Question about aortic valve replacement/ascending aorta repair

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grey

I'm looking at AVR for BAV/severe stenosis in the near future and i also have a dilated ascending aorta (4.8cm). My aortic root, on the other hand, is normal at 3.8 cm. My surgeon is recommending a separate valve replacement and aneurysm repair, leaving the root and coronary artery hook-ups intact. He says studies have shown that if the root hasn't dilated by the time the valve needs replacing , it doesn't need to be repaired. Has anyone else been presented with this option? I know we have a wealth of experience and knowledge in this group, and I'd be very interested in hearing your thoughts and experience on this topic.

Thanks,

Grey

Grey, what you describe is what I had done on March 7th. My aortic root was mildly dilated measuring 4.2cm, while my ascending aorta was significantly dilated at 5.4cm, and my BAV was moderately stenotic on it's way to severe. My surgeon spared the root and replaced the aorta with a gelweave graft, and the valve with a carbomedics A500 series 25mm mechanical valve. I am meeting with her tomorrow and plan to revisit why we left the root when it was 4.2cm, at least as measured on a 2D echo. I know her stated reasons before the surgery was that a) the root shouldn't dilate anymore once the valve is changed out with a good mechanical valve and b) the additional time on bypass, potential complications, and reattachment of the cardiac arteries weren't warranted with a root at 4.2cm. She also assured me that she wasn't planning on doing surgery on me again, and she was confident in this approach.

Again, I am meeting with her on Monday and plan on asking her about this reasoning again. It is too late for me to second guess, no question about it. That being said, it seems strange that a 25mm valve feeds a 42mm root that was then attached to a 28mm graft. It just seems like a potential for further dilation. I am going to ask her about it, and I assume she will put my mind at ease. I will certainly let you know what she says, and I look forward to others' experiences on this thread.

Thanks for your reply, Jason. I'm interested in hearing what your surgeon says about it tomorrow. It does make sense to me to leave that critical native connection between the aorta and the coronary arteries intact, as long as it doesn't mean increased risk down the road.

Thanks again,

Grey

I could be wrong and I hate to even say this since Jason already had his surgery, but I seem to remember watching one of the videos presented at one of the aortic symposiums

http://www.streamingmeeting.com/webmeeting/rillahan/aats/2010/toc.html

or

http://www.aats.org/CME/Aortic-Symposium-Presentations-on-Demand.html

where one of the presenting surgeons argued for replacing the full aortic root with a dacron graft modeled to include artifical sinuses, and that they included a sketch of one where the graft went in above the root and showed the root dilating post surgery.

I think it may have been Tyrone David's presentation but I am not sure.

Thanks for the link, Derek. I just went through several of these, and found them very interesting. Tirone David does argue for replacing the entire root with a graft modeled to include artificial sinuses, but he also says in the presentation that this is brand new and not available in the US. I think this is Dr. David, of the David procedure, which is a valve sparing aortic root replacement. He is well known for the procedure which allows people with otherwise fine tricuspid valves to retain their own valve by reimplanting it in an artificial graft.

In Dr. Sundt's presentation, he has a picture of the root dilating after graft of the aorta and valve replacement, but mentions that this occurs frequently in Marfan's syndrome patients but not to our knowledge in BAV patients. I tried to find another presentation with this picture, as he seemed to reference that he had lifted it from another esteemed colleague who was presenting at the symposium, but couldn't find it. I'm not sure that Dr. Sundt came to any conclusions, but to me he was saying that with Marfan's syndrome you would want to replace the root, but he wasn't so sure with straight BAV.

There was a presentation in the abstracts (Abstract 86) that discussed the fate of remaining sinus of valsalva after followup on on several patients. I may be incorrect and someone can feel free to jump in, but I believe the sinus of valsalva is the aortic root? If that is the case, the conclusions of the paper, a 17 year follow-up, were the following:

The sinuses of Valsalva rarely dilate significantly after AVR and aortic repair

Separate valve and graft remains a reasonable option in the absence of significant root dilatation

The ascending aorta remains at risk of late dilatation if treated with aortoplasty

I will post a separate thread about my visit with the surgeon and the cardiologist, but in general three different docs told me today that I should not worry about further dilation of the root. In my particular case, the root is 3.9-4.0cm (4.2 was measured on echo, CT says 3.9cm) which for my body surface is darn near normal per the cardio. I am a fairly large guy, so that is the basis of their statement. With the reduced pressure gradient, the more-laminar flow, and the replaced aorta, they seem to be banking on the fact that the dilation will not go further. They said the risk of coronary artery blockage from scar tissue and the increased surgery time on bypass was higher than the risk of dilation (which is very low according to them), and I am hoping they are right.

I certainly have the concerns in the back of my head about having further surgery down the road for root dilation, and part of me now thinks it would be nice if I had had complete replacement. However, it is over and done with for me, so all I can do is tell you what my surgeon and cardio said. Grey, I would take this information and ask a lot more questions (and pointed questions) of your surgeon, and maybe even call for a consult with Mayo, Cleveland, Mass, etc. See what others would say about your particular case. It was good for me in retrospect to see the conclusions of the study presented at the Aortic Symposium and hear the confidence in my cardio and surgeon, but given the fact that you haven't had the surgery yet I would definitely pursue it further. It may be that your particular surgeon doesn't have a lot of experience with replacing the root, and that may be driving their decision (or my surgeon's decision, for that matter) to not do a full replacement. Let me know what you find out.

I could be wrong and I hate to even say this since Jason already had his surgery, but I seem to remember watching one of the videos presented at one of the aortic symposiums

http://www.streamingmeeting.com/webmeeting/rillahan/aats/2010/toc.html

or

http://www.aats.org/CME/Aortic-Symposium-Presentations-on-Demand.html

where one of the presenting surgeons argued for replacing the full aortic root with a dacron graft modeled to include artifical sinuses, and that they included a sketch of one where the graft went in above the root and showed the root dilating post surgery.

I think it may have been Tyrone David's presentation but I am not sure.

And Derek, don't worry about posting something that might indicate future complications for me. I would much rather know what I may have to look forward to than be ignorant of it. I was quite taken by surprise when my aorta expanded in February, and I would much rather have had time to think about it and have a plan!

my surgery involved a st jude mech valve in a graft and then the rest of my ascending aorta in a dacron graft as well.

i know that my surgeon mentioned that the coranary arteries could become twisted or collapse(and need to have bypass) but things seemed to work out ok while i was under the knife!!

I am very happy with my surgeons work and abilities!

Jason,
Thanks so much for all of the information. I was very interested, it seems that our situations are similar. My aortic root is also dilated to 4.2 (per MRI) and my ascending aorta is 4.3. For me, the BAV was the primary concern, due to LV dilation and regurgitant fraction. My surgeon plans to replace the valve and "remodel" the aorta, sparing the root. My research was similar to yours, and what stood out to me was the fact that leaving the coronary arteries intact lessened the risk of the surgery significantly. Instead of a wrap, my surgeon plans to just do the repair and put me on Losartan to prevent redilation of the aorta. I guess I need to be more assertive, because I didn't really understand that rationale. I did read that Losartan has been used (off-label) for that purpose. However, it is also an anti-hypertensive and I will be on a beta-blocker as well post-op. My bp already runs low (100/60, and since I've started a low-dose bp med, 85/45). I guess if I can tolerate that and still function now, I'll be OK. :)
Thanks for your posts, I'm interested in what you find out.

Latest posts

Back