Precautionary trip to Hosp.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shari Thomas

Hi all

Shari asked me to let you all know that she is taking a precautionary trip to the hospital today. Been having minor chest pains all weekend and since today is a Holiday, the Drs. are not available. She is anticipating coming home this afternoon, but if not I will be back with an update.

Cindy/for Shari

In case the medical staff are not aware of the association in those with BAV, please be sure that the aorta is checked for aneurysm and/or dissection. In the ER, this can be done quickly with a CT scan with contrast.

For anyone reading this, chest pain coming from the aorta in the chest may go away when nitro is given in the ER, which acts quickly to open blood vessels and reduce blood pressure. When this happens, and there is no indication of a heart attack, it has been assumed that nothing is wrong except perhaps "anxiety". In those with disease of their aorta, this can be a life-threatening, deadly misunderstanding.
Even if the pain goes away, the aorta should be evaluated. A trans thoracic echo should not be relied upon as the only test, as it may not show enough of the aorta to see where the problem is. CT with contrast can be a life-saver in this setting.

I recently requested this in the ER for a family member and found the ER doctors very willing to check the aorta via CT.

Best wishes,
Arlyss

For anyone reading this, chest pain coming from the aorta in the chest may go away when nitro is given in the ER, which acts quickly to open blood vessels and reduce blood pressure. ..............
Best wishes,
Arlyss

Interesting information, Arlyss. Thanks for sharing.

Prayers for Shari that all is well. Look forward to hearing an update.

Thanks y'all for the prayers, encouragement and information.

I'm back now. After two radioactive thyroid ablations (the last one Dec 9), my thyroid has gone kaput (as was expected). Because I've been on .125 mcg of digoxin and 12.5 mg (twice daily) of carvedilol (Coreg), my heart rate dropped into the 40's and I needed blood tests so they could adjust the meds.

Lab tests show my Free T4 and Free T3 as low and my TSH as high, so am starting on synthroid. Also have been directed to cut the carvedilol in half and see the cardiologist later this week.

Now that the thyroid has tipped over, I can schedule the OHS for a "slice and dice"... full Cox-Maze IV to permanently correct the chronic/persistent A-fib, AVR and either repair or replace the mitral valve.

Hoping to get that all done soon, while it's winter on the desert. Got things to do, people to see and places to go this summer!

Hi Shari,

I am so sorry to learn of so many things affecting you. I am glad they are adjusting your medications.

You mention your BAV as well as mitral valve. What have you been told about your aorta, the largest artery in the body, which leads away from the heart right at the aortic valve? For those with BAV, the tissue of the aorta may be abnormal, and the entire aorta should be fully examined along with everything else. If the aorta has an aneurysm or enlargement, it is important to know. Have your doctors ever mentioned this possibility to you?

Best wishes,
Arlyss

Arlyss, thanks for your concern.

I asked my cardiologist as well as the surgeon about the aorta and possible damage. They didn't see anything on the heart cath I had this past summer. I have a really funky looking aortic valve that is leaking moderately and mitral that is also leaking. What we don't know is if the A-fib is caused by the valves. My guess is that is what's going on, since the A-fib has remained after fixing the sleep apnea, and turning the thyroid over.

I'm relatively symptom free as long as I don't do anything. Of course, when you live on a farm, that pretty much sucks. The horses, cows, sheep and chickens have nearly forgotten me.

What I do know is that I'm in good hands. I fully trust both my cardio (who has rather poor bedside manners) but is regarded as the "most intelligent" of all by his peers, and the surgeon, who is partnered with a world-renowned surgeon, who will be at his side during the surgery. They NEVER do a surgery like this solo, just in case.

As long as we don't get more than a couple inches more snow, I'll see the cardio tomorrow for a follow up as I understand that adding levothyroxine messes with the warfarin and my INR. While there, I plan to drop by the surgeon's office (same building, one floor below) and see about getting a surgery date.

Got approved for Medicaid and it was retroactive to when this all began last July. Talk about taking a weight off my shoulders. I had no idea how I'd pay for it on less than a 1K per month income.

Even with the hassle of being tired all the time, having sporadic chest pains, winter weather, etc., I'm feeling really confident that summer brings a new me.

Latest posts

Back