Pumphead - New Study

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hensylee

I received the following article this morning from Dr Rich in About.com:

Heart Lung Machine
Back in 2001, a study from Duke University showed that many patients having coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG) experienced a measurable decrease in mental capacity after surgery, which persisted for up to five years. This cognitive decrease after CABG has been called "pump head," because doctors have speculated that perhaps the heart/lung machine (the "pump") that is used during CABG was the culprit.

In the last few years, however, a few studies compared outcomes in patients having typical "on-pump" CABG with those having minimally invasive bypass procedures (which do not require the heart/lung machine). These studies did not show any reduction in "pump head" with the minimally invasive surgeries.

And now a study from Utrecht suggests that pump head might not even exist. This study compared the outcomes in 152 patients having typical on-pump CABG surgery -- 75 patients had minimally invasive off-pump procedures, and 99 patients did not have any bypass surgery (their coronary artery disease, or CAD, was treated medically). All the patients had formal testing of their cognitive function prior to surgery (or, for those not having surgery, at the time of enrollment into the study) and then periodically for six years. The investigators also did the same cognitive testing in a group of healthy control patients for the same time period.

The results of this study found that all three groups of patients with CAD had (on average) some reduction in cognitive function at baseline, compared with the healthy control patients. Further, the cognitive performance of all three groups with CAD tended to deteriorate over the duration of the study, regardless of the type of therapy they received.

The authors of the Utrecht study concluded that the long-term cognitive decline often seen after bypass surgery is apparently not due to the surgery at all, but instead to the patient's underlying vascular disease. That is, they suggest that the atherosclerosis that causes CAD is also causing a certain degree of reduced blood flow to the brain, and a gradual reduction in mental capacity.

What Does This New Information Mean?
The Utrecht study does not fully vindicate bypass surgery as a cause of mental status changes. In fact, a temporary reduction in mental capacity (lasting up to several months) is indeed seen in many people after traditional CABG, and even after minimally invasive bypass surgery. Furthermore, the people who experience these transient changes in mental function after surgery appear to be the very ones who, once they recover, are at particular risk for the kind of long-term deterioration in cognitive function that was measured in the Utrecht study.
Possibly the most important take-away here is that atherosclerosis is not "merely" a disease that can block the coronary arteries, or that can be "fixed" by surgery, stenting, or any other local procedure. Rather, atherosclerosis is a chronic, progressive vascular disease that can affect several important organs in the body, including the brain. Anyone who has atherosclerosis, or who is at increased risk for atherosclerosis, needs to do everything they can to reduce the risk factors that accelerate this chronic, progressive disease.

How about those that go on the pump for valve repair replacement or other non-bypass reasons? The summary does not seem to even consider those situations. From previous discussions on this forum it seems most folks feel that they had some degree of impairment (e.g., short term memory problems) following OHS, many of whom did not have any bypasses.

The study sounds good; but to be more complete it just needs to follow through and include consideration of folks that go on the pump for non-bypass reasons.

From previous discussions on this forum it seems most folks feel that they had some degree of impairment (e.g., short term memory problems) following OHS, many of whom did not have any bypasses.

I think it's untrue that most people who have had OHS (even without bypass) feel that they have any level of medium to longer-term mental impairment. Yes, most people that post on forums about pumphead may have complaints about this, but it's likely another case of forum bias... those people that have a reason to complain are the ones that post. I've seen several studies refuting any cognitive issues beyond a few months after surgery. It would be interesting to have a broader forum poll on this. (Have we already done this? Can I blame this on short term memory loss after my recent surgery? :) )

Another excuse out the door. Now I have to finally start admiting my forgetfulness is from old age...;)

Mark

we have had many discussions about pumphead. those for valve replacement also go on the pump so it's probably valid here, as well. there are way more patients of cad for testing maybe?

Mark, me too.

