Question about my aoric stenosis

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SarahL

I have had the aortic stenosis with regurgitation since birth. When they replace my valve does that mean the regurgitation will go away or is that something they have to fix seperately. Im going to ask my surgeon this question on my next visit before the surgery. But hopefully someone can answer this also.

I didnt know if the regurgitation is in the aortic valve or what. Iv known ive had this all my life, but never asked if the regurgitation was in the aortic valve also. Not trying to sound stupid just really never thought much about my heart problem or asked questions until i found out it needed to be replaced.

Stenosis means that the valve opening is narrowed.
Regurgitation (also called insufficiency) means that blood is leaking back through the valve when it is closed.

BOTH are functions of the valve. Note that most mechanical valves allow 'some' regurgitation to 'wash' the valve surface during closure to help prevent clots from sticking to the surface and growing bigger.

Have you discussed Valve Selection with your Surgeon?

At your age I *assume* he will want to use a mechanical valve since tissue valves do wear out and they wear out faster in people under age 60. Mechanical Valves are known to create clot formation and therefore require anti-coagulation medication (Coumadin or the Generic Warfarin) for Life.

The most common bi-leaflet mechanical valves in the USA are made by ATS, Carbomedics, On-X, and St. Jude. Medtronics-Hall makes a single leaflet valve that operates much like a toilet seat lid. Single leaflet valves are not used by most surgeons anymore.

The St. Jude Valves have been around for 30 years and have a proven track record for durability. ATS and Carbomedics are 'spinoffs' of the St. Jude Valve. The relatively new On-X valves (introduced in 1996) address several of the design deficiencies of the earlier valves and seem to offer significant improvements in performance. See www.onxvalves.com and www.heartvalvechoice.com for more information. You can contact On-X at 1-888-339-8000 for an information package or for answers to any questions you may have.

'AL Capshaw'

Ive already discussed which valve to use with the surgeon and he said he is using the mechanical valve. I just didnt know if the regurgitation was in the aortic valve also. Ive been researching aortic valve on the internet but just wasnt sure about the one thing. Thank you so much for the info it was really helpful to me.

Latest posts

Back