Pre Surgery Toaday...chose a mechanical

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosebud54

Surgery is 1 week from tomorrow. My wonderful son will help me with the pre surgery prep and take me to hospital. My surgeon and 6 cardiologists says my valve is working so well, that it will surprise them if they have to replace it while repairing my aortic anureysm. Anyway, I chose a mechanical valve if they must replace. At Bethesda Naval, they use the St. Jude. My surgeon said it's proven and has been around a long time. He also said with home testing, it's much easier to manage.

Carol

Carol:

Sounds as though you're all set.
Your surgeon also sounds very knowledgeable about home-testing. :)
I will pray that your valve is repairable and you won't be getting any "new parts." But your choice is sound and you should do fine, whichever way it goes.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. I'll be having my AVR & aorta repaired the next day. Here's hoping we get in, get out, & get well all in short order.

Daiva

Surgery is 1 week from tomorrow. My wonderful son will help me with the pre surgery prep and take me to hospital. My surgeon and 6 cardiologists says my valve is working so well, that it will surprise them if they have to replace it while repairing my aortic anureysm. Anyway, I chose a mechanical valve if they must replace. At Bethesda Naval, they use the St. Jude. My surgeon said it's proven and has been around a long time. He also said with home testing, it's much easier to manage.

Carol

Is it possible that your son will be able to update us on your progress....good luck

Carol,

I'm new to this forum and I was just recently diagnosed with BAV with moderate regurgitation. I'm in the D.C. area as well as was wondering if you looked at INOVA, Hopkins or Washington Hospital Center for your surgery? I'm just starting my research and looking for any good recommendations.

Best of luck to you with your surgery and recovery!

Bobby81 -- you may not be able to choose hospitals. Get the best surgeon you can (or one that your cardiologist recommends), and follow his (or her) recommendations for a preferred hospital to do the surgery. In my case - I had no choice - and the hospital he chose did an excellent job. UNLESS you're selecting a hospital and asking for a referral to a good surgeon, the choice will probably be surgeon first.

Good luck with your choice - and your surgeries.

Thank you to everyone for the kind words. I'll try to get someone to update for me.

Bobby81, I did not look, the doctor's at Bethesda Naval found my problem 8 years ago and that is where I've been seen since. I have military medical benefits so that's my hospital. I have received excellent care there. However, they do work with the docs at the civilian hospitals and vice versa. Many people I work with have had their or their families heart problems taken care of at Fairfax and say it's top notch. We are lucky, there are many good hospitals around here.

Carol - Bethesda Naval is a great hospital. I actually have a buddy studying medicine there at USUHS. And yes, it is a blessing to have so many great hospitals in close proximity. I've heard great things about Fairfax INOVA as well.

Protimenow - thanks for the advice. I'm new to this and still figuring everything out. This appears to be a great forum to learn a lot of helpful information and receive a lot of support!

Bobby81, this is a great forum with wonderful folks. I also belong to a Heart Valve Journal forum with other great folks, as well. We all are in the same boat or been in the boat and now out...what I've learned about joining these forums is that we all have pretty much the same feelings about open heart surgery. It's great to hear about everyone's feelings and thoughts.

Carol

Latest posts

Back