Pressure gradient?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shanwow1

I have a question about the measurement of the pressure gradient across the aortic valve. I have seen it expressed as one number (XX mmHg) and 2 numbers (XX mmHg/XX mmHg), as well as a percentage. I also saw something about peak gradient and mean gradient. So when there is a general guideline of >40 mmHg as indicated severe stenosis, where does that fit in to the expressions of this measurement? Thanks for your help.

I took it that >40 mm/Hg is expressed as "severe" is when it's the mean gradient - though that appears to vary from country to country. In the UK it seems "severe stenosis" is expressed when the mean gradient is >60 mm/Hg. When my gradient was under 60 mm/HG my cardiologist said it was "moderate", and when I questioned him he said that Americans would say that is "severe". Looking at things further, in America it looks like >60 mm/Hg is "critical". Confusing what ?

The percentage thing is usually the Ejection Fraction.

I took it that >40 mm/Hg is expressed as "severe" is when it's the mean gradient - though that appears to vary from country to country. In the UK it seems "severe stenosis" is expressed when the mean gradient is >60 mm/Hg. When my gradient was under 60 mm/HG my cardiologist said it was "moderate", and when I questioned him he said that Americans would say that is "severe". Looking at things further, in America it looks like >60 mm/Hg is "critical". Confusing what ?

The percentage thing is usually the Ejection Fraction.

I don't remember for certain if the number I had was peek or mean, but the value I do remember, it was 115. Needless to say that was not good and with 10 days of that test I had my procedure.

I have very few records of my "heart problem" before my surgery, but I do have one that says "cardiac catheterization was performed and showed that he had a gradient of 117 mm. over the aortic valve". This was included on the Operating Record as an "Indication" of the need for surgery. From what I have read, it was good that I was able to have the surgery back then, or I would not be around to type this post.

Thanks for your responses. Sounds like it is most commonly referred to as the mean gradient. I actually met with my cardio yesterday and it turns out this number isn't a major factor in my diagnosis because I don't have stenosis, just an insufficiency of the valve. Still interesting to know. Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back