Pressure in ears when standing after long sitting periods

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HenryCT

Hello all,

I was diagnosed with BAV a year ago, it was found somewhat accidentally while checking for other heart issues, and supposedly the condition of my BAV is "fine", just monitor for now.

Over the last several months, I have been noticing something strange. When at work (primarily, sometimes at home), I noticed that when I sit up and head to the bathroom after sitting for a while, I suddenly start to get pressure in my ears, and my hearing is reduced. I'm pretty sure I can also hear a (whoosh whoosh) sound that coincides with my heart beat. If I had to guess what this was, it seems like some kind of BP drop or something. It usually lasts about 15-30 seconds, and then fades away and things are normal. It also seems to take 10-30 seconds before it starts, so often it's as I am getting to the bathroom at work that it starts. It's not painful. I don't think I feel light-headed in the normal sense, but it does feel weird as my hearing is reduced and I feel pressure in the ears and head.

I notice that some days it doesn't happen at all. I also think that my waistline may be part of the equation. At work I tend to wear jeans or belts, maybe more leaning forward. At home, I have this issue less, and I don;t think I have it at all when I am wearing sweats/shorts.

My next follow-up with my doc is in a few months. They have thus far only done a stress test (treadmill) and followed that with an echo (in that order), in which the echo revealed the BAV. They also later did an MRI (or CT, cant remember) to look at the entire aortic root. Supposedly, my doctor has said "everything looks normal", although without any level of detail. When I pushed him for details, he was just saying "you're fine, normal readings" (in terms of blood pumping, aorta size, and so forth, but again, no details).

Of course, as my one year follow up approaches, my anxiety level increases. Will this be the time that they say "hmmm, we see some degradation now, we may need to act quickly".

Googling around, the closest thing I could come up with to diagnose this ear pressure was POTS (Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome), but I don't fit the exact symptoms. I don't feel like I am going to feint, no noticeable weakness, just the ear pressure like I am underwater or going down an elevator.

Other searches have pointed to tinnitus, but that seems odd to me since this ONLY happens when I stand and walk, after sitting for an hour at desk, and with belt/pants on.

Anyone with BAV have any similar experiences, and what might that mean?

Hey Henry, I definitely used to get to where could feel/hear blood rushing through my ears after some heavy exertion. Similar to the "whoosh whoosh" you described. I don't recall it ever affecting my hearing though. It only happened after a overdoing it on a tough hill on my bike or something. I never actually sought an answer from the doctor...I just chalked it up to over exertion.

Hey Henry, I definitely used to get to where could feel/hear blood rushing through my ears after some heavy exertion. Similar to the "whoosh whoosh" you described. I don't recall it ever affecting my hearing though. It only happened after a overdoing it on a tough hill on my bike or something. I never actually sought an answer from the doctor...I just chalked it up to over exertion.

Henry - This could be related to a situation that is fairly common among BAV/aortic stenosis patients where their blood pressure is significantly lowered for a few seconds when they quickly stand from a sitting position. For me, if this ever got drastic enough, my hearing would "dim" and I would hear my heartbeat. I'm told that this is common for aortic stenosis patients, but this in itself is not considered a "cardinal" symptom, and is not a trigger for rushing to surgery. Patients are simply directed to be careful and rise/stand up slowly to avoid the issue.

I would be mindful when rising, and discuss this in detail with your cardio at the next visit. If your cardio doesn't want to discuss with you, or if they will not share details, I would look for another cardio. (I know from personal experience that having the right cardio for you makes a major difference.)

I can't comment on your issue unfortunately, though did find I had low blood pressure after surgery (AVR) and standing up quickly would cause me to feel dizzy for a few seconds. They reduced my blood pressure tablet.

Just wanted to mention that if you are concerned about blood pressure level a decent BP meter (the type with a cuff that goes around the arm - I am not so sure about the wrist ones!) only costs about £20 - £30 ($30 - $45 ish), and it might be interesting to check your BP before you stand up, keep the cuff on and test again when the ears problem starts, though that might be difficult if it only lasts a few seconds.

Back