procrite, iron pills, feeling weak

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidpa28140

Hi guys, I'm 15 days post op and feeling terrible. I had aortic valve repair, I was released from the hospital very anemic and given iron pills to help boost the red blood cell count, and my surgeon did not want to do a blood transfusion. There has been much talk of "procrite" but I really don't know much about it except my insurance won't cover it. Has anyone been in this situation? The iron pills constipate me terribly and make me want to vomit. When I finally drink enough milk of magnesia and prune juice to break the painful constipation I end up with diarrhea for days which further drags me down. I feel like I am in a viscous circle. I get sob with very short walks. Any ideas or experiences would be most appreciated.

Thank you,
Dave

Dave?.. I was sent home slightly anemic and it got worse ? I felt like CRAP?. My cardio stuck me back in the hospital and I got three units and was a new man the next morning?. I would check with your cardio or someone ? if you are feeling this way due to being anemic there is no need for it.

How much iron are you taking? Didn't think they made one get constipated unless your taking too much at one time.
If this has been going on for more than week you best see your doctor.

Dave, it is definitley time to give the cardio or surgeon a call. It sounds like you are in a vicious cycle and they need to help.

Oh … and for the constipation pour a coffee mug full of prune juice, heat in the microwave and drink it as hot as you can stand it, repeat (seriously) … If that don’t work get a shoe horn;):D

thank you so much for the replies, as you know, backsliding is scary. I can generally eat a muffin in the morning, and maybe a hamburger or small serving of liver for dinner. I am generally to sick from the iron pills to eat any lunch. Last Saturday, the home nursing ,nurse sent me into the ER for chest x-rays due to fluid in the left lung, while I was in there they took 5 tubes of blood, that made me feel so bad I could barely lift myself up to walk so needless to say I really don't want to go back. I did better walking last week then this week. I didn't have the light headed feeling so much last week, could be the blood that the ER took I guess. Has anyone tried this procrite injection? I will try some searches here next.

Thank you again, your personal experiences are invaluable.

Thanks David, but whats the dosage of each pill? 100mg each or is each pill more?
I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong) 300mg should be your max for the day.

Hey David, one more question.
Are you taking all 3 pills at one time? Maybe if you where to take one every 5 or 6 hours it might work better with your system. Just a thought.

When need be...I take mine on an empty stomach all 300grams of it (1 pill), but I have never had any problems.
Now call the doctor and lets us know whats going on.

Take care

Joe was under the care of a hematologist for severe anemia. He was on 3 iron pills per day, prescription strength Folic Acid pills every day, and I gave him ProCrit injections three times per week. ProCrit is very expensive, about $150.00 per shot. So, in Joe's case that was $450.00 per week. His was covered by insurance.

ProCrit does work and very well.

I would think if your doctor wants you on it, he could try to find some way to have you get the injections.

Maybe if you consult with a Hematologist that would help.

By the way, part of Joe's anemia problem was related to his impaired kidney function. Has your doctor done any labwork to check out your kidney function? If not, perhaps that should be part of the workup for you.

Dave,

I am currently struggling with iron 325 mgm three times a day for hemolysis and and some other unknown bleeding source and it also makes me sick. My Dr does not see me as a candidate for Procrit but has suggested two iron infusions a week apart for five hours each infusion but is hesitant as some people have an allergic reaction to it.

Not sure if an infusion is an option for you.

Good luck,

donna

Slow fe

Slow fe

Hi folks, I contacted the cardio today, He advised me to stop taking the digoxin as it was sometimes known to cause nausea. He also was unhappy that the ER prescribed me Avelox(antibiotic) for the fluid in my lungs, so thats two less pills to take starting today. I have found that after taking a pain pill (lortab) that I can stand to eat something small, but this is clearly not the long term answer. Today I picked up some "slow fe" (iron pills) from the supermarket that claim to be gentler on the system., I am going to try one of these before bed. Tomorrow I am calling the surgeon to ask more questions on all these pills as well as who should be guiding me in thier use.

Thanks for your input,
David

I truly think you need to have another CBC done and probably a top off of whole packed red cells.

Latest posts

Back