Ptsd

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

esvaja

Hello, Has anyone been diagnosed with PTSD after their surgery(ies)? I find it very hard not to stop thinking that if I wouldn't have followed up 5 months
later after an associate of my primary suggested an heart echo and never had any follow up. Also had a bad experience with pericardial effusion afterwards
and spent more time in the hospital UoM with that then with the original surgery at CC.
daiva wish you you all the best bump free healing.

A while back a member here started a thread on PTSD and there was an interesting discussion that followed, maybe you can search
for that thread. If I find it, I will post the link.
For myself, I found the whole heart surgery experience very traumatic.

I had a discussion about this with my family doctor who I have come to trust, well....., with my life. She thinks that this may be a problem for a surprising number of people after such a major surgery. To help deal with it, she is certain that attending Cardiac Rehab is essential because it not only restores one's confidence in one's body but it also provides opportunities to talk about what has happened with other people recovering from the same experience. She also suggests that one should talk to their doctor about the possibility of using an antidepressant during the recovery period because depression during recovery from heart surgery is very common. These are things you can do for yourself to help continue healing. Even if you did not attend Cardiac Rehab previously, it is very likely that your cardiologist would arrange for you to do so now.

Larry

Latest posts

Back