Question about choosing a cardiologist

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

river-wear

Maybe I'm over-thinking this, but I was wondering if the folks who didn't travel to have their surgery done could help me out. Does it matter (or is it important) if your cardiologist has hospital privileges where you intend to have your surgery?

Thanks!

Michele

I was in the hospital twice, 3 days each, for surgery and complication 3 months later. For the AVR, my cardiologist's colleague came in briefly once. For the second, my cardiologist came by once, but missed me because I was being held captive in the xray transfer room:rolleyes:. You will probably get most of your information and care from the surgeon's office for a month, then back to the cardiologist's oversight.
If you needed a further hospitalization after you go back to the cardiologist's supervision, and wanted to return to the same hospital, I'm not sure how that would work. It might be worth finding out.

Well we didn't travel, but Justin has his surgery at a different hospital than his ped card was at for his last couple of surgeries(long story). I prefer to have 1 cardiologist incharge of him while he is in the hospital instead of whoever is on call that day/week. I called and asked a cardilogist IF he would follow Justin while he was in the hospital until he is discharged from all follow up care. He did. THEN Justin got an Adult with CHD cardiologist who was at the hospital he currently uses for surgeries so he had a cardiologist there, but still kept his cardiologist that has been his since he was 2 days old and really knows Justin and all his history. The adult CHD card followed him when he had his surgery in 07, but just left, sooo we will be getting another cardiologist to be his attending for his next surgery, we just haven't decided who yet.

For the most part the doctors where he had his surgery kept in contact with his main cardiologist,(we did too) so it probably isn't NECESSARY to have surgery where your cardiologist has priveleges or get a cardiologist at THAT hospital too. Justin's history is just pretty complex, so I try to keep all the bases coverred just in case.

I didnt travel for my surgery as Mass General is close to my home. My cardio has privileges at associated hospital but is not an attending at Mass General. My surgeon arranged for Mass General cardios to see to my care while in hospital and I returned to my regular cardio upon discharge. Was no issue at all for me especially seeing as my surgeon was in contact with my cardio throughout my stay. Given they are associated hospitals, surgeon and my regular cardio knew each other.

Michele:

When I had my MVR, my cardiologist had privileges at Baylor in Dallas (his office was attached to the sprawling hospital complex).
When John had his mitral repair, his cardio was in Fort Worth and he had surgery at Dallas Presbyterian. I don't remember what cardio saw him while he was in the hospital, but it wasn't his own cardio.
His surgeon's office includes some cardios, so I'm sure it was one of them.

Thank you everyone! That's very helpful. I'm looking at changing cardios and it's good to know I don't have to map out the next 12 months at the same time. ;)

Back