Thanks Ann ... I have no CAD and I did have an issue with pump head for some time after surgery but these days, I’m with Mark ... getting older is wonderful but some of the side effects aren’t ... I was going to add something else but can’t seem to remember what it was;)

I had a AVR and CABG, and notice nothing more than my usual "senior moments". Nearly 20 years ago, when I had a bone marrow transplant, I was sure that I was "brain damaged" for months after my procedure. Go figure! :confused:

I don't know about pump head but I don't have atherosclerosis as far as I am aware but I certainly am not the same now as I was prior to my endocarditis. Mind you the vegetation breaking off and causing a stroke obviously did some damage so perhaps it is just that and anno domini causing me problems. :(

Boy...I was going to use that as an excuse when I go back to work, now I'll have to go back to the "i'm going through my changes excuse".....

Thanks for the info! I believe in Pump Head and know I still suffer from it some days! Doctors do not like to admit it is a real problem but it is!

Hi Ann,

Thanks for the info. I am very interested in getting as much information as possible on this topic. But if things keep progressing, I wont remember why! :)

Not sure I agree with it from what I personally have experienced since my surgery.
"dtread" made an interesting comment regarding this study in his comment above.

Hope you are doing well.

Rob

I don't like this connection between atherosclerosis and reduced cognitive function at all! At 22, I got the short end of the genetic stick with BAV and then got beat over the head with said stick when I found out I also had premature atherosclerosis of the distal carotid artery due to familial high cholesterol. Allof these things out were discovered through diagnostic testing for a concussion. I've had cognitive issues for the past three months attributed to Post Concussion Syndrome, but a suggested link between cognition and atherosclerosis (and I believe this link needs considerably more research) worries me further. Cognitive deficits are no walk in the park. When you can't think clearly or your not as lucid as you once were, it can have significant effects on your personality and your ability to function in daily life and at work; there are few things worse that I can imagine. I don't want to be at further risk for similar problems when I am older! But, again, I don't know if this something to be worried about. It just makes me wonder...

Pumphead??

Pumphead??

This has been one of my major concerns. I have alzheimer's on both sides of my family and am in a research study at the U of Wisconsin for children of alzheimer's parents. They have started an adjunct study on the cognitive effects of anesthesia. At age 66 I don't need any further nudges in that direction....

My surgeon says it is overblown by 1000%...but that is a surgeon's perspective.

On the other hand, I know that after my hip replacement my brain function was very sluggish for at least a week. That seems to be common after major surgery. I have also read stories of "chemo head"...from people undergoing chemotherapy who experience similar effects. Perhaps any major trauma to the body may cause some of this?

I *think*!! I recovered full cognitive function after the hip surgery. My valve problems were diagnosed almost 12 years ago and I was lucky to go this long. For awhile I thought if it became severe maybe I would just let it go.....now the symptoms are such that I have scheduled surgery for Jan. 21.....I don't want to continue feeling weak, short of breath, etc. So, I have expressed my concerns to the medical people, but what will be will be. Hopefully in the next 10 years they may be able to sort more of this out.

Pat

Pat, I doubt you need to worry about any major 'pumpheadedness'. I have been a member here since 2000; Mark came in soon after that. There have been no MAJOR problem that we know of. None of us have had any real problems getting on after surgery. Some of us have name or word memory problems (I do). But as for remembering who we are, where we live, etc, there has been none of that. I wish you well with your surgery. Go into it with a confident heart. Blessins.........

It looks like the Utrecht study confirms what Johns Hopkins published in August 2009:
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=disease-may-cause-pumphead

An excerpt:

They were aware that patients who have trouble with their heart arteries also have trouble with their brains' vasculatures. Other studies had even shown that 20 to 40 percent of patients set to undergo CABG already showed some degree of cognitive decline before the operation. "It's there and it's detectable through standard psychological assessments," Selnes says. The degree, however, is usually slight, he adds, which means it "is probably so common that it's probably thought of as being normal aging."

I have a different hypothesis, although it may be based on an incorrect underlying assumption(?). It is my understanding that standard post-op nursing care includes administration of insulin even to non-diabetics, and they apparently try to keep blood sugar lower than a normal post-prandial level. My hypothesis is, considering that the primary fuel for the brain is circulating blood glucose levels, artificially decreasing blood glucose starves the brain of nutrients at a time when they are most needed.
Jeanie

Latest posts

Back