Pretty Darn Good News (I think) at my Appt./Echo the other day....with 1 issue though

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roxx

June 2009 I had my first ECHO after I had a panic attack, and a gamut of tests was ordered. On that first echo, it showed that I had a possible BAV, and an Aortic Root of 3.4….. No leak, no stenosis.

New Cardio enters the picture...as the last one moved to a Columbus, OH hospital……Echo #2 happened in September 2010….. Still said possible BAV, root this time was measured at 3.8…..still no leak or stenosis.

Last week, December 14th 2011, was checkup #3….. Another New Cardiologist…as the last “new” one also transferred to a big Columbus, OH hospital.

He comes in, introduces himself….all the usual questions…..then he listens to my chest.
He says “you have a murmur, so rather than schedule you for another day…I want to do an Echo right now.”

So we do an Echo right on the spot in a different room….with both he and the tech in the room.
The findings were:
1) For the first time…. This tech clearly located 3 leaflets!!! Yay! Actually have a Tricuspid Aortic valve (Dr. was in the room, he confirmed this…and I could see 3 very clearly working as well.)
2) Ejection Fraction measured at 61%
3) Aortic Root size measured at 3.7 on this one
4) Aortic Cusps at 2.8 on this one (I don’t know if that is horrible or not…he never brought it up)
5) Aortic valve opening 2.5 cm2 (tech said this is awesome…I will take awesome!)
6) And…..again…. no regurgitation or stenosis…… Which the Cardio absolutely could not believe as he was watching the monitor…..he said he “wow, that surprises me as he “”knows he heard a murmur””.”

He said “very good, no restrictions….. try to relax, (my BP was 140/72 at the office) and see me in a year.
All in all….. I think this was pretty darn good news…..but now I am confused by this “murmur” thing…..I have never, never, never had another Cardio, Family doctor, nurse, or anyone else ever say that they have heard a murmur on me.

Every echo I have had does say “slight mitral valve prolapsed”, perhaps this is what this one Cardio has heard?? I also have been fighting a cold/flu so maybe this has something to do with this murmur thing? As I know my pulse speeds up every time I am sick….has ever since I was a kid.

Sounds like a good appointment!! Many people have murmers but they are just innocent and don't need treatment :)
Glad you get a year 'off'
Love Sarah xxxxxxxxxx

I wouldn't worry about the murmur, as long as the echo shows you're good, that's the bottom line. My mother, brother and myself all have BAV. my mom is 66 and is still fine. We all had murmurs for decades that didn't need anything. I just had surgery 6.5 weeks ago. I think the yearly follow-up on you is a good idea but it sounds like you are a long way from needing to consider surgery.

Thanks for the replies gang. Man, it just seems with this "heart" stuff there is always something to worry about.

1st it was....BAV......so for 2.5 years I have read up on BAV info every free second....only to find out...."WHOOPS...our mistake, you aren't a BAV"
2nd....while a 3.7 Root isn't bad....and in the upper normal range..... I wonder why it's that size??? I am age: 33, 5'11, 180lbs..... male....so I am not huge.
3rd..... same day I hear.... Not a BAV...... (which is good).......I get hit with this murmur deal..... which is new...and I am hoping logically explained. While looking at my echo as it was happening the cardiologist said "valves look good." So what else can cause a murmur if not the valves?

Did you change your name here? You're roxx your sox or something like that? I wanted to reread your earlier posts
but I wouldnt worry about a murmur.. Ive had one off and on my whole life, its just a different sound and since you've had alot of tests that show the various heart structures are fine, maybe this doctor just had a better stethascope or hearing than earlier docs so it probably isnt something that it a problem that just started

Lyn-yep, this is me. My original account was linked to my University email. Since I graduated in 2009, I no longer have access to that, so I had to re-register. Good to hear from you.

Lyn-yep, this is me. My original account was linked to my University email. Since I graduated in 2009, I no longer have access to that, so I had to re-register. Good to hear from you.

Did you see if Hank could just change the email so all your posts are together. Good o har things are still going well for ou too

Why were you getting all these echos if you didn't have a murmur? You probably have had it all along and no one told you. A murmur is a sign of turbulent blood flow. It could be from a valve defect, like most of us here have or had, or it could be a "functional" murmur from a benign issue, such as "athlete's heart". You appear to be in the functional category based on the most recent echo. Based on the timing, tone, and other qualities of the murmur, your cardiologist was expecting a defect, but none was found. Enjoy life!

Why were you getting all these echos if you didn't have a murmur? You probably have had it all along and no one told you. A murmur is a sign of turbulent blood flow. It could be from a valve defect, like most of us here have or had, or it could be a "functional" murmur from a benign issue, such as "athlete's heart". You appear to be in the functional category based on the most recent echo. Based on the timing, tone, and other qualities of the murmur, your cardiologist was expecting a defect, but none was found. Enjoy life!

Hi Bill, the 1st echo was ordered when I visited the ER 2.5 years ago with what was diagnosed as a panic attack.
During that 1st echo, all 3 aortic valve leaflets could not be visualized, so they said I had a possible BAV and to get a annual echo.
At Echo #2....... Same story..... possible BAV, come back next year.
Echo #3 that just happen.... all 3 aortic leaflets were visualized. (although 2 are bigger than 1 smaller one)
Cardiologist says he hears a murmur..... but seemed more alarmed by it before he saw the echo than after.
I do lift weights and run 4 days a week.....perhaps I will look into the athlete heart angle. Thanks

Hi roxx fantastic news mate, my aortic valves have 3 leaflets 1 of them is rudimentary, therefore Im still classed as a bav. Your aortic root sounds absolutely fine to me, and heart speeds up when you're ill is absolutely normal, fighting infection and all that, unfortunately for us anxious people, we notice it even more, like when you drink alcohol........ have a great Christmas

Guys.... the nasty anxiety has crept up again.... my appointments are usually scheduled 12-14 months apart. After 14 years at my current employer, and 6 years of college, I have just been offered a fantastic job, which got my mind spinning again about "heart problems" and "surgery" so in tone of voice that could only be taken as a prank phone call... I called my Cardio's office about an hour after I received the job offer, and requested the first availible appointment.....afterall... how can I train 100 miles away from home, and be expected to learn a new job...with this "heart problem" and pending "surgery."

As I have stated in other posts, there is very much part of me that is jealous of those who have had the surgery and moved on..... as I have been told everything from 10-30 years. I am convinced it's not the surgery itself thats the likely horrible part....waiting and being trapped within ones mind is the tough part.

Latest posts

Back