Question about coumadin and antibiotics

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

debster913

Hi, all--

I'm still a newbie to all this, but here's a question I have, but first, some background: I will be going in to have my teeth cleaned in about three weeks. My cardio usually prescribes Biaxin (clarithromycin), 1,000 mg. Because I am on warfarin, I do know that there is an interaction with the two.

I know I will need to ask my GP since my cardio's office will be closed for vacation, but what is usually the procedure for stopping warfarin before a dental procedure?

Thanks,
Debi

For my most recent teeth cleaning, I was given amoxicillin by my dentist. It was only a couple pills, just before the appointment. I don't think this amount had any dramatic effect on my INR.

You might check with your dentist. If (s)he doesn't refer you back to your cardio, you may get useful advice from the dentist, who has undoubtedly cleaned the teeth of others on warfarin.

You shouldn't have to stop your warfarin for a tooth cleaning.

but what is usually the procedure for stopping warfarin before a dental procedure?

Thanks,
Debi

For a cleaning, I would not alter my warfarin routine in any way....and have not withheld warfarin for a dental visit(extractions, etc.) for many years. I normally take 4- 500mg tab amoxicillin one hour before a cleaning. I don't think it has any effect on my INR....although some other (heavy duty) anti-biotics can.

Hi Debi,

I take 4- 150 mg capsules of Clindamycin one hour before dental, or cleaning appointments.
It has never been an issue for me. No worries.

Rob

Hi Debi,

I take 4- 150 mg capsules of Clindamycin one hour before dental, or cleaning appointments.
It has never been an issue for me. No worries.

Rob

Yep - exactly what Rob said - only I take 4- 500mg tab amoxicillin one hour before a cleaning - no adjusting warfarin.
The person who is doing the cleaning may ask you what your INR is, mine always does. One time my girl got a little concerned when I told her my INR was 3.1 just before my cleaning, I told her not to worry I'll be fine - so just a heads up on that one.

Latest posts

Back