Pre-surgery again after 15 years!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunshine susan

Hi, everyone! I have been a member of this site for a number of years since I had my congenital bi-cuspid aortic valve replaced with a St Judes mechanical 15 yrs ago. Counseled many during these post surgery years. Well, I am up again and scheduled for July 15. Long story short, my St Judes actually is broken. Due to calcification, one of the leaflets is stuck in the up position, so leaking like a sieve. Dr been watching also a 5.1 aneurysm on my aortic root and my mitral valve also has a leak. Guess you could say I am having the tri-fecta of valve and lube jobs. My broken mechanical aortic valve will be replaced by a tissue valve, my ascending aorta will be replaced to remove the aneurysm, and a ring will be put on the mitral (unless surgeon sees it will be better to just replace it too). Had TEE and cath last week for closer look at the leaks showing on the annual echo. Figured I was just getting old as fatigue and flagging stamina have been my only symptoms. Was I ever surprised! Having been there before, I at least have an idea of what I am in for, yet nothing is ever the same so at the same time have no clue as to what I am in for! I have a wonderful surgeon and cardiologist team so confident it will go well. And hoping recovery is as easy as last time. I have no other health issues, and am looking forward to getting back to normal. Guess I will be joining the "multiple OHS club". Any encouraging words will be helpful and appreciated! Thanks, Sue. :cool:

Sunshine Susan (love your screen name!) -- I had my aortic valve and root replaced at age 63, almost 10 years ago. We have no way of knowing how long these devices will last when they are installed, so your situation is something many of us potentially face. You will have support from all the good folks here; I know I will be sending my best thoughts and prayers.

Even though you have walked this way before, I'd like to add my support and best wishes for your surgery and a smooth recovery. :)

Helen

p.s. Currently just passed the 6 week post op mark and I will be a repeat "customer" also. Not in any rush though ;)

Hey there :)

So sorry to hear you are joining the re-valvers club. Best wishes for your redo
(Also, I thought I'd said something to you earlier as I felt your post was familiar, seems I have not. Apology for not voicing support earlier)

I wonder if you'll feature in a journal article in the future, as I suspect that a St Jude failing from that is about as uncommon as the broken leaflet one some years back.

Best Wishes

Wow Susan.....crazy deal. Best words of encouragement I can think of is that they have had another 15 years of research and experience to put into your surgery. Good luck.

Best wishes from me too! They keep getting better and better at this stuff, so after 15 years you should see a lot of improvements.

Good luck, Susan! It sounds like you're going in with the best attitude possible. I hope you have a smooth recovery and this will be the last time you have to go through this.

Good luck sunshine Sue. It will go even better than the first time, since they've learned more :)

You seem to have a great and positive attitude, keep that going and God willing you will do great!

Back