ProTime 81-F3 Error Code

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

KIRSONRON

I began using the Protime 3 system in December of 2001 - I love the convenience of using this unit. I've been using the same lot of Cuvettes since receiving the unit without any problem for over 3 months. However, over the last 3 weeks, I have gotten three error codes of 81-F3, signifying a "level II control too high".

I've been in contact with QAS and have been sent a new box of cuvettes even though my old stock had an expiration date of November, 2002. I was also advised to lengthen the time I left the cuvette at room temperature to one hour. I was never really diligent in allowing the cold cuvettes to warm but never had a problem until recently.

Has anyone experienced this situation? The last couple of tests ran fine.

Thanks for the update. I had used the same lot of cuvettes for nearly 3 months and had never received the error code before. Then three times out of the next 6 tests failed. Perhaps they had aged even though the expiration date was not until next November. Anyway, I've changed my methodology and now take out a couple of cuvettes (a one week supply), from the refrigerator and leave them at room temperature since they can stay up to 30 days at ambient temperatures. Since that first lot is now gone, I'll never know if it was premature aging of the control chemicals and/or failure to allow them to warm before use.

Hi,

I have been using my PRoTime unit for over a year, and test weekly. I have never had the error code that you had.

I store my couvettes in the refrigeretor. Usually I test on Thursday mornings, so I take a couvette out of the refrigertor on Weds night, still in the wrapper, and let it sit a room temperature over night. If I test on any other occation, I take it out of the refrigerator, and let it sit at room temp for over 30 minutes. However, in those instances, I do open the wrapper so that it can get ro room temperature faster.

Another interesting note. Do not store your unit in a cool / cold place. The unit also should be at normal room temperature. I had mine stored in a cold corner closet. and on several occations, I did get an error message, (someting about the battery) as I turned it on. I let it warmup, and it worked fine.

I haven't had that error message again since I started storing in a warmer part of the house. (Also, winter is now over,)

Good luck with your unit. I really like mine. Take it with me when I travel, and really appreciate the peace of mind home testing provides.

Rob

Last edited:
I appreciate the input. I'll see if the problem recurs now that I've modified the "warm up" period and received a new lot of cuvettes. I too love the machine. My INR was fairly stabile so the lab visits were not too bad - it was the waiting at the lab for the test and waiting to speak to my doctor that was a real pain. The ProTime put me in control and up until last month, ran flawlessly. I'll just chalk this up to experience and hope that I don't have any more problems. QAS will swap out the machine if I have any further difficulties so I'm not worried.

Ron

Several things could have caused that error code:
1. the Cuvettes were bad
2. your INR was too high to register
3. the cuvetts direct from the refrigerator could have some condensation still on them or inside them and not register accurate results, this is why we are asking patients to take out supplies the night before to completely avoid this error.
As in your case you recieved new cuvettes & you also started to take cuvettes out of refrigerator long ahead of time to be used. And in your case this has resulted in no more error codes. We are all happy that it was not your INR,and that you called tech support right away. Thank you.

QAS responded immediately and the last 3 tests were fine. Hopefully by letting the cuvettes warm will permanently resolve this. Thanks for the suggestions.

Latest posts

Back