Q about protecting my noggin

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plumber1

I maintain INR levels at 2.5 to 3.5 and have been told no-no on some activities where my head could be injured. I want to ride a bicycle, just on paths not really on roads too much, and am wondering if anyone has figured out what helmet provides the best protection.

Thanks for any insight on this question..

Mark.

Mark, even if you are not riding on a road, you could have a crash and whack your head on a rock....with that said, you could do the same damage just by walking in your garden or falling down stairs. Buy the best bike helmet that you can afford and don't worry about anything else. Before my surgery I was riding mopeds around the farms and found that my motorcycle helmet was just too heavy. So I bought a really good bicycle helmet.
The fit of these helmets is extremely important. Have fun !

Helmet Choice

Helmet Choice

My bicycle helmet probably saved my life last June when someone hit me with a car or truck. The helmet I was wearing was crushed and broken in three pieces. It's been used several times in presentations with kids to illustrate why wearing a helmet is a good idea.

Find a decent quality helmet that fits well. I spent $39.00 on that Giro I was wearing last year. It was an old helmet that I had complained about purchasing when my wife initially insisted that I get a helmet and wear it. I didn't even hesitate when I spent $100.00 to replace it. My new Bell fits much better than the old Giro.

-Philip

All bike helmets sold in the US have to comply with CPSC standards. That means that any helmet will provide the same minimum level of protection. The difference with "high end" helmets is primarily in ventilation, aerodynamics, jazzy colors, etc.
The most important thing is getting a helmet that fits properly and then wearing it every time you ride.
I crashed at about 22mph on my triathlon bike three years ago. Flattened one side of my helmet when my head bounced off the pavement. Trashed my helmet, but my local bike shop sent it back to the manufacturer to study and they sold me a new one at cost.
Mark

I won't go around the block without my helmet on. I crashed once with a high impact steroform helmet and it split right know the center, would have been my head. I ride with a Specialized aerodynamic model, kind of old now but still works. Like the others mentioned get the best you can afford and don't leave home without it.

Thanks for the helpful tips everyone... especially the weebles from Ross.

I am a big fan of wearing a helmet when cycling and now that I am ready to commence riding again I will get fitted for the best available. Thanks again.

Valve on!

Mark

ALWAYS WEAR A HELMUT WHEN RIDING A BIKE!!!!! You could tip over while barely moving and if you bang your head on the concrete, you might not recognize a bike next time you see one. Anitcoag. therapy is no reason not to ride. One of my riding buddies takes coumadin because he had a blood clot in his leg a few years back. I don't recall his INR range, but I'll tell you that he'll log about 15,000 (that's right THOUSAND) miles this year. And he rides aggressively. He's also crashed several times and has never had any kind of bleeding issues. And yes, he always wear a helmut. ALWAYS WEAR A HELMUT WHEN RIDING A BIKE!!!!!!

Back