Protein Powder!!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve119

Hi I have recently started going to the gym to try and increase my muscle size. I have been told that taking protein powder is a good supplement to aid in the recovery of workouts and to help the muscles grow. I was wondering if taking this would have any affect on my INR level?

Thanks,

I'm sure it would, but can't find any specific statement or study saying so. Best advice, test 3 or 4 days after you start to see if it's going up or down and adjust for it.

Protein powders may vary.....they can be based on whey, eggs, soy, etc.
If no vitamin K is listed, then it will just be a matter of trying one out for a few days.
(remember consistency is key)

I would say that it definitely will affect your INR, but it will depend on the brand. Whatever you decide on, test frequently in the beginning to adjust for it, and then stick with the same brand and flavor.

Good luck!

I am a vegetarian and eat a lot of soy products. I think soy may contain (naturally ocurring) vitamin K. Even when I am avoiding green-leafies, My INR seems to go down when I eat a great deal of soy.

Ross' advice is excellent. Consume but test to see what happens. Then adjust your medication, if necessary.

Good luck!

Soy definitely had an impact on my INR the short time I was on coumadin. I eat a fair amount of it in my usual diet. I was unaware for most of the time I was on ACT that soy was one of those foods that affect INR and was surprised it was omitted from the 'education' materials I received in the hospital. They were too focused on my very high in veggies/greens diet and omitted mention of soy.

Soy is one thing I was told to watch out for, along with cranberries. So, as has been suggested before, eat it regularly, and test frequently until you have adjusted your warfarin for the change.

If you read medical pages on the web and listen to everyone, you will find that almost everythiing interferes with Coumadin. In most cases the effect is minor. Just don't binge on anything and you will be fine. If you go out of range, just make small adjustments to your dose and you will be fine.

I use whey protein powder. I'd stay away from the soy kind.

Ahh so that's what helps you carry out photosynthesis huh?

Soy is a known INR killer, so if your getting lots of soy in your diet, you better count on adjusting up on Coumadin. Don't think the cranberry thing is ever going to die even though it's been proven safe and I've posted it many times.

I've had gastric bypass so protein drinks were a way of life for me early out - I still have one most days because as a non-meat eater, I don't always get the required amount of protein in (half before my workout and half after).

Whey protein isolate is the better form but it's generally more expensive. But you have to be careful, the very nature of these supplements means that they often have vitamins/minerals added.

I do know that Unjury has no vitamin K in as I contacted them to ask. Peter didn't have much of an appetite when he got home and a protein drink helped.

If you're thinking of going that route, I'd recommend the unflavoured: http://www.unjury.com/reg/nutrition.shtml

Made with milk, it'll give around 27-28g of protein. And if you get some Torani or DaVinci flavoured syrups, you can ring the change.

But you don't really need to buy protein supplements (unless you want the convenience when you're on-the-go).

Make your own!

1 1/2 cups milk (I use organic fat free)
1/2 cup cottage cheese (again, I do the ff stuff)
sling it all in a blender with some fruit - frozen berries work well, and just buzz it all up for a great smoothie. Omit the berries and use the flavoured syrups and ice for a change.

That'll give you around 27g protein a shot.

Latest posts

Back