Preparation

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny Stephens

OK, so I'm 6 days away from the big day. I'll be having my AVR on Tuesday (4/16) of next week. I'm actually checking-in to UWMC on Monday the 15th to have my angiogram and other prep-work done. I get to have my night-before anxiety all to myself, apparently, rather than being with my family.

Because I haven't had the angio yet, I still don't know whether I have coronary artery disease that will require bypass work at the same time. My family history indicates this would likely be a problem for me later in my 60s, perhaps, but I've had no chest pain or angina.

I'm in kind of a weird place mentally. I'm winding down at work, getting everybody ready to carry themselves while I'm out; I find myself worrying more about how they will possibly be able to do their jobs for so long without me!

Questions to my surgeon's staff about my upcoming momentous event are brushed aside as routine and 'no big deal.' I'm making it a point to take reassurance in that..this is so routine for them that it really is no big deal.

Nervous? Yes. Preoccupied? hmmm....yes. Scared? No.

Hey, is that 'the mountain' over there?

Yeap, that's the mountain over there. Is it beginning to look smaller to you? Probably not at this point.

Were still here plugging for you anyhow and your not alone even when you think you are. ;)

I don't know about you, but I'm cycling on ups and downs. Build yourself up to deal with things and wind down because of the waiting. I should be looking in the face of that mountain very soon myself.

Hey Johnny - I've got hold of your hand. Feel it? Just hang on tight and we'll walk along with you all the way up. Next week this time you will be over it and soon will be supporter in a whole different way. And on to better health. God bless

HI Johnny-

Only a few more days left before you take the first giant step to becoming a newer and healthier you. You'll do just fine. If you get last minute jitters in the hospital, they can give you something to help you sleep. You won't have to worry about afterward, you'll be flying "high" with lots of meds. And before you know it, surprisingly soon, you'll be up and walking around the floor with your IV pole tethered to you.

It sounds as if you've done all the necessary prep work to get ready, and your focus now should be on how much better you'll be feeling.

Don't be put off by the surgeon's office, it really is routine for them and I guess it should be routine for them LOL, but it's a big deal for you.

Sending positive thoughts your way.

hi johnny!
as you probably know by now, the waiting is the worst part. once you get there, it will all be behind you in no time and you will be well on your way to recovery.
i will be leaving for vacation tomorrow, so i am wishing you all the best right now. you will be in my thoughts and prayers and i look forward to coming back and seeing your posts again.
God bless and be well,
sylvia

Well Johnny,

Since it's the same surgeon and hospital I choose, I think your making an excellent decision. :)

I know it's difficult not to be a bit nervous, but there is nothing I went through that was a big deal. The staff at the hospital will take good care of you and Dr. Verrier is an excellent surgeon.

I'll be at UWMC on Monday (blood test) and Thursday (cardio appt) next week, let me know if you would like me to drop by. It would be fun to meet.

Chris.

Thanks all for your usual understanding and reassuring words! :D

Chris: I'd be happy to meet you next week. Not sure which day would work out better..I as yet have no details about where / when to go on Monday. Thursday, I'll theoretically be out of Intensive Care and in my own room. As soon as I find out more about Monday I'll let you know.

Yep...thats the mountain. But I think the few days before are a bit easier, since the die is cast, and you know you need to goforward, and up.

Wishing you, and your family...........peace.

Marybeth

Johnny - I wanted to wish you good luck with the surgery next Tuesday. I think you have the right attitude. I remember that weird feeling when I left people to do my job. When I returned 7 weeks later, it was like I never left.

Johnny,
Thoughts to you from across the sea.
I can only imagine your thoughts at this time, as I have yet to develop to the stage of surgery for my aortic valve.
However you have given much support to others in the last months and now it is your turn to receive our love and prayers.
Go well

Preparation

Johnny,

Best of Luck Buddy!!
You'll do well..just relax and go with the flow

Jack ( Welland )

Hi Johnny,

I wanted to let you know that I'll be thinking of you next Monday and Tuesday and looking forward to seeing a post about you early next week.

Things should be settling down for you now. All the arrangements are made, the decisions finalized as much as possible, and the waiting almost over. Now all you have to do is keep yourself psyched about reaching the mountain top and feeling so much better.

You have a lot going for you. I'm sure you'll do fine.

Ron K

hi Johnny

hi Johnny

just a note to let you know I'll be thinking about you next Monday and Tuesday ...you'll be in my prayers . I'm sure everything will go fine and I look forward to seeing you back in here telling us what a breeze the whole thing was ...you take care
Love Scottie

Johnny,
My thoughts and prayers will be with you. Like the others, I went up the mountain and now have seen the other side.
I'll meet you on that otherside.
Take care.
Will be waiting for a post about you.
carbo

Same day-Same Valve

Same day-Same Valve

Dear Johnny,

So, we are both scheduled for the 16th. First off, all the best to you on this momentous ocassion! We will be off on a trip. I am starting to get a little nervous. I kept myself busy all week; however, my mind is letting me know what is ahead. I am looking forward to good health in the future and an improvement in the quality of my life. That is all I want. I would imagine that you feel the same way. Anyway, best of luck.

Truly,

Gregory Golden
Boca Raton, Florida

Hi Greg-

Your special day is soon here. And before you lies a whole new world of feeling better. You'll do just fine. Leave everything in the very capable surgeon's hands, there's nothing more for you to do but start the healing process.

Before you know it, you'll be walking down the hospital corridors.

Sending good thoughts your way.

Johnny,
Since my own surgery will be a week after yours (April 24) I suspect we are sharing many of the same feelings. The mood swings from "I am excited to having it done and getting my health back" to "Would it all go away if I ran away to Mexico?" The mountain is tall, with its tip poking through clouds. I try to remember that the odds are massively in our favor, that we will be in the hands of highly trained and caring professionals, and that in a matter of weeks we will be enjoying new-found health and enjoying the view from the other side of the mountain.

I will be thinking of you during your surgery, and wishing you all the best. God speed, Johnny...see you on the other side of that mountain!!!
--John Cochran

Aortic stenosis and insufficiency; Cryolife Synergraft aortic homograft on April 24, 2002 in Minneapolis, MN

Greg,
It looks like there will be a number of us "April mountain climbers"! Wishing you the very best...thoughts and prayers will be with you on your special day!

--John Cochran

I'm eight weeks post-op and looking back, the hospital experience was much easier than I imagined beforehand. Pain was well controlled and the 'twinge' in the sternum when you cough only lasts a second. The salt-free diet they gave me was pretty awful, but after a couple of days my appetite recovered and hunger took over.

My surgery was on a Monday and I came to work on the Friday and stuck it out until around 3 pm when I went to my boss and basically admitted that there was no way I was going to accomplish anything useful, so he let me go home early.

Best of luck,

Alan

Latest posts

Back