pulse, sleeping and alot more

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marge said:
<< Tylenol PM ... doesn't contain pseudoephedrine, but the sleep ingredient is generic Benedryl, which is an antihystamine. It shouldn't raise your heart rate.>>

However, anyone who has ever been diagnosed with heart failure (as I think some on this board have) should be careful of any OTC containing antihistamine. Even Benedryl.

Benedryl, btw, makes various products with different ingredients so you need to be careful.

Anything that claims to also be a decongestant is something that a lot of people with heart issues need to stay away from. Decongestants will raise your heart rate. As well as anything with caffeine in it, such as Excederine or Bayer.

Yes, it is the decongestants and multiple-symptom cold formulas that have pseudoephedrine hydrochloride (original brand name, Sudafed).

It's great and useful stuff, but not for everyone.

Tylenol PM does use an antihistamine that has a high-incidence soporific side effect, but I'm not sure it is generic Benadryl. I've not been aware that Benadryl has a high incidence of sleepiness associated with its use. I don't have any Tylenol PM or Benadryl around, but to the best of my memory, Benadryl is diphenhydramine hydrobromide (sp?). Someone could check for it on a Tylenol PM label, if they have some, and let us know.

http://health.yahoo.com/health/drug/202060/precaution

Tylenol PM is indeed acetaminophen and diphenhydramine. Diphenhydramine is an antihistamine and is the main ingredient in most sleep aids (although it doesn't make me sleepy). The main two side effects to watch out for with most antihistimines would be if you had problems with asthma or your prostate, but rare side effects also include irregular heat beats. Check this link about side effects of antihistamines if you want to freak yourself out. :D

It's amazing what some of the side effects are for the most "benign" drugs. That's why it's always best to consult with your doctor if you have a health problem and want to start taking an OTC drug. I have worked in the pharmacy field for close to 20 years, and I see both sides of the coin. Some people will worry themselves to death after reading the "rare side effects" of a patient education sheet for a drug. Others will pop just about anything in their mouth without checking if they think it will make them feel better.

Lee,
I had to force myself to use good posture the first several days after surgery. I know it's uncomfortable, but you need to stand up straight and pull your shoulders back or those chest muscles are gonna tighten up on you all the more and you're likely to develop some real slouchy habits. Don't I just sound like a mother!!!!!!!!
Sue

Sue I think your right
Im gonna have to start to stretch those muscle out. If Im sitting down kinda slouch over I feel fine breath fine and all but as soon as I sit up straight it gets tight and even more tight when I stand up.

I slept about 7 hours last night woke up off and on. But then I took me a nap from about 8:30 to 11:00 that was some good sleep there maybe the best Ive got sense coming home.

I have got to go see Dr. Mcgiffin tuesday I dont think hes gonna be happy with my progress. I know Im not walking as much as I should but its kinda hard to walk when your chest it tight and you cant breath as deep as you would like when walking. Ok enough rambling on.

I went to my 9 year olds baseball game last night from 6 to 7 a little stessed afterwards but it felt good to get out.

Lee

I agree with Sue. As much as possible, try to get yourself to use the posture we're "supposed" to have. We can go back to slouching later.

I keep trying to "sit up straight" and to stretch a little more several times each day, though I have had an on-and-off, stabbing-pain intercostal pull on my left side, and a hot-tearing-effect muscle rip in the front of my right shoulder. They seem to be going away, although slowly.

Fortunately, they don't seem to bother me when I'm walking.

Lee,

Karlynn turned me on to "8 hour Tylenol" which worked really well for me, controlling night time pain and helping me sleep longer. Also, I faithfully did all of the stretching exercises they sent me home with.

Latest posts

Back