Pregnancy and Valves - Women Please Read!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wondered too about whether it was the valve. I know it hasn't been on the market for very long. Tough to say whether it was that or the Lovenox. I kind of feel like we will never know the real answer to what happened.

Kris,
I just read this post to my wife. We're very sorry you had to go through this very difficult experience. My wife clotted with a second generation mitral St. Jude valve in 1999 when she was pregnant with our son. She took Lovenox from six weeks until delivery, and had blood tests, which were based on her weight only.

When we discovered she was pregnant again in 2006, we decided to go through everything under the direct supervision of her team of doctors. She was on Lovenox the first trimester, followed by Coumadin in the second trimester. Things became very complicated when she went into pre-term contractions at 24 weeks and was placed in the hospital for six weeks with a Heparin pump. Willow went into heart failure at 30 weeks due to a clot on the mitral valve. She had her fourth valve surgery two days following delivery of our daughter.

We had several doctors that helped with our pregnancy. We had the director of OB care, director of cardiology, director of hematology, and the USC Cardiology research team. Even with daily blood monitoring, factor X's, then heprin on a IV pump and several echos she clotted. Yet, the same doctors were able to successfully deliver women with aortic valves. Dr. Elkayam, USC Cardiology Research, has a lot of data regarding valve pregnancies. He has been researching this issue in women from all over the world for years. The data shows that the highest point of risk is at the third trimester due to the increase of blood flow through the heart. Both St. Jude and On-X valves are great, but we feel neither will work in the mitral position during a pregnancy. Personally, we would never try with a tissue valve either. Though of the three that would be the best in our opinion.

We're grateful that God blessed you to pull through your difficult experience and that you have a lovely baby boy to show for your efforts. You definitely deserve all the best and your story is in our hearts.

God bless,
Anthony and Willow

October 2006 MVR ON-X Valve
September 1999 MVR St. Jude
August 1993 MVR St. Jude
January 1993 MV Repair

Thank you

Thank you

Kris,
Thank you for sharing your story. I'm so sorry you had to go through that, but I am very happy that you and Carson are ok. Congrats on your baby boy! I can't even imagine what it would be like to have those 2 surgeries in one day, it takes a very strong woman to endure something like that.

I am 31 and have no children yet. I want them and I never thought I would have to make a big decision like this to have them naturally. I had already made up my mind to go with a tissue valve. My surgeon advised strongly against a mechanical valve, so my choice was made. I have my surgery on Thursday and reading this story makes me feel more confident in my decision. I teetered for a bit about it, wondering if I could go through a third OHS in 10-15 years, but in the end I chose the freestyle tissue valve. I believe in angels too, and I am thankful that there was one watching over you and your baby.

Thank you so much for sharing your story. I had a bad experience
last year while I was extremely symptomatic --I became pregnant
while I was on coumadin. I was told that since I was only on
the coumadin for 3 weeks of my pregnancy that the baby
wouldnt be affected and I believed them.
I had also been given beta blockers,calcium channel blockers,
aspirin, ativan, etc before I knew of the pregnancy. I found
out at 3 weeks only because I was to get an ablation and they
screened me first. I decided against some advice to the contrary
to try to have it , in spite of 50-50 odds(b/c of rt sided dilation
and CHF,Pulm.HTN, tricuspid regurg)I made it into my 8th week
and miscarried. My perinatal believes it was the stress and upset
that I was under. I'm not sure , it may have also been the drugs
I had to take for A.flutter and CHF-not that I blame anyone.As we
no children and I am 42 yrs, I don't know if I will try again.
did get a tissue valve in case . I need to decide soon.
Your experience gives me hope and I know that all that you endured
is made worthwhile everyday.
Blessings to you both --Dina

Thanks for sharing. I am very happy that you got through it all - you must have a very good guardian angel!
I got my VR at age 25, and was advised by all to consider a tissue valve first as I had not yet had children, and wanted to be able to do so in future without too many complications. I was advised that pregnancy and blood thinners do not mix.
I am glad I had such advice, especially as I read all these posts now.

Thanks Kris. Take care!
Melissa

Latest posts

Back