitals, which were o.k., but I think that my body was trying to tell me to "slow down"!

Another thing that I found really helpful in rehab were the stretching exercises and the light weights - really helped my chest muscles. Helped me get back on the golf course quicker.

Well, I've had 3 surgeries at Stanford, and each time I am just told to start walking, adding more minutes every am or pm each day as I can. I guess I could've asked for rehab, but, walking out the door is so easily done twice a day. After many weeks, my cardio said I could do whatever I wanted for exercise, so I started lifting small weights, doing crunches, plank, squats, lunges, and now walk about 45 min to an hour 4-5 times a week. I guess if one is used to being in shape, it's easier to do your own rehab!

Debby A.- Same here. In Florida, I don't dare walk farther than my mailbox. I get most of my exercise walking in malls, and in stores like Sam's and Costco. (You can put on a lot of mileage in those joints! :eek:)

My cardio said that I could start rehab at 8 weeks, so I have 3 to go.

Latest posts

Back